Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, bought my wife a 2006 Vulcan 900 classic LT. Great bike, but differs from her Vstar a bit in the fact that the turn signals do not self cancel. invested in a Kisan Signal minder and i"m having a hell of time. signals now self cancel, but you still have to push the button in in order to signal for the next turn. the kit talks about some return springs and some foam bushings. they will not work in the switch housing on this bike,. anybody got some advice before i send this thing back??? and yes i am thinking about trying to retrain her but you know how that goes.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
ok, bought my wife a 2006 Vulcan 900 classic LT. Great bike, but differs from her Vstar a bit in the fact that the turn signals do not self cancel. invested in a Kisan Signal minder and i"m having a hell of time. signals now self cancel, but you still have to push the button in in order to signal for the next turn. the kit talks about some return springs and some foam bushings. they will not work in the switch housing on this bike,. anybody got some advice before i send this thing back??? and yes i am thinking about trying to retrain her but you know how that goes.
Did you go to page 30 of the installation manual to see if this applies to your switch? It states that neither the springs nor plugs can be used with that particular switch but their is a fix.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I had to cut the foam plugs down to make them work. Trim a bit at a time and just use trial and error. I put the signal minder in my wife's 09 900 Classic. Page 30 does not apply to the 09 Classic which should be the same as yours. The wiring for the brake delay and tail light flashing: blue = brake light, gray = right turn signal, green = left turn signal, at least on the 09 Classic.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Did you go to page 30 of the installation manual to see if this applies to your switch? It states that neither the springs nor plugs can be used with that particular switch but their is a fix.
Hi Sojourner,

i have been caught a few times forgetting to turn my blinkers off and it could be a bit dangerous, i know I should learn to always do it but the minder would be an extra safety . It looks like you have one.
Could you expand a bit on this mod?
Where is the turn relay? (under the seat?)
Which model signal minder? SM-3 or 3M?
What is the fix?

Thanks a lot

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Hi Sojourner,

i have been caught a few times forgetting to turn my blinkers off and it could be a bit dangerous, i know I should learn to always do it but the minder would be an extra safety . It looks like you have one.
Could you expand a bit on this mod?
Where is the turn relay? (under the seat?)
Which model signal minder? SM-3 or 3M?
What is the fix?

Thanks a lot
I do use the Signal Minder but on another bike so I can't be much help to you.
E.Z. Voyager has installed one on a Vulcan so you might want to PM him.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Yes it is under the seat.
The one for the 900 is the SM-3
It is a replacement for the flasher. While the socket on the 900 only has 2 pins the kit includes a wire for the third pin that connects to the battery. It also has another set of wires with connectors that go to the brake switch and rear turn signals. You also need to put two foam springs (you need to trim them) in the turn signal switch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
frenchie,
i am still working on mine, its actually been too cold here in the great state of washington to go out and mess with it. the signal relay on my 06 is under the seat. remove the seat, and then i removed the tool kit tray to gain access to the battery. attached to the front side of the battery box is a small relay looking device. it is the turn signal relay/flasher. as was mentioned in the earlier post you will have to utilize the included ground wire with the kit. i am hoping the suggested fix will get me to the finish line. i.e. cutting the plugs in half length wise and gluing them in place. we will see. Kisan has been pretty good and i am still waiting for the answer from them after sending photos of the switch on my 06. hope this helps. i still can't understand what Kawasaki was thinking of when they did not equip this bike with self cancelling signals, probably saved them $10 a machine

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
One point I should make is every so often my Signal Minder would get confused and when I would apply the switch for a left turn it would flash one time then switch over to the right side. It didn't do it all the time, but once is enough to get you in trouble.
Signal Minder's manual mentions that this can happen and it's the result of the single indicator lamp on the console causing cross talk between left and right.
The way around it is to pull the bulb or to do the diode fix where the left and right indicators are isolated from each other.
Just a heads-up.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yes it is under the seat.
The one for the 900 is the SM-3
It is a replacement for the flasher. While the socket on the 900 only has 2 pins the kit includes a wire for the third pin that connects to the battery. It also has another set of wires with connectors that go to the brake switch and rear turn signals. You also need to put two foam springs (you need to trim them) in the turn signal switch.
Thanks a lot for this E.Z, will try this mod.

·
Registered
227 Posts
frenchie,
i am still working on mine, its actually been too cold here in the great state of washington to go out and mess with it. the signal relay on my 06 is under the seat. remove the seat, and then i removed the tool kit tray to gain access to the battery. attached to the front side of the battery box is a small relay looking device. it is the turn signal relay/flasher. as was mentioned in the earlier post you will have to utilize the included ground wire with the kit. i am hoping the suggested fix will get me to the finish line. i.e. cutting the plugs in half length wise and gluing them in place. we will see. Kisan has been pretty good and i am still waiting for the answer from them after sending photos of the switch on my 06. hope this helps. i still can't understand what Kawasaki was thinking of when they did not equip this bike with self cancelling signals, probably saved them $10 a machine
Thanks for explanation Sarge205. I don't quite understand how to fit those "foam spring" that you have to trim!
I had a look in the switch casing, there no room left in there!
Any photos to post?

·
Registered
227 Posts
One point I should make is every so often my Signal Minder would get confused and when I would apply the switch for a left turn it would flash one time then switch over to the right side. It didn't do it all the time, but once is enough to get you in trouble.
Signal Minder's manual mentions that this can happen and it's the result of the single indicator lamp on the console causing cross talk between left and right.
The way around it is to pull the bulb or to do the diode fix where the left and right indicators are isolated from each other.
Just a heads-up.
Thanks Sojourner, will keep this in mind.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The kit includes foam plugs and springs. I had no luck with springs, however, if you take just one of the foam plugs, cut it in half, place half in each cavity it works fine. I also reset the dip switches for 10 seconds of flashing. Options are 10, 20 and 30.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Putting the unit in was easy. The problem I'm having is finding red lens for the rear tail lights (I want to keep it stock if possible). The amber are illegal here if they are on as running lights and flash with the brake light. Haven't had a problem with the men in blue yet, but I would like to avoid it in the future.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
signal minder

don't have any photos of the cavity, but i'll do my best to explain what i found in my 06. once you split the switch casing on the handlebar, you will be able to see the unit the lever is attached to. i removed the small plastic button off of the switch lever so i could basically remove the switch from the aluminum housing. be very careful in manipulating the switch, the wires can break loose of the solder joints ( don't ask how i know this please) once you have the small milk white plastic box isolated and loose you can turn it over and you will see a cavity on one side. the story i get is you cut one of the foam plugs in half lengthwise and fit it into the void. then using a very thin blade of sometype, gently push the inner switch towards the foam plug. this should create a void on the other side so a foam strip can be place there. the idea is to allow that switch block to travel far enough to activate but not so far as to lock. i haven't actually done this yet but if it ever gets about 20 degrees here i am going to give it a shot. hope this helps. also you may wind up removing the switch lever from the switch, be careful there is a spring and a small detent ball inside. do not lose either, they are next to impossible to find on the floor and ever harder to replace should you lose one.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'd really like to have this self-canceling capability, but this device seems to have a lot of the baling wire and tape attributes to it, for a device that isn't exactly cheap. I realize that this is due mostly to the way Ma Kaw implemented the turn signals, but that was known by Kisan. I tend to think that they could have done a mite better job for the Kawi version. Unfortunately, I am not aware of another device that works better.

I'm still torn as to whether or not just to bite the bullet and see if I can make the thing work right, on the first try. I really hate installing things that require 14 attempts to make them work... So, I've been putting it off in the hope that someone else will come up with a better solution. It's really too bad that Kawi decided to leave this capability off of the 900 series.... I've managed to do pretty well at training myself to hit the cancel, but it's not a 100% thing. :mad: It's pretty hard to teach old dog, new tricks... :p

For anyone interested in this device, there's an earlier thread on it that has some good, detailed info on the install, starting on page 3 of the thread, by Pretzel and Pacomutt.
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19284

ride safe

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just forced myself, that after every turn, I automatically hit the reset with my thumb. Didn't take long to develop the habit.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
A less expensive way to remind yourself to turn off the signal lights is to go to Auto Zone and buy some small 4" LED strips or small oblong round LED lights. Wire into each signal and mount them either on your mirrors or like I have, on my Memphis Shades batwing. They are higher and in my line of sight, so I don't forget to turn them off.... cost.... $15.00....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts