Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a 2011 Vaquero with 30k miles. The bike is in great condition, with driving lights and a Mustang seat. I have both keys, and one looks unused and even has the tag with the number to get replacements. Unfortunately, I have some issues with these keys. They work fine in the saddle bags, glove boxes and the gas cap, but the ignition is a bit finicky. Sometimes it takes a little wiggling to get the key to turn. The biggest issue is that I can't turn the key in the seat release at all. I have tried pushing down on the seat and even had my wife sit on it while I try to turn the key, but no luck. Anyone have similar issues? Suggestions?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just acquired a 2011 Vaquero with 30k miles. The bike is in great condition, with driving lights and a Mustang seat. I have both keys, and one looks unused and even has the tag with the number to get replacements. Unfortunately, I have some issues with these keys. They work fine in the saddle bags, glove boxes and the gas cap, but the ignition is a bit finicky. Sometimes it takes a little wiggling to get the key to turn. The biggest issue is that I can't turn the key in the seat release at all. I have tried pushing down on the seat and even had my wife sit on it while I try to turn the key, but no luck. Anyone have similar issues? Suggestions?
I have experienced something similar in the past and believe it or not, a couple little shots of oil/lubricant in the keyhole was the answer.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
580 Posts
Go to a locksmith and get a tube of graphite powder. The trouble with a lot of lubricants although they work fine, is that they attract dirt which sticks in the lock. Graphite works great in the lock's internal mechanism. The seat probably needs some lube on the latch/cable

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also have a Mustang seat for my Voyager (not sure if they are different for the Vaquero). I have trouble unlatching the seat with the key as well. I found that you must play around with the bracket on the seat that is supposed to have come off the original rear seat. The key unlocks this latch so that you can pop it up. I still have to push down on the seat while simultaneously jiggling the key around and pushing it in and turning it counter clockwise (sometimes it looks like I am performing CPR on my rear seat). It is a difficult thing to get but hopefully it will work out for you as you wont be able to adjust that rear seat bracket until the seat is off obviously.

As for the ignition, I have not had that issue but as others have said, be careful with what you put in there as lubricant so as not to attract excess dirt or dust that could worsen the problem.
Good luck!

·
Registered
662 Posts
When you eventually get the seat off... remove the latch from where it's bolted to the underneath of the seat, and put a couple of washers under the latch to lift it off the seat just a little. I've done that with my Mustang seat, and it fixed the whole "hard to turn the key" problem completely.

zheissler... it's a common issue with the Mustang.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When you eventually get the seat off... remove the latch from where it's bolted to the underneath of the seat, and put a couple of washers under the latch to lift it off the seat just a little. I've done that with my Mustang seat, and it fixed the whole "hard to turn the key" problem completely.

zheissler... it's a common issue with the Mustang.
Peg - much better idea. Hadn't thought of that. I will try that out.
Thanks

·
Registered
580 Posts
A little graphite seems to have done the job on the ignition. Still working on the seat. :)
It's pretty good stuff, but it tends to get your fingers dirty

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
A little graphite seems to have done the job on the ignition. Still working on the seat. :)
It's pretty good stuff, but it tends to get your fingers dirty
You can get it in little squeeze tubes like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Powdered-Graphite-Lubricant-Puffer-Dispenser/dp/B00ENQ3BAI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1485752204&sr=8-5&keywords=graphite+squeeze+tube

You can usually puff plenty into a lock without making a mess. They used to sell it a ACE, Home Depot, etc. Doesn't take much. I have a tube that is about 20 years old and it still has some left in it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Gunk makes a spray product called "Liquid Wrench Dry Lube" in a spray can. Sprays like a liquid but drys immediately so it doesn't attract dirt. Works great, and with the little spray tube can get into tiny places.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Good idea to lube the ignition lock. I once got stranded out of state cause it got gunked up. I had to drop motor oil into it from the dip stick to get it to turn at all!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have heard, from reputable sources, that using graphite in locks can cause problems. Apparently it will (may) jam the tumblers over time. I don't have any personal experience so I don't know that this is so. You might want to see what a licensed locksmith would recommend.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2016
80 Posts
I have been a locksmith for 30 years specializing in motorcycles and automobiles. The problem with powered graphite is people use too much and it does build up causing the wafers to stick. Just remember a little is better spray into the lock then run the key in and out without turning the cylinder. wipe off any excess then manipulate the lock and you will see a great difference. If this does not work spray electrical contact cleaner into the lock this will dissolve any build up of gunk . Let it air dry or blow air into the cylinder then use the graphite or a dry lubricant.
Do not use wd40 as it is not a lubricant more of a cleaner as it evaporates leaving nothing in the way of lube in the luck. Oil or or sprays with teflon attract dirt . I hope this helps. Kirk

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have been a locksmith for 30 years specializing in motorcycles and automobiles. The problem with powered graphite is people use too much and it does build up causing the wafers to stick. Just remember a little is better spray into the lock then run the key in and out without turning the cylinder. wipe off any excess then manipulate the lock and you will see a great difference. If this does not work spray electrical contact cleaner into the lock this will dissolve any build up of gunk . Let it air dry or blow air into the cylinder then use the graphite or a dry lubricant.
Do not use wd40 as it is not a lubricant more of a cleaner as it evaporates leaving nothing in the way of lube in the luck. Oil or or sprays with teflon attract dirt . I hope this helps. Kirk
That's the problem. A lot of people assume if a little works good, a lot should work better :smile2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts