Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gas gage has not worked from the time I bought it. I took the cluster off and the needle was tight so I moved it back and forth to loosen it and left it on the full side and each time I did this it would slowley go back past empty almost as it should go to the full mark. Any sugestions on how to fix this problem?
Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sounds like the fuel sensor is wired backwards. Never heard of such a problem. Here is a check to make on the fuel sensor.

Fuel Level Sensor Inspection •
Unplug the sensor lead connector.
Using a meter, measure the resistance across the terminals in the fuel level sensor lead connector.
Black/Yellow
White/Yellow
If the tester readings are not as specified below may have to replace the sensor.
Fuel Level Sensor Resistance
Standard: Full position: 4 ∼ 10 Ω
Empty position 90 ∼ 100 Ω

There is float that moves up and down on the other side of the sensor. To get to it you would need to remove the tank and the sensor. The resistance should change as the float moves up and down. You can empty the tank to see if the resistance changes. I would first see what the measurement is at the connector.
If the ohms are correct and changes based on the fuel in the tank, I wonder if the wires are reversed? What are the odds?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts