Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2005 vn2000a. i cannot get a key made without the "code". i found a 4 digit code on the ign. housing but apparently its wrong. i'm being told my code should be G followed by 4 digits. i dont know why kawasaki makes this so difficult...

·
Registered
181 Posts
You wouldn’t want the key code on the ignition. Then any passerby could get a key made.

The key code for my 01 Nomad is a “B” followed by 4 numbers so the “G” followed by four numbers is probably correct.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I doubt it’s on the bike anywhere, I would hope not anyway.

The key code usually comes as a little metal tag with the original keys.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i saw you posted this on FB also.

I wanted to ask.. did you lose all your keys or something?
no. I have 1 (one) key. the dealer won't make one unless I have the code, which I don't. i'm the 3rd or 4th owner.

I may try the local locksmith and see what they say. I just thought I would pick y'all brains first and see if I learned anything.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 2004 vn 2000 code starts with G and four digits I belive the stealer has access to that information if they want to help you :( What are you trying to do ???
just get a key made...I only have 1. I figured you guys may know something I didn't. I will most likely try a locksmith next.

·
Registered
546 Posts
ok a couple years ago i went to my local ACE hardware store they matched up a blank i think i was from a dodge and they made me a duplicate that i still have and use every day it cost me a couple dollars , but if you need an kawasaki key there are tons of blanks online / ebay

I always tell my self the dealer is not my friend they are there to make as much money off of me as they can, there is no other purpose, Im sorry you ended up being attended by the dealer representative that has no interest in helping you or has no customer skills

good luck

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,910 Posts
just get a key made...I only have 1. I figured you guys may know something I didn't. I will most likely try a locksmith next.
yea, just go get it made.

I was at a bike rally a few years ago.

they had a booth where they was making keys.. and i was like, 'Ya know, I'm down to just 1 key".

i walked up, gave him my key, he made me 2 spares, I paid him and walked away.

A key smith don't need poo to make a copy of your existing key.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
A local locksmith outfit made me a couple spares. I didn't opt for the Kawasaki-styled key, these are just plain old square top keys but they work just fine and cost a fraction of the Kawi key blank.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
no. I have 1 (one) key. the dealer won't make one unless I have the code
FWIW, it might be that they can't without the code, moreso than they won't.

Some years back I needed to have a spare made for one of those keys with the chip in it and I needed it "now" so I had to get the key from the dealer.

They needed the code because they used a key punch thingamajob to actually make a nice, sharp, newly punched key. They need the code to know how to set the punch to cut the correct height at the correct position of the key. They didn't use one of those key copy machines you see at the local hardware store.

The quality of a newly punched key is better, but a copied/ground key normally works just fine as long as the key being copied is still in good shape.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts