Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm somewhat reluctant to post this but here goes....
Got my bike on Saturday, rode home and parked it in the garage (to cold to ride anymore.) Today (Tuesday) I'm dinging around with it, cleaning etc. Started the bike, put in first, released the clutch and it died on me. After half dozen attempts I called the dealership and Jim asked one question. Is your kick stand down?

Yup, it sure was. A safety feature I didn't know about! Anyway, this may save some other new or returning riders a red face. The bike will not move with the stand in the down position.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
On my 800, it will start with it in 1st and stand down, but as soon as you start to release clutch it stalls. It can be prone to switch sticking after awhile also, a shot of WD40 always cured it for me. Funny, since moving to Ga. from Ohio 6 years ago, it only did it once just after moving here. My Voyager will not start in 1st with stand down. Usually kill it by pulling in clutch, putting stand down, then dropping into 1st.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
340 Posts
That's because so many were taking off with it down.
I use the kick stand switch to shut it off when I pull in somewhere:cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
On a lot of vulcans, sometimes they will not start when gear with the clutch in, even if they are supposed to. The small connector at the clutch housing comes disconnected very easily and if it happens, the bike thinks the clutch is out and the safety bypass prevents it from starting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts