Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an alternative kickstand available for the Beast? Toughest part of riding is getting it upright. No really, but I did put a Nomad stand on my 07 1500 that got it a bit more upright.

I really like this machine...I enjoy the mass, the road friendly manners and of course the torque. I do believe we own some real 'stump pullers.' I'm looking forward to some road time next year, we're running out of summer here in MN.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't know what year your bike is, but the 2004 models had a shorter kickstand. I would think a kickstand for a newer bike would do the trick. Mine is a 2008 and I think it is about right. I read a magazine article where they tested the vn2000, Stratoliner, Harley Electra Glide, and Honda 1800. One of the complaints from all four test riders was the short kickstand on the vn2000. Kawasaki must have read the review because they made it longer on the later models. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I was always nervous about leaning this big heavy bike over that far onto the stand. Here's what I did:

I call it Frankenstein's boot. It's 2 thicknesses of 3/4" plywood with a shim on top and a plastic shim on bottom. Painted black and attached with wood screws. The kickstand is easier to drill through than you might think. I had to play with the angle a bit to get the bottom to sit flush on the ground.

I assume you have an early year? As I understand it, getting a later year won't help, because it's the place it's mounted that's different (I could be wrong about that).

·
Registered
987 Posts
Boot

That's a good idea. I changed out my darkside tire this year and went to a 65 profile which lifted the bike a good inch or so. The lean is precipitous now....:eek: I am constantly looking for a hump in the parking lot to park on so that I don't have to dump a bunch of steroids to get it back upright (the bike that is).. I have seen the round stainless "puck" that some Harleys sport, but having a shaped one is more attractive.:cool:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Funny, My 04 lean doesn't bother me. It does SEEM to lean a lot, but standing it upright hasn't been an issue. I've seen lots of people complain about it. It's not the stand, it's the downtube and the angle. You can replace the downtube and get it to stand more upright, or you can do like wrenchjockey or Bill and stick something underneath the stand. Heck, just carry one of those brick sized pave stones with ya! It'll be handy when some college kid on a cell phone tries to merge on top of you anyway. :D

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
I was always nervous about leaning this big heavy bike over that far onto the stand. Here's what I did:

I call it Frankenstein's boot. It's 2 thicknesses of 3/4" plywood with a shim on top and a plastic shim on bottom. Painted black and attached with wood screws. The kickstand is easier to drill through than you might think. I had to play with the angle a bit to get the bottom to sit flush on the ground.

I assume you have an early year? As I understand it, getting a later year won't help, because it's the place it's mounted that's different (I could be wrong about that).
Frankenboot!

Actually, After the first years run (starting mid 05 sometime), they changed the left rail downtube. The "place" where the kickstand attaches was "moved".

The newer downtube allows the kickstand to be a bit straighter, and not as much of an angle. Which in turns sits the bike up a bit more.

Soo... as much as your bike leans.. it's worse on my 04.

I bought some downtubes from a guy who was parting them out an 06 model. My painter has them now.

I'll try to take some really good "before-n-after" shots of the lean angle when I change them out.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
angle of dangle, slammin sammy or droppin drawers?

drop the rear. lower the front. your sled and the kikstand issue goes away.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
drop the rear. lower the front. your sled and the kikstand issue goes away.
You have a later year, right, Ponch? The lean is not as severe. Especially after you madam it the world's biggest, baddest bobber.

Y'ever Lean a bike over, not realizing that you didn't put the kickstand down? That's how I felt every time I leaned my '04 over, even though I could see that the stand was down. Getting it up was harder (hee hee) before the "boot", but my biggest trepidation was always leaning this 800+ lb. bike so far over on this spindly little piece of Japanese steel.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
watts a meta 4.?

You have a later year, right, Ponch? The lean is not as severe. Especially after you madam it the world's biggest, baddest bobber.

Y'ever Lean a bike over, not realizing that you didn't put the kickstand down? That's how I felt every time I leaned my '04 over, even though I could see that the stand was down. Getting it up was harder (hee hee) before the "boot", but my biggest trepidation was always leaning this 800+ lb. bike so far over on this spindly little piece of Japanese steel.
thaz a meta4.? yeah 07, mines bigger. nuther meta4. slammin sammy now it wants to stand straight up! nuther meta4. now i gots be careful where i park her (agin) or she'll topple over the otter way.
butt, with yor wee willy should be able to slam yor sled and still have some angle to the dangle. dam these things are jus chok full of subliminal messages.. sheesh, ponch

·
Registered
659 Posts
My 06 used to lean quite a bit but like Ponch I dropped the rear end by 2" and it made it more bearable. No more hernias pulling the bike off the stand.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts