Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all! So i call the dealership on Long Island and ask about rear tire change. I had 8500 miles on it and it had a little life in it but I was planning a trip to New Hampshire and figured I would get it done before. Oem tire, they had one and said it was $200 and to put it on another $150. I was going to get it done but after thinking about it and reading posts here and watching youtube videos I ordered a Kenda Kruz from Ebay and some tire irons and got a 22mm wrench from Ace. I went to NH and tire held up O.K.. 9500 miles on oem not too bad. NH is awesome riding and the people up there a great. Came back KK tire and tools all arrived and I performed my own tire change in my garage for about $160 with tools included. I also bought a belt tension gauge and a green manual and adjusted to 7.5 mm. Seems a little quieter now. So due to warning on the tire to break in for 100 miles I go for a little leisurely test ride around Jones beach ocean parkway ect. typical LI. ride. Last night went out east to restaurant with my wife and on the way home right before the highway and after breaking in tire for 150 miles my wife says "I am tired baby" which means she is falling asleep. So i say "don't worry because this about to get real f*****g exciting". Light turns green and I unleash the Red Dragons fury on the Northern State Parkway for 25 miles and several trips up to triple digits. V&H pipes screaming, PCV controlling and Thunder Air sucking air like a hurricane. Kenda Kruz gripping every turn just fine. Roll into driveway 20 minutes later and wife says "good job Baby". We love this Nomad. Thanks again Dave for the revised map seems to have less decel popping and still hauling a$$. As far as the tire change taking off is a pain in the butt but it went on fairly easy and the whole thing took about 4 hours but next time i will get it down to two ,learning curve. Now Baby (my Rottwieller has a new bridgstone 170 to play with. I wish I could say that was me in the Pic but my wife was just trying to get a pic of Sun and just happen to get these people on bridge during tire break in ride. It is a cool picture though.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nice write up gcsteve! Glad to hear the tire change went well. I got about 9K out of my backtire as well. I was going to go with the Kenda but did not know anyone at the time that was using them. I went with Dunlap E III. I am happy with them but would be interested to hear how you like your tire. You sound like you give your bike a good ride.

I just bought a new front tire to match the back. I have 16,500 miles on the OEM tire and I am still not down to the wear bars yet. I only bought the front tire because it was on sale. I think I will wait to see how many more miles I can squeeze out of the front tire. Anyone else getting as many miles as this?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts