Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going to get clobbered here but I am losing my garage storage next week and can pay the dealer to store my bike in their garage, but for argument sake if the temperature is from 20-30 degrees with the battery on a tender and a full tank on stabilizer, with a good breathable cover, what is the risk? It looks like it will be warming up early this year in Western North Carolina and it would only be a couple of weeks outside while it is cold. I get out and ride it at least once to twice a month in the winter. I see a lot of bikers out now and wonder how many have garages.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I think you'll be fine. She can take it. Mine is stored in temps that low or lower as well, with stabilized fuel and a battery tender. Never had an issue.

As long as the battery is on a tender you'll be fine. One concern might be, as it gets colder, the battery voltage will dip down to levels where it could start to sulphate, but a tender will solve that problem!

I'd definitely keep it under a good cover and give it a really good waxing though. I leave a little wax on nuts and bolts and certain chrome parts too, to prevent any corrosion. (I haven't yet found a cover that'll really keep the bike dry in a hard rain)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shed in a box

cool idea. I am looking to investigate these things for next winter. The garage I am losing belongs to a relative who has sold the house.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2013
207 Posts
I bought my wife a 98 Honda Shadow ACE 750 Deluxe from a guy at work. He parked it next to his house under a really nice cover for 5 years because his garage is so full. He hadn't ridden much for the last 2, and I spent all of last winter cleaning out mud and rust from the rain splashing splashing from underneath. 1+ for Romans advice on a good coat of wax. I would even recommend a coat of Vaseline on your wheels and bolts, or just anywhere shiny and moisture is prone to lay. One other thing to consider if you have 12 month insurance on your scoot is whether your policy requires locked garage storage or not. I've had Rider, State Auto, and Geico policies, and they all asked if my bike would be stored in a locked garage. If (God forbid) your scoot is stolen or vandalized and you have to file a claim, it might affect it. Just came to mind when I read your thread.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate the responses

I do maintain and polish my bike on a regular basis. Next winter I will contract with a dealer or a new friend for storing my bike in a garage. The worst of winter is over with here. I just wanted to see if there would be any possible damage for a short period as I would hate to do all the wrangling for just a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Keep mine outside with 20-30 degree weather all winter in VA here. No tender, and no additive, just keep riding at least once a week and all is well.

They also have a bag you ride into and zip up over top of the bike to have it completely enclosed. Can't remember where I saw that in this forum.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I feel for you guys that don't have a garage of some kind. Personally, it is been a terribly wet winter here and I would do better not to have a bike than to keep outside even with a cover. That's just me!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
West: Near Asheville

Just finished cleaning/waxing/polishing. Also bought a waterproof battery tender.

I am thankful for this forum. I read a lot of the posts to learn more about the bike even if I am not having the same issues. Sometimes I like surprising the dealer techs with my knowledge. :cool: I have a motorcycle meetup.com group and may meet friends this spring who have garages. From March to November the bike is outside under a Dowco Guardian heavy duty cover that goes all the way down to the pavement. The bike is a 2007 but I keep it in "new" condition.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I am in Northern VA and use my 900 LT as a daily driver as long as the temp is above 28 and there is no threat of ice on the roadway. I have driven the bike at 25 degrees and it had no issues with starting either.

I also do not have a garage. What I did purchase was the Cycle Shell ( http://www.cycleshell.com/ ) and love it. Have not had the shell blow over in high winds when the bike was stored inside. It does not offer the protection from the elements that a garage does, but it's better than a pull over cover.

I would say that for less usage than mine and longer storage, the above shell may be a viable option for you. Unless you put a trunk on a luggage rack you only need the 67" Cruiser version. The Tourer version has an extra rib to allow room for full baggers.

Just my $0.02, thanks for your time. :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for link.

I am in Northern VA and use my 900 LT as a daily driver as long as the temp is above 28 and there is no threat of ice on the roadway. I have driven the bike at 25 degrees and it had no issues with starting either.

I also do not have a garage. What I did purchase was the Cycle Shell ( http://www.cycleshell.com/ ) and love it. Have not had the shell blow over in high winds when the bike was stored inside. It does not offer the protection from the elements that a garage does, but it's better than a pull over cover.

I would say that for less usage than mine and longer storage, the above shell may be a viable option for you. Unless you put a trunk on a luggage rack you only need the 67" Cruiser version. The Tourer version has an extra rib to allow room for full baggers.

Found Youtube videos of the shell. This thread may be of interest to many other people.

Thanks for the information. I have seen pictures of the shell in other places but did not know who made them or where I could buy. I do intend on getting garage storage for next winter. The shell is pretty affordable given that a good cover is about $150. I do my best to keep the pavement clean where the bike stands on it.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts

Like both these options. Currently, where my son lives he can not store is bike inside the garage, so he has it under an awning, with a heavy over. This is his first winter outside the garage. These options may offer a bit more protection from the rain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts