Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a new rider and although I do plan on getting a jacket with some armor... I've been looking at either the draggin shirt or the Soul shaker shirt.
I believe the Soul shaker is 40/60 Kevlar/Cotton. Draggin doesn't specify.

I like the idea of riding in a shirt instead of a bulky jacket in the summer.
I understand it won't offer as GOOD protection as thick leather would.
Thinking of maybe Buying seperate elbow pads or body armor to wear underneath for the impact protection.

I'll be doing mostly city riding so my speeds will remain mostly below 40 mph.

Any who, does anyone have experience with these sort of shirts?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
er ... what do you exactly think they are going to stop in the event of a spill.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
I think the Draggin' Shirt is 100% Kevlar. It should offer a good bit more protection than the Soul Shaker shirt, but I suspect it would be a bit heavier and hotter. The Soul Shaker looks to be a thinner and lighter material. Also the cotton in the Soul Shaker would probably increase air flow.

The best news is that neither use a Kevlar/polyester blend. Polyester melting into your skin can be as painful as, if not more so than, the road rash it prevented.

The plus for the Soul Shaker is that it has belt loops to keep the shirt from riding up in a slide. The Draggin' Shirt doesn't.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the Draggin' Shirt is 100% Kevlar. It should offer a good bit more protection than the Soul Shaker shirt, but I suspect it would be a bit heavier and hotter. The Soul Shaker looks to be a thinner and lighter material. Also the cotton in the Soul Shaker would probably increase air flow.

The best news is that neither use a Kevlar/polyester blend. Polyester melting into your skin can be as painful as, if not more so than, the road rash it prevented.

The plus for the Soul Shaker is that it has belt loops to keep the shirt from riding up in a slide. The Draggin' Shirt doesn't.
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I think I feel more comfortable with the Draggin shirt. It's got many positive reviews on the site itself. I just wish someone could give me some first hand reviews.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Why not just invest in a summer jacket? Costs roughly the same.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Why not just invest in a summer jacket? Costs roughly the same.
If you read his original post, he wants something less bulky than a jacket. At least he is looking for something Kevlar and is considering adding armor. Better than riding in a tee.

Personally, I have a full mesh Kevlar suit or in moderate temps wear leather. I might do short rides, like a quick shopping trip, wearing a Kevlar shirt and riding jeans, but I can't justify the costs of those just for that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just ordered the draggin shirt.

And yeah, I don't like the idea of doing errands and what not all summer in a jacket.
For longer trips I do plan on using a jacket where it's on at point A and off at point B, no inbetween.

Here's a second question since I'm a newbie.
What are the differences in terms of protection and advantages/disadvantages with the different jackets out there? Mesh, leather, textile, etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here's a second question since I'm a newbie.
What are the differences in terms of protection and advantages/disadvantages with the different jackets out there? Mesh, leather, textile, etc.
Leather= Best overall protection. Make sure its a real riding jacket, not just a leather style jacket. You can tell the difference because a riding jacket will have AT LEAST CE1 rated elbow pads, and more likely than not shoulder pads. The better ones have back protection as well. Leather will slide longest without breaking down, preventing road rash. Perforated leather can help when its hotter out, and a lot of jackets have zipper vents to allow air flow.

Textile= There is a wide range of quality when it comes to textile. The more expensive ones can protect you close to leather, but nothing can protect quite like leather. Can be better at weather protection than leather, can be less hot than leather.

Mesh= Weakest of the three, but still a good choice. Again, quality can vary, but they normally have very good airflow, protection at impact zones, and typically come with a removal-able cold weather and/or rain liner, making them versatile. They have the worse slide protection of the three.

Overall, the best jacket is the one you are going to wear. Most accident happen close to home, so its worth it to invest in something that you can just throw on and ride with, no matter if its to the grocery store or across the country.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you read his original post, he wants something less bulky than a jacket. At least he is looking for something Kevlar and is considering adding armor. Better than riding in a tee.
Yeah, I saw it. I used to think the same way (almost 20 years ago). I placed comfort over safety and I learned my lesson for it. I'll take a little discomfort for short periods over long term constant pain for several weeks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I had the shirt for about a month now. No spills.
It's been good to me, no complaints.

I would like to get a jacket now but I feel like a big bunch of them have their logos plastered all over them.

Any recommendations?
all black or mostly black... for summer months.

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
This is the one I wear. I was very skeptical about ordering it as I thought it was going to be some cheap Chinese knockoff and come apart the first time down the road. But I loved the price and decided to pull the trigger.

Man do I ever love this jacket! I was so impressed with it I considered ordering a second one, but who needs two Jackets?

My nephew is a Ninja rider. Right after I got mine he decided he needed one as well. He wanted the Kawasaki green. Since the one I ordered doesn't come in green I went down to the Kawasaki dealer and bought him one there. It was almost three times the price I paid for mine. I compared the two side by side. Mine was far superior in construction than the 'name brand' jacket. Mine has some bells and whistles his doesn't!
So I thought I'd throw this one out there for you;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019FGCIE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts