Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Done with one project, my first oil change which was done with the help of folks on the forum. Now next project. Has anyone installed the above on a 900 classic? First thing to do is remove the hardware that secures the foot peg to the mount. That would be a pin held in place with some kind of half washer that fits in a groove. I can move it but it is to tight to grab with needle nose pliers and I'm a a little paranoid prying it off with a small screwdriver as I believe you need to reuse the washer and pin. Ring a bell with anyone? Any good way to get that washer off?
Thanks.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Picture is worth a thousand words. I'll take pics as I go for the next guy to use...again, need to remove the washer (not sure what it is called) preferably without damaging it! Looks easy all blown up but it's tiny for my bad eyes....

·
Registered
27 Posts
The half washer is called a retaining ring. That particular kind I believe is called an E ring. If you lose it you could buy another at a hardware store but you need to know the size.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The half washer is called a retaining ring. That particular kind I believe is called an E ring. If you lose it you could buy another at a hardware store but you need to know the size.
Thanks...it was on the tip of my tongue but couldn't pull it from my 4 brain cells. Good to have the right terminology. My needle nose pliers weren't even close but just got back from the hardware store and picked up the smallest needle nose they had. I'll try again tomorrow

·
Registered
117 Posts
The best way I have found to remove the E ring is to insert a small flat blade screw driver between the pin and one of the slots in the E ring, give it a twist and be ready to catch it when it comes off. They usually go flying if you are not there to snag it. To install, start the E ring and use your needle nose pliers to squeeze the ring back into the groove.

HTH
Max

·
Registered
6 Posts
Make sure to cup your hand over the retaining clip when removing and installing because they have a tendancy to shoot off of the pin since they are made of spring steel.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Rags and lost parts,etc.

Loosely drap a shop rag around the e clip, and pop it off into the rag with a flat bladed screw driver. One hand holding the rag about the clip, loosely.

Rags seem to be very good at keeping parts from flying off, never to be seen until well after the replacement part has been purchased. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts