Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someone did this? Or have put Ninja top end? I have '99 Vulcan.
I'm worried only about carbs, KLE uses CVK34 while Vulcan comes with CVK32. Will there be problems if i put KLE500 top end because of that?
I can also make 2 into 1 on my Vulcan if I put KLE top end since KLE comes with 2-1 exhaust from factory, there is no crossover pipe.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I don't know about the KLE500 except that it looks cool and would be something I'd like to ride at least once. (they aren't available in the US)

Some time back I did a parts comparison between the EN500 and EX500 engines. What I found is that from the wrist pins down the engines are identical! Crankshaft, rods, clutch, transmission.... Also the rings, valves, and valve springs are interchangeable. Aside from the camshaft profile, cylinder head, and pistons the engines are mechanically the same. (the cylinder head difference may only be color)

Regarding the carburetors, The 32mm and 34mm units will clamp to the engine but their intake flanges are different sizes so it won't connect up the stock airbox. If you are willing to experiment you could install pod air filters on the 34mm carbs (with a DynoJet 2128 jet kit). I ran 34mm carbs on Hidalgo for several years. The engine revs higher but at the cost of low end power. Oh, and noise. There is a lot of noise from the intake track that is normally muffled by the stock airbox.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Bill,

carbs are unfortunately sold, ordered cylinder with pistons for now, will see about head after some research and checking specs between manuals.
It *should* run with existing 32mm carbs on my Vulcan, maybe some tweaking will be required.

KLE is great all around bike, i'm surprised that it isn't available in US. One of the best for the price bike.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, got the cylinder with pistons, its IDENTICAL to Vulcan apart from few stamped numbers and cylinder paint which is slightly darker compared to Vulcan's. Pistons are same, wrist pins too, cylinder bore, height etc, completely interchangeable.
Left are parts from Vulcan, right is from KLE.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts