Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've watched many videos showing and describing how to get on a bike with and without a passenger. Stand on floor board lift leg over and get on bike.

But the manual says not to get on the bike while it is on the kickstand?? So is the Voyager 1700 kickstand weak compared to other motorcycles?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Bike is not stable if not on the stand. Does it really say that?
I always get on any bike when it resting on the stand.
HOW could you not.
Now I dont put weight on the bike when I do that.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I swing my leg over (while its on the stand) and as soon as my right foot hits the ground I bring it up off the stand. This seems the natural thing to do for me.

I've never trusted putting extra weight (my weight) on the kick stand. Then again, the kick stand on a 750 isn't as robust as on a heavier bike.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My passenger gets on the bike and sits down with the bike on the stand then I get on and lift the bike off the stand. We are both full size adults and have been doing this way for 30K miles on the Voyager with no problems at all.

Has anybody ever heard of a 1700 Vulcan kickstand breaking? I haven't.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Well Shawn just occurred to me reading the posts -
MAYBE it states to not let the passenger get on with the bike on the stand.
I always get on first, put the stand up and back out of the parking place if needed, and then my wife gets on while I steady it.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
So, I've watched many videos showing and describing how to get on a bike with and without a passenger. Stand on floor board lift leg over and get on bike.

But the manual says not to get on the bike while it is on the kickstand?? So is the Voyager 1700 kickstand weak compared to other motorcycles?
I would never put my weight or my passenger's weight on the kickstand. I just doesn't seem safe. I don't know about the 1700, but the 900 forum has a lot of messages about worn out kickstand pivots and I always wondered how it was happening. Maybe this is the answer.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The kickstand being a mechanical piece is subject to failure. Does that mean it will fail ? No but there are a couple of ways it "could" fail. No bike manufacturer is going to give you a green light of putting additional weight on the peg and kickstand while mounting the bike. With that said, it is common practice for people to pull themselves over the bike by putting their weight on the peg , lifting themselves up and over. Riders do it all the time on KLR 650's because of the height of the bike. I've mounted my nomad several times like that, though I don't make a practice of doing so. I have never heard of a kickstand breaking, but I have seen them fail before. If you are going to practice that method of mounting / dismounting use caution and be prepared just in case.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I seem to remember reading about someone that had it fail. Damned if I can remember which forum it was in or the size bike. I think BikerBill had some issues with his 500 this past year. And I seem to remember someone else saying something about theirs crapping while on a trip but I'm not sure if that memory is accurate.

Regardless, after having mine fall (not related to the kickstand) I really don't want to put any undue pressure on mine so I don't place any butt-weight on mine until I have it where I am standing up. It just feels natural to me: foot over, foot down, bike up, butt down.

Mine has a centerstand, too, and I won't put my extra weight on that either.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In a similar vein, if I might offer suggestion......try to train yourself to mount and (especially) dismount from the right side of the bike if it's on the side stand. Hard thing to remember to do if you've been riding a while, but can be a definite safety factor.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HTML:
In a similar vein, if I might offer suggestion......try to train yourself to mount and (especially) dismount from the right side of the bike if it's on the side stand. Hard thing to remember to do if you've been riding a while, but can be a definite safety factor.
Yes, i have read that is a safer way, which is why Police officers mount/dismount from the right side. The problem is it makes it even higher to get my leg up and over :)

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
I don't know what quality metal Kawi uses, but a lot, if not all, Honda kickstands are essentially pot metal. I've know several Honda owners that have had their kickstands break.

It's not an issue for me to swing my leg over, or step thru at 6'3" and I ride solo, so I don't have to worry about using the floorboards to mount the bike. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Pot metal? That seems wrong. Sure it might be lightweight but I'd think a manufacturer would want a seriously strong piece of metal.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Wow, this is all news to me. I have sat on my Vaquero with my feet on the floorboards before, several times while mounting and adjusting my highway pegs to make sure they were level (and I still got it wrong, LOL).

I've never heard of a kickstand failing, but like others have said, I'm sure it happens.

-John

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Vulcan forum seems to be full of things to add to your bike that makes it more enjoyable or better for your needs. Let's take a 900lb Voyager load the bags and trunk with gear add a wife or GF whose name should be Big Earl. That 6'3 rider who just came out of Golden Coral and put all that weight on the stand. If its parked on a hill the wrong way or a block was used to keep it more level or several threads /posts have changing stands due to lowering or wanting more level for oil checks during your ride, factory geometry might be changed or weight limits may have been exceeded. McDonalds' coffee cups say "caution contents are hot" , fan belts say "stop the engine before changing" for a reason.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't this a Vulcan 900 forum? The bike's makeup, weight and I imagine kickstand are probably different. Wouldn't it make sense to post in the 1700 forum to compare apples to apples?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Everybody is focusing on the kickstand failing and that is NOT the only issue here. If you are in leveled ground, over asphalt or concrete is safer to put "some" weight in a bike but center of gravity, softness of surface (KStand penetrating loose gravel or sandy dirt) can lead to bike falling to the side, with anyone or no one on it.

I am by no means an "expert" rider but it seems common sense that a passenger should not be on the bike without the rider already on it. Passengers are not always (I should say not usually) aware of the forces involved and the balance the bike has when on a kickstand, the design of the stand has to make it easy for the rider to get it up to vertical with reasonable ease and it has to be stable when on the stand alone, this creates short angle of rest for the stand to work well, particularly on heavy bikes.

I have my wife (almost always my passenger when I have one) climb on after I have the bike in vertical position and the stand already kicked back, she's always the first to get off the bike, usually before I do the last maneuvering to put the bike into final position and that includes backing out of a parking spot or my garage.

Like I said, just feels like common sense to me, it might have to do with ridding a heavy bike for some time.

Never even thought that my kickstand would break but I would NOT put extra weight on it if I don't have to. A loaded bike equipped for travel is one thing but the riders weight just seems to be asking to much of the stability of the bike (without even thinking of metal strength of the stand).

If I trust the engineers enough to go 75 mph on the bike with my life and my wife's life on the line I think I can trust the stand to do the job it was design to do.... within reason and common sense provided.

Or else I would be ridding a trike or put on training wheels.

:grin2::wink2::grin2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts