Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Well the Run/Meet/Bash season is upon us here in the UK and thoughts are turning now to getting out there again. Due to distances and convenience camping out overnight is necessary but.... the first cup of coffee in the morning is a must.
Questions:
1) Will the battery take (and boil) a 12v 170w 15amp kettle?
2) If so would it be better to run the bike whilst boiling (would the alternator take this) or not?

Views would be appreciated!

HoraceG

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi Guys,
Well the Run/Meet/Bash season is upon us here in the UK and thoughts are turning now to getting out there again. Due to distances and convenience camping out overnight is necessary but.... the first cup of coffee in the morning is a must.
Questions:
1) Will the battery take (and boil) a 12v 170w 15amp kettle?
2) If so would it be better to run the bike whilst boiling (would the alternator take this) or not?

Views would be appreciated!

HoraceG

:eek::eek::eek: WTF DUDE ARE YOU ON THE WRONG WEB SITE, check and make sure, cause the last time I looked no one around here talked about riding any mobile generators, take a hard look at the size of the battery and look in MOM at the power specs.

1.) Run: yes: for about 1 minute, but you better have a good set of jumper cables and be ready to buy another battery soon, around 145 US Dollars.
2.) Running the bike, Maybe, but your neighbors are going to be somewhat disturbed by the noise, and I cannot Imagen how you would strap the pot to the bike while running at 3000 Rpm, around 40MPH in third.

Seriously: you stated you were camping out, packing gear, go to an army surplus store, you have those?, all army's use small portable stoves that will do the job fine and lots of campers use them. No open flame laws, how does anybody camp without a fire? That there is just wrong.

If you feel compelled to do this please post back and let us know, so I can file ABUSE charges through the international red cross.

As Bill Enguval loves to say "HERES YOUR SIGN".

"Lord forgive me for that there, and help the little children and feed the pygmies in africa amen"

Please get a reality check here, it's a MOTORCYCLE and not built to power appliances.

Whew now that got my blood pumping so early in the morning.

·
Registered
782 Posts
HoraceG, us Americans all send apologies for Bytehead's last post.:eek: His info is good and he really does mean well. But you see, I think he is part REDNECK. This would be similar to a Pikie over in the UK. I am a redneck too, although I think my verbal filter may be working a little better than his.:eek:

Bytehead, I really thought your post was funny. I just doubt that our British friend has ever heard of Larry the Cable Guy. Maybe I am wrong.:confused:

So HoraceG in the interest of international relations, please take anything you may have found offensive and just ignore it. Us rednecks don't really know any better sometimes. And we really do mean well.:D

Oh yeah... and don't hook a coffee maker to your bike. You will probably burn up the stator. I have read of some folks running into this issue when they have to many accessories such as heated grips, a heated riding suit, a radio and lots of lighting accessories all running. It may not happen the first time, but over time it can damage the stator and that is not the cheapest or easiest repair in the world. A little portable camp stove would be the deal. They offer some over here that are about the size of a large coffee mug.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
+1 w/Jeep

I don't think it would be a good idea to try to power your kettle off the bike, certainly not just off the battery. The bike certainly has enough grunt to pull a small trailer, if you really require electric appliances while camping, maybe you could rig up a small gas generator to pull along behind? Either that or just stay in a holiday camps that supply electric outlets.

Cheers, Mate, and enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rednecks Rule OK

Hi Guys,

Well, thanks for the input John (Bytehead).

Although I hadn't actually intended RIDING the bike whilst boiling the kettle, I do take your point about the noise.

Jeep Pirate

Thanks for the comment! I haven't taken any offence at Johns post as I am used to dealing with Pikeys over here!

I appreciate both comments and will take the advice and bin the idea!

Unfortunately the only stuff available in Army Surplus Stores over here is left over from the Boer War. Everything made after that is still in use today in Afghanistan!

John, the Boer War was a small little affair us Brits undertook in South Africa against some cocky Dutchmen around 1900. We got our arses severely kicked then as well!
And I'm glad I still have the power to get someones blood pumping early in the morning! I'll have to give the wife the good news!

HoraceG

·
Registered
9 Posts
HoraceG[/QUOTE]
John, the Boer War was a small little affair us Brits undertook in South Africa against some cocky Dutchmen around 1900. We got our arses severely kicked then as well!
And I'm glad I still have the power to get someones blood pumping early in the morning! I'll have to give the wife the good news!
HoraceG[/QUOTE]

Brilliant!!! :D:D
I was watching this thread hoping you'd reply!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Being use to camping myself and having to travel light I tend to use one burner stoves that work on Sterno (A gel that comes in a can that burns). These things work great and take up about the same amount of room as a coffee cup and lasts for hours. If you can not find any in the UK you can make it with saw dust and kerosene mixed together in a can. Great little cooking source.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Horace, not sure what kind of camping stores are in your area, but here are a couple neat ideas I ran across. The first one is a fancy back pack stove. The second one is a home-made version that should work really well. I know some hikers that use something like this regularly.

http://www.rei.com/product/660163
http://www.instructables.com/id/Tin-Can-Sterno-Stove/

I didn't figure you would get to worried by anyone else's sense of humor. Most Brits have pretty thick skin. I mean, you live next to Ireland and Scotland, you have to get used to folks jumping down your throat. Right? (sorry Irish Vulcan) I work for a UK company out of Tiverton (near Exeter) so I talk to folks over there every day. They always seem to be able to take everything in stride.

Cheers!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Horace and all of the members of the site, I offer my deepest apologies, as an explanation I submit the following.
I awoke at 5:30AM after 3 hours sleep, showered, then was drawn to check the site for whatever reason, upon seeing the post about a Kettle, (a very large pot here) I quickly glanced through, and in my weakened condition, instantly experienced a cranial-rectal inversion and found the previously beaten down REDNECK begin to pour onto the key board, my hands started typing and I could do nothing about it. "THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT".

Two images ran thru my mind first a rider standing over a beautiful blue classic with a cup of coffee in one hand and smoke rising from the battery, and the second, the same rider on the awesome bike riding furiously in a large circle, with a "coffee pot" strapped to the luggage rack, sipping the cup of coffee.

I found myself laughing to the point that tears streamed from my eyes, and my hands had taken over.
I swear i was laughing so hard i woke up my wife (boy is she ******), after i could see and read my thoughts I once again began laughing.

NOT AT THE POST, but at my reply, yup the REDNECK had escaped and was out of the bottle. I quickly submitted the post and went outside to load a new map into my bike. Laughed all the way to work, set up my lap top and waited to login.

When I finally got to check back another post was evident, as i was hoping you had replied went to the bottom. Much to my confusion :confused: the excellent gentleman Jeep Pirate was apologizing for my conduct. Scanned back up and was most distressed to discover all of the :D:) were GONE,

Cannot post from work because of security, so was most concerned, until you replied, relieved you understood, I continued but then i saw the coment about the BOER incident and it started all over again.

I must get this out of my system or i will never to seal the bottle again so here goes, I will understand if you skip the next rant.

"Shoot boy we know what BOARS ar down this way, I reid about them in history class, I did gradeate the sixt grad ya no. Been invaded by the little critters ourselvs, millions of them, routen and tearng up crops all over south texas, I guess you fellas didnnt have good guns back then cause a sharps 50 dos a great job. They are nasty critters, an will get ya ifn you ant carful.
But slap one on a slow pit, roast till falling of the bone, and douse in some fine Carlina eatn sauce and you got a fine meal"

Thanks I needed that.:cool:

My parents are from Oklahoma and I have lived in Texas most of my life and I swear to you people still talk that way. "SO I MIGHT BE A REDNECK"

Sweet bike you have, looked long and hard at that color, always been partial to blue, but the chrome on black just speaks to the dark side of me, cant resist.

For the Stoves:
Sterno is great IMHO but does not burn very hot, better for warming.
The rei unit I have actually used, works great and would probably run you about 10 pounds with our lousy dollar.:rolleyes:
The army stoves I mentioned are plentiful here, as why keep something usable when you can buy something new.

But I also have a suggestion

Check out this video on you tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQyJQb8fe_g&annotation_id=annotation_759422&feature=iv

or google "WOOD GAS STOVE" lots of info, lots of different designs, very compact, very light, and cheap to make, if you lose one, just make another one, oh and the fuel is free, just pick it up off the ground.

I would be honored to ship you any unit you would like to receive, save on import maybe, as long as no fuel was involved, the gov is very sensitive about shipping flammable or explosive items thru the mail, cannot understand why.
Oh and loose white powder, people just go nuts.;)

One other thing i wish to thank the excellent Jeep Pirate, who came to my rescue once again(My Hero) "You are a scholar and a gentleman, that's my story and I am sticking to it"

The quotes are from some REDNECK comedians that just put me in stitches,
be happy to send you a DVD Called BLUE COLLAR COMEDY TOUR, you would probably like it.

Please post pic's upon your return, you live in a beautiful country, while i am stuck looking at sand, cactus, and snakes:rolleyes:, until i can get back to ARKANSAS for another soothing weekend of twistes and trees.

Ride safe and keep the shiny bits in the air.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Thanks John. I have been called a lot of things, but "a scholar and a gentleman" isn't usually on the list. As for folks still talking like hillbillies, I live near Charlotte, NC and you should hear some of the mountain folk that I run into around the Blue Ridge Parkway. When my Great Grandmother passed away at 99 years old, we had an old time Bluegrass funeral. Sitting there behind the old wooden church listening to my cousins play Amazing Grace on a Mandalin, Banjo and Guitar made me think... you know, 1898 wasn't that long ago. That was the year she was born.

But don't feel to special when it comes to wierd accents. The Brits have a couple of their own languages that can't be understood either. Sometime I have to ask for translations from the folks I work with. Also, if you have never seen the movie Snatch, I suggest you rent it. It is hilarious and Brad Pitt plays a Pikey. That is just unreal. By the way, it is not a kids or womens flic.

Talk to yall later.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
'Two countries seperated by a common language'-GBS

Jeep Pirate, ("scholar and a gentleman")
Thanks for the links, these are some good ideas.
Devon people (Tiverton) do take most things in their stride. If fact they're so laid back they're almost horizontal. It come from covering everything they eat with all that cream. Coming from London, we up here love their accents but we do tend to judge them the same way (as I understand it) you guys think about people from SE Georgia! I did the Blue Ridge Skyline Drive with the family a couple of years ago and I certainly met some strange guys up there. Beautiful part of the world mind.The Scots and Irish I can cope with as I did 12 years in the military with a number of them! Glad I was on their side!

John
I hope the cranial-rectal inversion has healed! I've got to say I struggled when you reverted to the vernacular

"Shoot boy we know what BOARS ar down this way, I reid about them in history class, I did gradeate the sixt grad ya no. Been invaded by the little critters ourselvs, millions of them, routen and tearng up crops all over south texas, I guess you fellas didnnt have good guns back then cause a sharps 50 dos a great job. They are nasty critters, an will get ya ifn you ant carful.
But slap one on a slow pit, roast till falling of the bone, and douse in some fine Carlina eatn sauce and you got a fine meal"

However not one to shy away from modern technology I just 'cut and pasted' the rant into Google Translator (Redneck - English) and this is what it gave me:

"Well now, we are aware of the identity of male pigs locally. We were taught about them at school. You should be aware that I passed my Year 6 SATs! We too have suffered the indignity of piglet invasion. Lots and lots of them. Snouting and destroying riding sticks in all parts of The Alamo. It is suspected that the British did not have pretty weapons in the past as a pointed pair of ponies (£50) is more efficient. They are dangerous and will harm you if care is not taken! However one can be roasted over hot coals until the meat and crackling are overcooked and then cover with some exceedingly hot ketchup which will produce an acceptable snack"

Yup, I definitely preferred your version and the BLUE COLLAR COMEDY TOUR DVD is now on order with Amazon!

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. I shall no doubt now be spending a portion of my Easter weekend perusing 'Cookers and Stoves'. God, what a sad life I seem to lead!

HoraceG

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thanks HoraceG.

I did know about the translator, now you did it, at work and cannot see a dam thing, have to keep the rolling to a min ya know. You will love the DVD i watch the series all the time.

More fun around here to be it seems.

May your GOD/S keep you and yours safe and HAVE A GOOD RIDE FOR ME.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
LOL. Whooda thunk ya kud look up Redneck on Google? Too funny. Not too bad a translation either (except for the Sharps).

I heard you're getting some snow today, Horace... better stock up on the double-clotted!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts