Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings,

I'm new to my 2010 V900 Classic LT, I've had it for roughly 3 weeks.

When I first got the bike, when I turned on the key, the bike made a sound. Then when I turned the kill switch to run position, I would hear another sound. This has been described by another forum member as:

Keyclick
...First sound: Brrrrrrzzzziiiiicccchip
Kill Switch to On/Run
...Second sound: Whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Once I started the bike, if it was cold, it would run at a very high idle until it warmed up, then once warmed up the rpm's would drop down to a smooth and quiet level after a couple minutes. Note: I have Cobra pipes, so that high idle is very loud.

In the last few days I've noticed when I turned the kill switch to run, there was no longer a second sound, it's just silent. Then, when I start the bike, it starts at a low idle, and kinda struggles (as in its a little starved for fuel). Then over the next minute or so the idle slowly starts to increase in RPM's (but not to the previous high idle level), until it warms up, then lowers down to a quiet idle.

On one of my recent cold starts, the bike would turn over but not stay running, until I compensated with varying throttle over about 5 seconds (then it was fine, albeit low rpm).

My question is, what was that second sound when I was moving the kill switch to On/Run, and why is that no longer happening? Is this related to the high idle no longer occurring?

I've ridden the bike daily since this started for about 3 days. It seems to run fine, the only difference is startup. No sound on run switch, and no very high idle when cold. Note: The kill switch does turn off the bike ok, that's how I stop the bike.

If it helps, I have about 3500 miles on the bike, it has Cobra pipes + Cobra Powrflo air intake. Any ideas are very appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
171 Posts
That whiiiiiirl noise is the fuel pump priming and pressurized the fuel system. If it's not going that, I'm actually surprised it even starts to be honest. I believe the fuel pump might have its own fuse, so I'd check that first and see if it's blown.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, yeah it runs fine otherwise. So does that explain the lack of high idle when the bike is started? I will check the fuses after work. Thank you.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well...actually...maybe not. The fuel pump priming might be the noise you hear when you click the key over.

Perhaps the second noise you don't hear anymore is actually the solonoids valves under the air filter cover (assuming yours has those) that might actually control the high idle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Interesting theory, I can see how that would explain the lack of kill switch/run position Whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound, and the lack of high idle. I just did some quick searches on that, and it sounds like some people purposely disable the "Idle Solonoid Control" (ISC) because they dont like the ticking sound it makes, or they don't like the high idle with aftermarket pipes (which I can understand, so loud!).

That also would explain why on one of the cold starts recently I had to compensate with throttle for a few seconds to keep it running. This is bringing me back to childhood when we had to feather the gas peddle when cold starting our family cars.

I'm hoping this is simply a fuse, and not a larger repair. I like the bike to run as it was intended!

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
218 Posts
While not totally related, with Cobra pipes and air intake, you should really consider some form of fuel management.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While not totally related, with Cobra pipes and air intake, you should really consider some form of fuel management.
There is fuel management, I did notice a box under the seat, I will have to check to see what it is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It sounds to me like you turned the choke off. Have you been cleaning or wrenching in the engine area where you could have accidentally made contact with it? Or the idle control which is hanging on a cable near the intake. Twisting it forward will increase idle , back will lower it. It also pulls out or in for a choke effect

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
It sounds to me like you turned the choke off. Have you been cleaning or wrenching in the engine area where you could have accidentally made contact with it? Or the idle control which is hanging on a cable near the intake. Twisting it forward will increase idle , back will lower it. It also pulls out or in for a choke effect
Ogg, are driving a VN900? The bike is fuel injected, there is no choke. The mixture and high idle are controlled by the ECU. The normal idle adjuster is mounted on the air filter cover facing forward, but that doesn't have any effct on high idle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine rotates forward and reverse for idle adjustment , but also pulls out about a 1/4 inch and allows more air or some choke like effect because it'll idle right up if I do it. I only found this out by accidentally over filling on my first oil and filter change. Followed the recommendation for the 07 custom, 3.9 with a filter change. The service records were pretty informative and the PREV did Everything, and right on time, but was having a Suzuki/ Honda dealer service it in Kentucky...Kaw filter, honda oil. I run T6 Rotella 5w40 synthetic and a k&n oil filter, standard copper core/nickel plugs for a hotter spark and just change them more often. Iridium or platinum are fine if you want a consistent spark and 50 to 100k , but I like to tinker with my bike so I like the better flame. Anyway, arlen ness big sucker intake and filter unit, cobra pipes minus the baffles, and I'm expecting this thing to roar to life for me. Ran smooth for a day then progressively got sloppier and flatter to the point I actually thought I had bent a valve or lost a plug already. It had a flat flappy tractor kinda sound, especially on deceleration, and throttle response was falling off daily...had me worried. But read a forum linked to this site and it had all the overfill symptoms. I resisted as I had went went off factory specs. BUt...it was awfully high in the view glass. The bottom of my filter dripped a little today and I knew what was up.Drained it, cleaned up the filter element and shot some B-12 spray into it. Refilled only 2.2 since I left the filter on, and she sprang to life as soon as I hit the button.At perfect vertical I'm dead center on the glass so I'm gonna stay with this volume from now on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts