Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed one of these? How does it look? Any pics on the bike? Dennis Kirk has a good price on them at $68.99.

·
Registered
742 Posts
you mean the wanna be cover that looks cool but does nothing for air flow???

i'd save you duckets and relocate the suction from behind the box to the front...

·
Registered
109 Posts
To me, the Kuryakyn cover looks much better than stock. And as far as air flow goes, the bike's fuel injected and measures air temp, air pressure, water temp and engine speed (amongst other parameters) and the adjusts fuel air mixture accordingly. So chopping and cutting your air box by the recommendation of someone you have no clue in their qualifications and may have any idea in how all this stuff interacts makes no sense. The replacement airbox case is almost $70 if you need to replace it after a failed mod attempt. Kawasaki has teams of engineers and testers that spend thousands of hours working these things out and if another hole or relocated tube would make the bike perform better; it would already be there. Browse all the forums and you’ll find guys that have replaced their exhausts and ECU’s or complete air boxes or made some half cocked modification and have issues with the fuel injection warning light being on or idling or throttle response or something. Hmmm, wonder why? And those that make claims about performance improvements never ever back them up with pre and post dyno data. In the old anaolg days of carburetion and air/oil cooled engines without concerns for emissions, you could mess with things and make horsepower gains. But with electronic controls on these bikes the manufacturers squeeze out just about every single horsepower they can and still keep the engine reliable. It’s your ride and if you like the look, make it so and don’t worry about someone else’s opinion, even mine. Just for comparison, I bought mine from http://www.westendmotorsports.com/kuryakyn-scoop-cover-vulcan-06up-models-p-21231.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
To me, the Kuryakyn cover looks much better than stock. And as far as air flow goes, the bike's fuel injected and measures air temp, air pressure, water temp and engine speed (amongst other parameters) and the adjusts fuel air mixture accordingly. So chopping and cutting your air box by the recommendation of someone you have no clue in their qualifications and may have any idea in how all this stuff interacts makes no sense. The replacement airbox case is almost $70 if you need to replace it after a failed mod attempt. Kawasaki has teams of engineers and testers that spend thousands of hours working these things out and if another hole or relocated tube would make the bike perform better; it would already be there. Browse all the forums and you’ll find guys that have replaced their exhausts and ECU’s or complete air boxes or made some half cocked modification and have issues with the fuel injection warning light being on or idling or throttle response or something. Hmmm, wonder why? And those that make claims about performance improvements never ever back them up with pre and post dyno data. In the old anaolg days of carburetion and air/oil cooled engines without concerns for emissions, you could mess with things and make horsepower gains. But with electronic controls on these bikes the manufacturers squeeze out just about every single horsepower they can and still keep the engine reliable. It’s your ride and if you like the look, make it so and don’t worry about someone else’s opinion, even mine. Just for comparison, I bought mine from http://www.westendmotorsports.com/kuryakyn-scoop-cover-vulcan-06up-models-p-21231.html
Wow...

FWIW, many have changed out for after-market intakes and pipes, then added a fuel controller, and gotten MUCH better performance out of their bikes. Bike engineers, just like auto engineers, aren't interested in getting the best performance and/or power out of their machines or there wouldn't be such a HUGE market for aftermarket accessories out there. One of the easiest to install with decent returns is a CAI (cold air intake) which has been known to help with fuel mileage, HP, etc... The "engineers", in fact, recommend tire pressures that do not allow for the maximum mileage out of the tires we put on our bikes. Just because they engineer it to run "well", they don't necessarily engineer it to run "the best" in all circumstances.

Not trying to be contrary, just saying...

Anyway Twins, I do agree, it's your bike, do what ya like. If you think something looks cool and/or enhances your ride, go for it! YOUR ride, YOUR enjoyment! Those Kuryakyn air covers do have an interesting look!

·
Registered
109 Posts
There's a huge aftermarket for all this stuff because as W. C. Fields famously said, "There's a sucker born every minute." It's your ride and have fun playing with it. But as I stated previously; I'm awfully skeptical of these performance improvement claims without being backed up by real data such as before and after dyno runs. Trouble is, I am an engineer and know what it takes to design and build a motorcycle engine and make it perform it's best. There are dozens and dozens of parameters that go into all the decisions required. Myself, I wouldn't spend $300 or $400 for a big air kit with the idea of gaining a puported hp or 2 let alone a couple of grand on a new exhaust and aftermarket ECU.What are you going to get, maybe, maybe 3-4hp if you're lucky? When I'm riding, the bike and I weigh almost 900 pounds, I doubt a couple horsepower are going to make a discernable difference. I'd buy a bigger bike for that money. Just saying. But a bike becomes a personal thing and an extension of one's self with how we dress them up and modify them to make them our own. There are things I'd spend money on and someone else wouldn't and vice versa. But when we're riding, we all wave to each other don't we?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have one of these also and do like the look on the bike. Granted it is bling, but bling is what I was looking for.

I agree with MrSpock. You could spend $250 on an airkit that advertises a moderate HP gain, then spend some more for a dyno run just to make sure they were not pulling your chain.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Has anyone installed one of these? How does it look? Any pics on the bike? Dennis Kirk has a good price on them at $68.99.
Count me as another satisfied cover purchaser. I don't need the costly upgrade, if I really wanted it I'd have bought a bigger bike (that's the answer guys if you really want it). Way to go MRSPOCK & Dan20164 :)
We all mod our bikes our own way & if we like it, that's it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
this has turned into a rant thread! :D

i agree spending the money for aftermarket pipes/bak JUST for the hp gain is ridiculous... but then again i bought my bike with vances on it and added a $45 air cleaner so i spent less than you and got more air flow AND looks!?! :p

although... to spend for the potential increase in fuel mileage is another story... i have an '04 monte carlo 6cyl that stock chevy says it gets 29MPG... i added a cold air intake, throttle body spacer and a hi flow cat to it -- about $850 total ... on a drive down to the OBX i got 34.5MPG. i don't ride hard and still am getting 32+MPG after 2 years of having the mods on...

to each his own! modding is an addiction...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your input, and those who posted pics. That helps alot.

jagered, I was fully aware that it was just for looks and offered no performance gains. And quite honestly I am not looking for any as I enjoy my bike the way it is.

Let's keep this a place to share info and a mutual love of the sport and our rides and not a place to take shots at those who may not be exactly like you.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
There's a huge aftermarket for all this stuff because as W. C. Fields famously said, "There's a sucker born every minute." It's your ride and have fun playing with it. But as I stated previously; I'm awfully skeptical of these performance improvement claims without being backed up by real data such as before and after dyno runs. Trouble is, I am an engineer and know what it takes to design and build a motorcycle engine and make it perform it's best. There are dozens and dozens of parameters that go into all the decisions required. Myself, I wouldn't spend $300 or $400 for a big air kit with the idea of gaining a puported hp or 2 let alone a couple of grand on a new exhaust and aftermarket ECU.What are you going to get, maybe, maybe 3-4hp if you're lucky? When I'm riding, the bike and I weigh almost 900 pounds, I doubt a couple horsepower are going to make a discernable difference. I'd buy a bigger bike for that money. Just saying. But a bike becomes a personal thing and an extension of one's self with how we dress them up and modify them to make them our own. There are things I'd spend money on and someone else wouldn't and vice versa. But when we're riding, we all wave to each other don't we?
Aye, we do wave. :) Dynos do prove up to a 10% improvement though. Granted, on a 900, that's not a lot, but it proves that the engineers don't do it "perfect" by all standards. In most cases, they design the engines for emissions greatness, not performance greatness...

Agreed, I'm not out to win any races with the 900, but I'm still a firm believer that the design of most things "stock" can be improved per individual wants, and the redneck air mod, mentioned previously, that allows inflow of cooler air than the stock placement that sucks air from the hottest part of the bike (without bypassing any part of the filter) isn't necessarily evil just because it goes away from original design.

Mostly, it's all about individual tastes and what each individual is willing to spend for comfort, performance, looks, etc. Now, to an "engineering" topic we can all agree on, which is: I wish those engineers would have spent a little more time on the seat's comfort factor! :)

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Its looks pretty good, not my favorite but better than stock.
Sarge, that's a LOT of chrome! I almost need shades just to look at the pic! I do like how that kury cover looks as compared to stock.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Sarge, that's a LOT of chrome! I almost need shades just to look at the pic! I do like how that kury cover looks as compared to stock.
Thanks, I think I’m goanna do a hyper charger and probably the Britt fender with the mimic wheels, why? Because I love taking a perfectly engineered bike and making it my own!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts