Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know a lot of people buy lots of cool stuff to have it on the handlebar to open garage doors...

but, i just bought a keychain garage door opener remote. it works flawlessly and is easy to reach down to keychain and hit the button!

Just another quick idea for all...instead of spending big bucks on handlebar mounted garage door opener.

I got lucky and won a bid for one on eBay for $8 out the door...but, they run from $8 - $25 depending on what model you need.

For example:

If your garage has a "PURPLE" learn button (built after 2005) - then you are on 315MHZ frequency and generally these models will work (Sears Craftsman, Liftmaster, Chamberlin)

These are fits:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-LIFTMASTER-370LM-MINI-GARAGE-DOOR-REMOTE-/320733664408?pt=Garage_Doors_Openers&hash=item4aad375498

http://cgi.ebay.com/Craftsman-Sears-Remote-Garage-Opener-139-53752-53752-/140582761983?pt=Garage_Doors_Openers&hash=item20bb62b5ff

Older garages are likely on 390mhz and there are different remotes for those...

I offer no guarantees on specific models...just what I read and what I bought and worked perfectly!

I have a craftsman garage door opener and the second link is the person I bought from...and shipping was here in two days and it is AWESOME!

have fun, ride safe!

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
that is so badass! i need one

thanks for the info

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yep, an idea so simple that it almost goes unnoticed. I also had a keychain opener mounted on my old Vulcan 750, so when I moved up to the 900 two years ago it was something I immediately missed so I did that again to this bike. I have the keychain opener mounted to the triple tree, using a small 4" black zip-tie to absolutely secure it to the wiring harness that leads to the left hand grip (turn sigs, horn, etc.) and additionally it's velcro'd to the triple tree with a small patch of self-adhesive velcro. Hasn't budged in two years of riding, is almost out of sight so is not noticeable, but always there and very handy when I need it.

Some of the guys in the 750 group even hid their keychain openers inside one of the plastic side covers, and with a little soldering added a mini push-button switch protruding through the side cover wired directly into the opener circuitry (but that seemed like too much work for me).

It may not be as sexy as the system where you flash your headlights, but it's about a hundred bucks less too. Works for me. Thanks for bringing it up!

·
Registered
273 Posts
door opener

For the cheap and lazy ones like me, I have my sears button over the two cables on the right side right behind the windshield. It doesn't move in the wind that way, and the visor thing keeps it from coming off. I just reach over and hit the button while entering the driveway. Someday I might get around to the gadget fix it and hook up a pushbutton on the handlebar but for now this works great.

·
Registered
450 Posts
i did my own on the side cover and a universal garage door opener must say its a huge time saver and one of my favorite mods used twice daily

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey, I did the same thing a couple of months ago. Bought a keychain garage door opener and now I never have to remember to get the one off my truck's visor before i go for a ride. I just never thought to post the idea. :):) Great minds think alike...

·
Registered
264 Posts
When I had my old jacket, I just put my garage door opener in the zippo pocket, my new leather I have it inside ride hand side, just push the button though the jacket and bingo, open sesame. have never had a problem thick gloves, or with regular gloves. winter time just move the opener to my truck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
A few months back, I was in need of a new garage door opener (my 16 year old opener finally bit the dust). I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Chamberlin Whisper Drive opener came with two regular remotes and a keychain remote. I immediately added it to my Vulcan key and have been using/loving it ever since! As chicagoster was saying, it is so easy and convenient to just reach down, mash the button while pulling up to my house and viola, the door is open by the time I pull up to the garage. It has no problems working from 100'-120' away. I've seen custom buttons added to bikes for the garage door opener that are really cool, but the keychain remote is probably the easiest and most affordable route anyone could take. Thanks for starting this thread!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah the Chamberlin is nice, that's what I have. Nice and small opener. Bout the size of most cars remotes for alarms. I had the Craftsman one first and that thing was huge. Plus the Chamberlin works with my work garage door opener so I was able to add it to the opener's other three buttons.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts