Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum for posts comparing the stock seat for the 900 and the gel seat that Kawi offers but nothing came up speaking directly to that. Lots of info on the Mustang seats but they cost more than I'm willing to pay.

I would consider buying the Kawi gel seat, though, if it really makes a significant difference in long-time-in-the-saddle comfort.

Has anyone used both the OEM seat and the Kawi gel seat for long enough to offer a reasonable comparison between them?

Thanks!!

bc

·
Premium Member
42 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I still have the stock seat, but I've ridden a friend's bike that has the gel seat enough to know that I won't waist my money buying one. I read somewhere that the only "gel" in it a small 4"-5" circle right in the center of the seat. The rest is stock cushion. And I believe it. I've been wanting to do the memory foam from Mean City Cycles, but I REALLY want to spend a couple of hours on it before I buy.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Kawi Gel Seat vs. OEM

I put my gel seat on last year the day before a 2400 mile vacation, passenger insisted on a better seat, she loves it but I think with any seat we would still need to stop and do, every hour and half or so. But it does allow us to ride more miles in a day. I like the deep seat and low back support. I may do a mod this winter by stripping the cover and cutting out some foam to be replaced with memory foam or a softer foam. It hasn't been off since that trip and have made many more since then. Good Luck and Merry Christmas!!!

·
Registered
657 Posts
I searched the forum for posts comparing the stock seat for the 900 and the gel seat that Kawi offers but nothing came up speaking directly to that. Lots of info on the Mustang seats but they cost more than I'm willing to pay.

Thanks!!

bc
As one ages, one's priorities tend to change. I've been in the position of believing that a comfortable seat costs more than what I'm willing to pay... until recently. Laying out the scratch for a comfy seat is in my mind an abosolute must if I'm going to ride (10K miles in 9 months). The day will come when you will agree. I could never pay a lot of moola to ride and not enjoy it to the nines!!! This is why I'm currently on a Russell Day Long...mmmmmmmm...comfy!!!:D

·
Registered
170 Posts
BC,

I started off with the stock Kawi seat then went with the Kawi Studded Gel Seat and did a 3500 mile trip this summer on the gel seat and discovered that it was better than the stock but I still did not like it. I then switched over to the Mustang and it is significantly better but still not there for me.

As someone else has said on other post. You will have as many opinions on seat choice as you have people riding. I think it comes down to your size (weight and butt width).

I am heavy and wide so I found that the Kawi Gel was uncomfortable after a long trip and the Mustang is more comfortable because it is wider. I have friends that are Skinny (B*st*rds) and they love the Gel seat.

My $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
641 Posts
How about trying an Airhawk cushion. I have one and like it.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I ponied up for a Corbin seat. It was expensive, but it has a detachable backrest that goes in either the driver or passenger position. It has memory foam and it is very comfy, plus you can pick the cover material/color (I got tan leather with an alligator print).

I haven't regretted it once.

·
Registered
31 Posts
memory foam

I have found that Walmart sells memory foam pillows for about $20 that works fine for me. I use the standard seat with with the pillow strapped on with a bungy cord tied to the passanger foot rest. For short trips of about 150 miles the standard seat works but trips of 500 miles can be made easier with memory foam. I bought my bike in Oct of 2008 and have put about 18,000 miles on it as of Dec 21,2009. I also ride with pants that are loose in the butt like bugle boy's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Kawasaki Gel Seat upgrade

Billc

My wife bought the Kawasaki Gel seat for her 2008 VN900 Classic at the time of purchase and rode that for about one year and put somewhere in the neighborhood of 18,000 miles on the bike. Long story short, when I bought a 2009 VN 900 Classic I left the O.E.M. seat on it but when she rode my bike with the stock seat she wanted me to replace the gel seat with her original stock seat. We have a 2008 model Flame gel seat not being used, if you are interested in purchasing the seat and saving a bunch of money email me at [email protected] the seat is in like new condition. As I said it has some miles on it but has no rips, tears or other blemishes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much for all of your feedback. Didn't make the decision any easier <grin> but at least now I have a lot more information to consider than I had before I asked the question.

I'm one of those skinny-butt types and I'm used to many hours in the saddle, having been involved with endurance riding for years. Even with the stock seat, I typically do 12-hour days (in the riding season) only stopping for food and fuel. Even my plumbing shuts down when I'm riding so I don't have to see Mother Nature until I stop for fuel. I used to install an extra fuel cell on my bikes to allow me to ride non-stop for half a day. As has been mentioned, I'm getting older and my endurance isn't quite as durable as it once was. But three hours or so without stopping is still pretty normal for me. I just bought my LT a month ago and have nearly 2K on her with riding between snow storms. If the weather was drier, I'd have more.

I have used Air Hawk before. It did offer some comfort but it's been long enough that I can't recall why I elected not to use it any longer. I also tried sheep skin but, like the Air Hawk, stopped using it after a while. I wish I could remember why. It might have been that both retained the stock seats rounded (concave) shape and I wanted to get rid of that.

By the way, besides stupid engineering and design, it was that log-shaped seat on my BMW K1200 LT that made me hate riding it. For a supposedly top-of-the-line machine, that was the biggest joke I ever played on myself. That and the $500+ headlight lens replacement that required taking apart the entire front end of the machine.

I prefer the cut of the Kawi gel and Mustang seats. Plenty of room for the tail bone and flat under the butt rather than rounded like stock seats (who on earth enjoys sitting on a log in the first place?).

I did really like my Mustang solo that I installed on my first Kawi years ago: An 800A. I suspect Corbin and Russell are doing the same thing. I read an article once on seat ergonomics that indicated that a truly comfortable motorcycle seat provides those two features: Flat surface and space for the tail bone to ride free from pressure.

So, what will I do? Don't have a clue yet. Guess I'll look back into Mustang and take a look-see at Russell and Corbin. But the Kawi gel does appear to offer both the flat seat and tail bone space and it does remain the least expensive of the lot.

Again, thanks to you all for your insights and experiences. Have a super Merry and a terrific Happy!

bc

·
Registered
166 Posts
I rep;aced my stock seat for a Kaw Gel seat after 1/2 a year - lots better- but after another year I went for the Mustang wide touring seat !! A dream of foam !!!! like a lounge chair and worth every cent !!

Cheers

·
Registered
306 Posts
i was thinking of getting a saddlemen profiler. two questions i have first does anyone have any input on this seat good bad or indiferent. and second is i want the flame stiched one, i see theyoffeer other color stiching, i want itin red for the 900 custom but they dont seem tolist it in red formy bike, so does anyone know if its even an option, anyone ever see one?

·
Registered
25 Posts
sfielder

I have a 2007 1600 nomad. I replaced the stock seat with factory gell seat and drove 606 miles the next day. You are ready for the 150 mile fuel stop.
When you first sit on the seat (everytime) you are sitting higher than the stock seat, but as you drive you can feal yourself sinking into the seat as it molds to fit you. I can not feal alot of differance in the two. YOU WILL have to cover up the seat if you park it in the sun, and it will take over a hour to cool down when you are sitting on it. It is so hot it is almost unbarable.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I solved my seat problems by letting Mean City Cycles rebuild my seat with memory foam. I now can ride with comfort. They did a nice job and only took about a week including the shipping time. Cost was $100.00 for the memory foam and $54.00 total for shipping. Not a bad deal.

Vulcan 900 Custom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts