Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kawboys Northern Adventure 2.0

Calling all kawboys:

I am assigned to give the call out to all riders willing to do an EPIC RIDE, we already started planning a ride to take off from Salt Lake City, Utah headed for Canada, do a few days of mountain riding and come back to the US a few miles West.

The timing, as of now, is at the end of August 2019, maybe early September but still scanning for the best weather time frame.

Right now 2 riders are signed up, yours truly and the mighty Poncho. All interested chime in cus' the planing here in the forum is half the fun.

ZIG / COOTER / KENDAWG / RICKY BOBBY / DON RUMATTA: hope you guys can make it, looking forward to riding with you again.:wink2:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can see there might be no takers on this one.
:frown2::frown2:
Maybe you just waiting 'till the next year get's going b4 you start making plans... well, just do not tell me later I did not give enough time for planning or a a proper heads up!!

:grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This thing started to move along, right now we are between mid-late July or Mid August,

Both original riders with different open dates due to personal commitments so we are trying to figure out a common window to do this ride together.

Meeting point has been moved to Helena, MT as to concentrate the ride closer to the North border, maybe do a ride by in Glacier National park's "Going to the Sun Road" before jumping the border and focusing on Canada's Waterton Lakes/Lake Louise/ Banf/ Jasper national parks. The eplan is to ride the area and maybe do a bit of hiking to enjoy the parks while we give the butts some rest, come back trough Kamloops before parting ways.

I will most pro'bly head west to Vancouver island before jumping the fence back to US side and figure out a route to the southern border from there, maybe I can find a nice road with a decent scenery to pass the time. So far all I got in my head to visit Thor's Well, Crater Lake and I really need to ride my bike trough the Golden Gate at least once (traffic be dammed).

The invite is still open for any one interested in any part of the ride (and site and route adjustment suggestions are most welcome).

·
Registered
954 Posts
Chanoc,

Been awhile since I have been on this forum. I hope all is well with you and your family. This sounds like a great trip. However, my summer breaks are shorter now. 2d week of June through the 4th U.S. Independence Day holiday. Hollo" and to be safe.pe it comes together. If it does, tell the fellas I said hello and be safe.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chanoc,

Been awhile since I have been on this forum. I hope all is well with you and your family. This sounds like a great trip. However, my summer breaks are shorter now. 2d week of June through the 4th U.S. Independence Day holiday. Hollo" and to be safe.pe it comes together. If it does, tell the fellas I said hello and be safe.
Kendawg: Hello there, glad to hear from you, how is the nomad treating you?
Sorry to hear of your reduced summer schedule, I'm sure it makes for shorter rides.
Ponch and I are trying to make our schedule come together to do this ride. Either way I have plans to do it with my wife regardless if we can do it with Ponch or not.

I will end up doing a ride report for it.

Hope we can ride together again sometime without any credit card drama. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
you do realize that Canada is up North right? I mean, just to give you a heads up here, Canada Geese begin their yearly migration South beginning the mid to end of August, actually up North it begins to snow last week of August around the 25th

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
you do realize that Canada is up North right? I mean, just to give you a heads up here, Canada Geese begin their yearly migration South beginning the mid to end of August, actually up North it begins to snow last week of August around the 25th
Yep, we realize that but by the same token you still get rains and some storms mid July, 2 years ago we had a similar plan at the start of July, we ended up changing the plans for some passport issues of 2 of the riders in the group (me one of them) and we were as close as 15 and 30 miles from the northern border at different points of the route, that year, had we gone to our original Canada route, we would have ridden trough rain several days, not the best way to enjoy those mountain views, me think.

So, after several inquiries we ended up with around middle of August as the optimal target, shooting for the driest at least. Then personal schedules come into play.

Right now one of the riders wants middle-end of July (has to be back home in Texas early August) and the other (me) is/am trying to delay until 1st or 2nd week of August for personal reasons also.

As with any trip, weather is still a crap shoot anyway and you have to be ready to adjust route, timing and sleeping arrangements at the drop of a ...... cloud.

Sooooo, as we make the plan, we do go trough some research and at the end make a choice and hope for the best. We do look for alternative so when we have to make changes on the fly we are not completely guessing, it just adds to the adventure part of the trip and that is one aspect that makes this different from a car trip.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Yes, I would enjoy that. "The Nomad is a great bike. I have just over 20,400 miles on her, and she runs just like she always has. I bought a KLR 650 last fall and now have 2 bikes. I think I am going to ride the "Shadow of the Rockies Trail" from El Paso, TX up to Craig, Colorado and back down. Mostly dirt roads and trails. Ought to be fun.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Man, I wish I had the time and the cash to do this sort of thing. There are guys over in the VROC forum that think nothing of ripping through multi-state rides over long periods of time. I just have to sit back and dream about it. Personal, family commitments and finances prevent me from doing this every time. If it isn't one thing, its another.

So let's get another great trip report from ya!! The last one was excellent reading. Momma is going, too, right?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man, I wish I had the time and the cash to do this sort of thing. There are guys over in the VROC forum that think nothing of ripping through multi-state rides over long periods of time. I just have to sit back and dream about it. Personal, family commitments and finances prevent me from doing this every time. If it isn't one thing, its another.

So let's get another great trip report from ya!! The last one was excellent reading. Momma is going, too, right?
Oh YES!!! she's in for this one, we just did a week of camping around Utah for our 30th anniversary (by car this time) and we loved it. Every time we had a nice twisty road I was missing my bike, we did hit some very cold temps at some points and there I did not miss it so much.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I think is time for somewhat of an update.

After a lot of trying we could not get our schedules in sync, well, we kinda did but Poncho decided to stay close to home (TX) so he could help his daughter and get ready to receive his new gran kid and help any way he can.

Me, on the other hand, am too dam stubborn to give up the plan. Me and my wife are planning to set out from our northern Mexico town around August 7-10 on a close to 4 week adventure. I have prelim routes (I will share them in the coming days for comments and suggestions), I divided the trip in 3 stages, Northbound US, from the southern border to the Canada border with some side-stepping trough Yellowstone, Bearthoot pass, Chief Joseph Byway, Glacier N Park. Just ride troughs really 'cus the trip is looooong as it is.

Main thing that has not made this a certainty is, of course, securing enough time time and resources for the trip, as of now, more problematic is time off from work. I guess it doesn't matter what you do for a living (unless you are retired), any job would be hard to put on hold for a whole month without you risking loosing a significant amount of cash flow for the time off plus some time after you get back to it, not to mentioned a full month of spending and not producing anything.... but memories and experiences. Still, I am about 75% there.

Why would I even mentioned all of this.... well, is about sharing the process more than anything. Help me put thing in order in my mind and I hope it helps some people see what goes tru' and the problems you have to deal with to make this kind of trip happen. Is not a snap of fingers and it's done, but a whole process and you have to be aware and enjoy the process, later the trip itself will be done in no time and if you are not careful you wont enjoy the most important part, your connection to the world you are moving trough.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1st stage of the trip is looking like this:

First 3 days are trying to move North, North-East as fast as avoiding the highways and looking for enjoyable roads, Can not avoid ridding the I-15 for a short while getting trough Vegas and to SouthWest Utah and getting out of the desert heat. Going across Zion and up in elevation will be awesome. Hoping the heat will be less of an issue from that point but not counting on it until we get to Montana and beyond

We plan on ridding by Salt Lake City's traffic late on the 3rd day.

Attachments

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After that we slow it down a bit ti ride around Yellowstone, I would not forgive myself if I don't do the Beartooth pass and Chief Joseph Byway rides while within reach, I can not be sure when I might be in the area again... if ever.

About the same with "Going to the Sun" road in Glacier National Park, already been there once but not the wife so I got to take trough there.

So that would take another 4 days getting myself to the Canada border just South of Waterton National Park, by that time we would be on our 8th day.

First map shows the plan route for S Lake City to Yellowstone, the ride around to take in the scenery of the park and our exit on the west side. 2nd map shows our route to the border, the ride trough Logan Pass does not show 'cus at the time of drafting the map that road was not yet open for the summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello everybody, I get lost for a few months and they go and change the site, it gonna take a while for me to get my bearings here.
Well, I access this thread just to say hi, we did go on the dam' trip and manage to get back in one piece. It was off schedule, had to make changes 'cus of weather, adjust timing and routes, had to do repairs on the road, had a blast.... pretty much what was expected!!!
I came back to a full plate of problems to solve and fires to put out in my "regular" job and that kept me busy for a few weeks but now I am ready to start the ride report in a new thread... in a renewed or at least re-designed forum. Should be able to get it going within the week.
Just a few pix as teasers:
20190909_121442.jpg
20190912_121316.jpg
20190915_125506.jpg

20190918_130209.jpg
20191001_120940.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everybody, I get lost for a few months and they go and change the site, it gonna take a while for me to get my bearings here.
Well, I access this thread just to say hi, we did go on the dam' trip and manage to get back in one piece. It was off schedule, had to make changes 'cus of weather, adjust timing and routes, had to do repairs on the road, had a blast.... pretty much what was expected!!!
I came back to a full plate of problems to solve and fires to put out in my "regular" job and that kept me busy for a few weeks but now I am ready to start the ride report in a new thread... in a renewed or at least re-designed forum. Should be able to get it going within the week.
Just a few pix as teasers:
View attachment 240005 View attachment 240006 View attachment 240007
View attachment 240009 View attachment 240011
Cool photos! Awesome ride!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts