Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· BOTM Winner, October 2013
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07 Nomad and yesterday when I put the kickstand up the spring fell off, I put it back on just to have it come off again. I put the bike on the jack and remove kickstand thinking the pivot bolt has wore out, but it is in good shape. the stand is loose and will wobble up and down a good 3 inches when up. Looks like the hole in the welded frame mount is oblonged. I have rigged it buy bending the springs so the are shorter and hold tension now and used Harley Straps (tie wraps) so they can not fall off now, it works but I want it right. Has anybody had this happen and if so what was your fix ? Thought maybe having to drill out the mount hold and putting some brass bushings in it. Any thoughts on this from anybody ? For now it is working and I bypass the safety switch because it was moving just enough to shut the engine off before I bent the springs.

· Registered
55 Posts
Not an uncommon problem. There are a few different ways to fix it. You can drill it out, ... install a bushing (epoxy bushing in).

Drill and weld a bushing in, ... or just weld it up (some) and re-drill it.

All work.

Are you going to the Treasure Coast Toy Run ?

311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am going to the Toy Run, I'm on the Board for it, I better show up. lol Will you be there ? I have a welder, seems to be a better idea to use a bushing that can be replace years down the road if needed.

· Registered
55 Posts
Cool !

I will have to address mine one day as well.

Being that we live in the same town, if you want/need some help, let me know. I've never done one before, but maybe we can make a good repair plan.

Sent you a PM

311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sounds good to me. Welding and drilling is prob the best plan, will have to give it some set and stare at it time, I'm thinking it's a two beer planning stage process.

311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Bolt look fine to my surprise, even miked it and it was still round. Thinking just ordering a new stand, bolt and springs, the stand looks worn at the pivot point also. I guess I would be kinda worn too after 7 years of holding 800 lbs up. lol Now my question is, should the hole be oblong ? The way it is may be to allow the stand the give some in the down position and the stand itself is wore out.
Note to self-----include lubing kickstand with oil changes and other maintenance

· Registered
55 Posts
As I said, I have not done one previously (and I'm no mechanic), however, my guess would be that the 'stand hole' should be round (as well as the hole on the frame where it mounts).

Other than looks .... I would say you could weld and bush the stand (maybe) when you weld the frame mounting hole.

Mine has some 'wiggle' in it as well, so I'll be getting to this in the not too distant future.
Heard that the Kawi 800 stand was a bit longer and fits well. Will keep the bike a bit more upright and not leaned over quite so much when using the side stand.

And you are correct, .... some grease will help the repair, ... stay, repaired.

· Registered
1,044 Posts
It's a very common problem, and the mount hole is not supposed to be oblong - it should be round. As you've suggested, some drill the hole round again and insert a bushing - others fill the hole with weld, and then drill it round again...

But either way, once you've fixed it - keep it lubed to prevent a recurrence.

311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I can find the correct size bushing I will go that route, but I do have a welder also. I will post a step by step report with pictures of the repair. My search has found that it is a common problem but I have found no reports on repair options. I can ride the bike with the temp fix right now so I will be another week before I can repair it.

311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't had a chance to do it yet, as soon as I do I will post the repair and results.

· Registered
252 Posts
Thanks...I went out the other day to take a short spin...Put my kickstand up and my spring hit the ground...Sat the bike up right with my 4x4's...Put the spring back on and
when I put it up...the spring hit the ground again...it seems to have a good amount of
movement / play where the bolt goes through...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.