Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about buying some Kevlar jeans for that casual look. Any experience about comfort and strenght on these?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Thanks for the link. I have been thinking about going this route instead of dealing with the chaps all the time.

I also found this company. http://www.gussetclothing.com/ They sell a set they call "defender motorcycle jean". I thought about these.

Oh yeah and these http://www.dragginjeans.com/

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
I just ordered a pair of Draggin' Jeans. I don't know what the product is like yet, but I will say they have an insanely efficient sales system. It sent me an email after checkout saying the order was paid/unshipped. 30 minutes later I get an email saying the order is paid and shipped. I wish everything worked like that.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Okay. I'm impressed with Draggin'. I placed a second order, thinking I'll get my girl a set of jeans too. I got a reply in short order - from a human - advising they hadn't charged me shipping on the second pair of jeans and would just ship in the same package.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
But if you fall of your bike, will the pants twist from det friction?
I'm sure there would be a certain amount of twisting and riding up (I've done the slide...) depending on how you slide, but I'm here to tell you it's best to keep something between your skin and the ground. You'd be surprised how fast regular blue jeans will tear up.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I'm sure there would be a certain amount of twisting and riding up (I've done the slide...) depending on how you slide, but I'm here to tell you it's best to keep something between your skin and the ground. You'd be surprised how fast regular blue jeans will tear up.
A few feet in blue jeans and they are toast. I mean how many pairs of jeans did we go threw as kids. I know I have blasted the knees out of several pair just dumping a bicycle. Let alone a motorcycle doing road speeds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking more about if its as safe as a "regular"/ leather pants. I imagine leather pants makes less friction. My point is that is these kevlar pants less safe than other standard riding pants?

·
Banned
334 Posts
I have Draggin' Jeans. I've never crashed in them, so I don't know how well they work, but I can tell you that I feel safer when I'm wearing them. The kevlar covers all the important areas pretty well. The jeans are VERY high quality and they look almost exactly like regular pants. They're a bit on the heavy side due to the extra material, and they get a little warm in the summer, but no worse than any other riding gear. I like 'em.

Joe

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
I just got a pair of Draggin' Jeans last night.

They appear to be high quality, well made jeans. They definately feel heavier than normal jeans. They are very comfortable.

The jeans felt snugger on me than I'm used to around the waist. They're new and because of the way they're made they might need to stretch out a bit.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Motorcycle Consumer News tested the kevlar jeans last year. I don't have the issue to give you but you may be able to pull it up in a web search. They liked the Draggin the best. They said they were the ones that looked the most like a regular pair of jeans and they had good protection and the pricing was good. They did rate a couple of others well too, but the Draggin are US made. That gets my vote.

If you are asking if they are as safe as wearing leather pants the answer is a resounding NOPE!. You can, however, buy leather pants that are worn just like jeans. I own a pair of Vanson leather jean pants plus I have a two piece leather suit I mainly wear on my sport bike. The suit has armor underneath and a back protector, plus lots of ventilation.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
We both have the Draggin' Jeans and like them very much. Overall quality, fit and finish are very good. Competition Accessories sells a brand of kevlar lined jeans called Sliders that are supposed to be pretty good, too. Besides getting them in the blue (or black) jeans style, you can get them as khaki's with cargo pockets on the legs. That may appeal to some who may prefer a more "casual" style on the bike.

Your b

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
A few feet in blue jeans and they are toast. I mean how many pairs of jeans did we go threw as kids. I know I have blasted the knees out of several pair just dumping a bicycle. Let alone a motorcycle doing road speeds.
What I always ask people is, have you ever tripped and fallen while wearing jeans? Did it hurt?

I know I've skinned or bruised a knee tripping or slipping on the ice in blue jeans. So, one might infer, falling down at 20 or 30 miles an hour would be a tad worse?

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
+1 what Romans said.

I finally decided to go with Bohn Armor pants rather than re-enforced jeans. My experience tells me that most motorcycle injuries come from impact and not sliding. That double-thickness isn't going to help my knee or hip on impact, some CE-approved armor just might. YMMV

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm with "Old Bear" on this one. Maybe because I'm old as well... I have the Bohn armor and "Sliders" Kevlar jeans and feel real safe for the lower parts! The upper parts are protected by leather to textile (cool or warm) with shoulder, back and elbow armor in the jackets. I figure if I go down I need all the help I can get...at my age I don't heal as quickly as I once did. So it's ATGATT...
WEG

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Another option, too (though perhaps not as 'cool' looking) is overpants. These are sort of like chaps in that you wear them OVER, BUT, they provide 100% coverage (look like pants, just made very roomy to fit over clothes), often have cool features like vents, zip up sides (step through with boots on), and even rain proofing.

The reason I love over-pants so much, is that most are like mine; armored and provide good abrasion resistance. AND provide protection from the elements. But, you wear them OVER whatever else.

I can wear them over slacks, and my riding jacket over a button up shirt, and ride to the office or to a meeting or something (just need to change my boots to oxfords when I get there!). Then I'm protected, my clothes don't get messed up from the elements, AND I don't have to change when I get there (just take stuff off).

I also like to wear shorts and a t-shirt under my gear, throw some tennis shoes in a saddlebag, and toss my gear in the tour-pak and change shoes when the wife and I go somewhere where I'm gonna be walking around alot. Sure is a nice way to be 'equipped' where you can ride protected, but don't have to change anywhere! (though people do sometimes look at me funny when I'm taking my overpants off)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts