Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought i'd start a thread specifically for the windshield. Got the one from Kawi (the lg/17"). It was supposed to come with a "windshield protector" (the strip that goes around the outside edge), but it did not. Husband installed it for me, seemed like a pretty straightforward and simple installation (yes, i helped :)

I don't have but an hour of ride time with it, but so far, I like it. The top of the shield comes to about chin level (I'm 5'7") so i look over it and have good vision . I like that it does not even come close to interfering with my line of sight. I was worried the wind would come over the shield to hit my head, but it does not...it goes over my head and there is no buffeting.

It's going to be a great weekend here so i will get a lot more opportunity to test it out. I will give another report after the weekend both with and without helmet.

And, I like the look of it....simple, clean and classy looking. Will post more photos as i get them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
put on a 100 miles today. Warm and windy. And even though it was windy, i was able to wear a baseball cap the whole time. The windshield is good....

·
Registered
75 Posts
got this one :

136 euro, made by Puig, works like a charm!

the Kawa screen is way to expensive, and it takes Kawa months to get it to the Netherlands :-(

·
Registered
5 Posts
got this one :

136 euro, made by Puig, works like a charm!

the Kawa screen is way to expensive, and it takes Kawa months to get it to the Netherlands :-(
Very nice windshield!

My wife is thinking about getting one. As you say, the Kawa screen is very expensive. Which Puig windshield is? Highway?

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i just picked up my vulcan s yesterday and i got mine with the medium windshield. i'm 5'8" and the wind blowing over the shield just hits the top of my helmet. just perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has anyone else found aftermarket windshields for the Vulcan S yet?

I've enquired with a few places but no luck so far...

·
Registered
23 Posts
We've both just had our medium-sized Kawi windshields fitted. I'm 5'9" and the wife is 5"2' and we're both finding the wind noise a royal PITA. Curious as to how my wife, who is both sitting low in the bike (low seat option), and is whose head is just about level with the top of her screen, is getting the same wind noise as me on the standard seat and with my whole head above the top of the windshield.

I completed a 120mile journey last night at motorway speeds (75-80mph) and really enjoyed the lack of wind pressure on my chest and the corresponding lack of strain on my arms. I'm going to need some better ear plugs or a super-quiet lid though as I can't put up with the noise.

I've never had a screen on a bike before. Is this par for the course?

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
My only experience has been with a Givi windscreen on my scooter. Speed didn't matter – the shorter version that I could just see over created so much wind noise it was unbearable. I exchanged it for a taller version which went over my head, so I was looking through the screen the entire time, and it was all quiet. I have to imagine that whether on a scooter at 25 mph or a motorcycle at 65 mph, the one that pushes air over your head is the only one that reduces noise and buffeting.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I installed the Factory Med. on Patricia's bike and she loves it. She is 5'2" tall.

I have to say I am super impressed by the materials and workmanship of the factory shield and hardware. It is very well made. Not handlebar mounted at all. It is on the upper triple tree forks. Solid mounts, and it quick disconnects if you want to take it off.

Well worth the money.

·
Registered
22 Posts
2XSuffolk

Installed the medium windshield several months ago. Overall it works fairly well, but some head buffeting and wind noise at highway speeds can be expected. Hearing protection is always recommended to avoid long term hearing loss associated with the wind noise regardless of whether you are using the windshield. Hope that helps.

Ride safe

·
Registered
25 Posts
Returning windshield

The expensive Kawi windshield experiment was a disaster for me. I purchased the large one. I'm 6 feet tall. I read some post re: the buffering. Never imaging it would be that brutal. Really didn't work for me. Returning it this weekend.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I made a windshield out of two 1" bar clamps and a 1999 suzuki bandit zero gravity windshield. This is a picture of that setup but I went back to the kawasaki shop yesterday and picked up a 1993 kawasaki zx6 zero gravity windshield that worked out a hell of alot better but I haven't taken a picture of it yet.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I made a windshield out of two 1" bar clamps and a 1999 suzuki bandit zero gravity windshield. This is a picture of that setup but I went back to the kawasaki shop yesterday and picked up a 1993 kawasaki zx6 zero gravity windshield that worked out a hell of alot better but I haven't taken a picture of it yet.

Could you give me the name and make of rear lift stand you have there? I really need to get something to stand the bike up strait. Or just tell me what I need for fitment on the Vulcan S?

TIA

·
Registered
58 Posts
Could you give me the name and make of rear lift stand you have there? I really need to get something to stand the bike up strait. Or just tell me what I need for fitment on the Vulcan S?

TIA
Well it's my old wheel stand from when I had my 636 a long time ago. It's a Harris Racing wheel stand that didn't fit until I made a custom fender eliminator. I think someone said that they have a wheel stand that they use on their S but have to take the tag off when they want to use it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got some more pictures of the 1993 kawasaki zx6 Zero Gravity windsield mounted to my Vulcan S using two 1" bar clamps and I used some plastic push tabs that are used on automotive bumpers to fill in the bottom four holes. I am really enoying riding the bike and not feeling like the wind is trying to push me off the bike. The windshield is curved just enough to get the wind off of your chest but it still hits me about mid way up my helmet so there is no buffering like with the big stock windshields.

Reactions: Cazzy_R
1 - 20 of 218 Posts