Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang,
I've ridden 4 cylinders bikes my whole life (about 30 years of riding) but never owned a twin. Last year I purchased a left over 2015 classic which I love. My question is how much RPM is just too much? Since there is no tach on the bike I'm always fearful that I might be pushing the twin too hard? BTW I'm not a fast rider it's just the vibration of a twin is just not the same as a 4 banger :)

Last but not least it's been said about 10000 times and I agree, I wish the bike had a sixth gear, with that being said can you just drive the engine to hard for to long going 75 or so on the highway?

Thanks and be careful out there,
Bart

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
No problem with the engine at 75mph in 5th gear apart from it being rather "buzzy." As jimmy74 implies the engine has a rev limiter which will prevent over-revving, and one can ride quite a lot faster than 75mph in 5th before hitting the limiter.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I ran mine at 75mph for hours, repeatedly, without any bad effects. Get off interstate, gas up, get back on interstate and ride until gas light came on. Repeat. That was carrying my fat ass plus hard bags for a lot of miles. At that speed you're talking about running 4000-4500 RPM, so about 60% max RPM. Yeah, it will be noisy, but shouldn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had my 900 up to 105 (on a race track, MIS) and it still had more to give. Stock pulleys. I had her wound out as far as I dared many times, but still never found that limit. I think the redline for the 900 is around 8500-9000 rpm.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
My bike (not a 900) 't have a tach either. After riding it for a while you will learn the sound of the engine, or the "whine" as some call it. You will learn when to shift on "regular" speeds and also at higher speeds. It just takes time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
basically while around town/low speed i try to sit below 4k rpm or before the vibes kick in. while on motorways/highways i just bang it in 5th and cruise as fast as the road and lack of police allows but i do prefer to go the backroads where possible as they are more enjoyable to ride on

·
Registered
256 Posts
You might want to consider a pulley change to bring the revs down a bit. I did the front only and while, theoretically, there should be some loss of power I didn't find it noticeable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts