Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out for a ride and heard my cell fone go off so I dove in the first parking lot I came upon and it happened to be the new Indian Motorcycle dealer. (coincidentally just located right next store to the Harley dealer) There were two sales guys standing out front looking at me as I drove in and the place looked like a ghost town! On the other hand, the Harley dealership was booming with bikes. Wife wanted to meet for lunch so I couldn't go look at the Indians but as I drove off the sales guys looked like they were gonna cry seeing a potential customer just drive away. :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have long wondered why two attempts to revive the Indian name have failed. (I consider the newest iteration to be a failure). It's fine to have a few of the nostalgia bikes in the line up, but to base the whole enchilada on several old models and hang leather tassles off the grips and skirt the fenders on otherwise plain old V-twins and then ask $30K plus for them............well it won't work. My VN2000 Classic LT is just as good a motorcycle and it cost me half what one of those would be. Where's the value?? Harley didn't rest on their laurels after the employee buyout from AMF Voit and they are (almost), once again at the top of their game.

No, don't feel sorry for the salesmen. The outfit has again, shot themselves in the foot.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
With as expensive as a Harley is now, surprised to see they are still strumming along. Figure with the credit crunch, unsure of job market (since I am involved in that also) and such, new bike dealers themselves would just have slower walkthrough, but seems that it is as busy as ever.

Indian and Victory, I do not know, but I can not afford any of it, hence my '96 "trade". Do not think I will give up riding for a second time though, should not have left after the first 15 years, not going to do it again.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I gave it up for awhile also for the same reason-money, or a lack of. Life is easier now and I will ride until I am no longer physically able to.

As far as the big buck scooters go, I have yet to see an Indian in my area and the Victorys are far and few in between. As far as I know there are no Indian dealers anywhere on the west coast. Harley's doing good though and I expect they will continue to here in the west. At least with the Harley you get something for your money besides leather tassles. :p

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I would like to ride a Harley just to say I have done it. Will not know if I will ever have one in my stable, time will tell. For now, anything on 2 wheels (and a motor, or course) will suit me fine.

Yea, do not see any Indians out here. I saw a guy try to sell one close to me could not get anyone to buy. I guess as long as the small cycle shops continue to support, then all is ok. I just like the dependability if I can get it (listen to me....my bike is in the shop, geez, better be the last time, ha!!).

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I would like to ride a Harley just to say I have done it. Will not know if I will ever have one in my stable, time will tell. For now, anything on 2 wheels (and a motor, or course) will suit me fine.

Yea, do not see any Indians out here. I saw a guy try to sell one close to me could not get anyone to buy. I guess as long as the small cycle shops continue to support, then all is ok. I just like the dependability if I can get it (listen to me....my bike is in the shop, geez, better be the last time, ha!!).
I have owned a Harley Ultra, rode an Indian once, rode a Victory, and have a few friends that own Harleys and Victorys... of the three.. Victory has a superior bike, but I do not like their touring bike... looks like something out of Star Wars. The Indians are for those looking ot be "Old School" with a Marlon Brando look in my opinon, but shake and rattle like the Harleys. Many Harley riders will say they lover their Harleys, and there is not another bike near what they have... HA... they have fallen in to Harley's master plan... Harley Bike/Harley Lifestyle (was there w=once myself). My new 2008 1600 Nomad is twice the bike that my 2007 Ultra was (though the ultra has many good features as far as comfort goes), and runs about 1/4 as hot as the Harley did... and we are talking apples to apples when it comes to engines 1552cc to 1584cc for the Harley... the Harley shook, rattled, and ran too hot for comfort in the summer... the Nomad is smooth and just slightly warm, and will run off and leave the Harley... but I bet I won't have any holes in my jeans due to hot pipes this year :D

Given a buy American only choice now... I'd say go Victory :cool:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Like MusicMan, I have owned and ridden Harley Davidsons. I had Bowling Alley Sportster that gave me nothing but trouble and I had a 1200 Sporty that was actually a good motorcycle. But for the value, the Asian bikes cannot be touched. I would compare my VN2KLT with the Harley Heritage and for the 5-6$K difference, I'll stick with the Vulcan. And as already stated, liquid cooling and gobs more HP make me cooler and I smile alot when when I leave the HDs in the dust.:D

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Can't say I've seen any Indians in my neck of the woods in a LONG time, other than one just down the street, one of the originals, that the guy keeps as a show bike only. My neighbor has a Victory, and swears by them. He switched from his Harley as he said, and I quote... "I wanted something I could ride ANYWHERE, not just to the shop and back."

He's got a much larger powerplant in his Victory, but my 900 custom is comparable in size and looks. In fact, for a short time, I almost thought it was an older version (1 or 2 years) of the current 09 custom SE.

All in all, he's really impressed with my Vulcan, but still swears by the Victory. After I've gotten a few more miles under my belt, maybe I'll take up his offer to give it a test ride and see... :) Until then, I'm cruisin' in style on a head turning piece of machinery!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Can't say I've seen any Indians in my neck of the woods in a LONG time, other than one just down the street, one of the originals, that the guy keeps as a show bike only. My neighbor has a Victory, and swears by them. He switched from his Harley as he said, and I quote... "I wanted something I could ride ANYWHERE, not just to the shop and back."

He's got a much larger powerplant in his Victory, but my 900 custom is comparable in size and looks. In fact, for a short time, I almost thought it was an older version (1 or 2 years) of the current 09 custom SE.

All in all, he's really impressed with my Vulcan, but still swears by the Victory. After I've gotten a few more miles under my belt, maybe I'll take up his offer to give it a test ride and see... :) Until then, I'm cruisin' in style on a head turning piece of machinery!
I'm sure when you do you will love the throttle responce the Victory has... but don't try to go too far between gas stations... they are gas hogs.!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
A guy I know had an Indian, and he hated it. He said it was like a bolt together custom bike- s/s engine, tranny by someone else, frame by someone else. He had tons of problems with it and got rid of it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
but I do not like their touring bike... looks like something out of Star Wars.
Thats funny cuz that is the main reason I love the Victory Vision. Cuz if you are going for a Goldwing touring bike, it is something that looks like nothing else out there. It reminds me of a old caddy with the tailfins. But they sound like a real bike, unlike the wings, which sound like a honda civic.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Thats funny cuz that is the main reason I love the Victory Vision. Cuz if you are going for a Goldwing touring bike, it is something that looks like nothing else out there. It reminds me of a old caddy with the tailfins. But they sound like a real bike, unlike the wings, which sound like a honda civic.
I'm not much on the newer Goldwings... a cool bike to me one should be able to see more than the valve covers of the engine... look at the old Valkeries... they were "cool" Goldwings.!! At least the Vision can be see thru at the engine I suppose :rolleyes:

·
Registered
183 Posts
One thing that I think is sadly lacking in American brand bikes is the entry level bike. Not just entry level as far as being the lowest priced bike on the floor, but something a younger person can afford and a beginner can feel comfortable riding. I've been on the Sportsters and they are top heavy and slightly awkward to steer, never mind the Harley sound and vibration that you either love or hate.

What I think happens in a lot of cases is someone may have to go with a smaller bike because of affordability (sticker price + insurance), then they continue to visit the dealer for service or accessories, then they move up to the bigger bikes when they can finally afford / handle them. They are likely to stay with the brand they started with.

I would LOVE to buy American if I found an American bike that was as comfortable and sweet riding as my Kawasaki that I got for $3K (used).

·
Registered
941 Posts
The new harley's stock are pretty quiet and don't vib much. Harley has even said they are making their bikes quieter and not offering the super loud pipes through the dealer, cuz they want to combat the anti-motorcycle people. They say us people that have loud bikes are going to ruin it for everyone. That is why a guy know didn't want to change to a newer harley. He actually went and found his old harley he had sold a few years before.
I have to agree they don't have a entry level bike. And the cheapest sportster is striped and aren't very sporty. My Vulcan 750 was more sporty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts