Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one tried fitting a koso tach to there 1600 ive got it to read by wrapping the sensor wire around the spark plug lead but it was so erratic it drove me crazy,ive tried connecting it to the negatives on the coils with a tach adapter with no joy and on one coil with no adapter no joy, driving me crazy,it might just end up being a good looking accessory

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah I don't really need one but think i would look really cool to have one. Let us know if you get it working correctly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see on the koso site they have an upgraded model but in ebay its the koso dl universal tach bb 552b80 22110075

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
326 Posts
I went with a Bikers Choice from Powersports Superstore..
Simple hookup...
Hot, ground, dimmer, and coil...
Lights up blue, looks good and works great !!!

Hardest part was finding a bracket to mount on the handle bars cuz the white face version doesnt come with one which was a bummer...
Found it from Orange County Cycles I think...

You dont need a dual fire adaptor on a 1600...

BTW...the correct coil post to use is closest to the frame...
I used the right side coil ...
Use a 10mm wrench to remove both mounting bolts and flip the coil around for access to it...
I also made a harness with male and female crimp-on connects and some heat shrink tubing...
Plug and play...

Back to football !!!

Luckymann77

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive sent an email to koso they said the erratic display is usually a bad earth so I have a direct earth to the battery as well as one to the frame and the pick up I have wrapped the sensor wire around the spark plug leads off the no.1 coil at idle it will bounce around from 8 to 14 then down to 6 and holding revs it will go from say 20 to 28 then back down to 18 then 23 -28 -20 etc ,I have tried connecting to positive and negative coils with no luck (not at the same time ;-) )

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive sent an email to koso they said the erratic display is usually a bad earth so I have a direct earth to the battery as well as one to the frame and the pick up I have wrapped the sensor wire around the spark plug leads off the no.1 coil at idle it will bounce around from 8 to 14 then down to 6 and holding revs it will go from say 20 to 28 then back down to 18 then 23 -28 -20 etc ,I have tried connecting to positive and negative coils with no luck (not at the same time ;-) )Ive also made some new handle bars to allow for my 6 ft 4inch frame

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
was that the plug on the out side of the coil? positive I think

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
326 Posts
Nope...
The coil on the right side of your bike...
The coil terminal on the left of that coil...
Its the terminal up under the gas tank closest to the frame's backbone...
You have to remove the coil to get access to the terminal...
Remove both the 10mm mounting nuts and pull the coil off the studs to turn the coil around...

Also, all power and ground wiring is available in your headlight bucket...

Hope you get it working !!!

Good Luck !!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have put a video on you tube under thmax koso tach

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Woo Hoo I finally got my koso digital tach to work properly ,the sensor wire had to be connected to the crank shaft sensor all I had to do was unbolt the alternator cover' among the plugs there is a four wire plug 2 black/ yellow,1 black /blue and1 black/orange that connects to the crankshaft sensor connect the sensor wire from the tach to the black blue wire .I only used a thin wire and was able to just poke the wire into the slot and the just push the plug together viola ,perfect a nice 8-900 rpm at idle, went for a ride (god dam they a nice bike) and 2500 rpm at 100 kph (60mph) im a happy man after 6 years ,my new handle bars I made are really comfortable too,what do ya think ?not everybodies cup of tea but we got corners around here ,bring on summer

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a koso tach hooked up to my 900 custom man I have 2 posts in here about it.

Search post named( help with Koso tach wiring) and (Part 2 of tach fail).
in the last post I came to the conclusion that I needed a tach adapter made one at radiosmack for 5 bucks and its still working. check out the pics and vid maybe it will help. I wired the ground straight to battery the tach lead hooked in to both sides of the negative coil wires with the home made tach adapter from parts from radiosmack .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
0:)0:)yeah I saw your posts ,I actually made attach adapter like you say for 5 dollars what did I have to lose,sorry didn't work on a 1600 apparently its not needed, I tried it all for this model of tach the crank sensor wire is the only way to go ,as I keep saying to the wife "trust me"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts