Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Need any more really be said?

Notice the rider never does have the balls to push the car tire in the curves and will only open it up on the straight.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Cool post and interesting.

It would have been cool to see a two camera split with one on the bike. The lean angle based only on the tire can be deceiving (at least to me).

The chicken strips on my stock V2K tires are the width of the tip of my pinky finger -hard parts scrape regularly. I wonder if I could still ride like that with a car tire on?

·
Registered
30 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi1shYlklFM

Need any more really be said?

Notice the rider never does have the balls to push the car tire in the curves and will only open it up on the straight.
Really? This is your argument?

I have no dog in this fight, I don't care what other people do and I will make my own decision when the time comes whether or not I will go Darkside - it's entertaining to watch though. The discussion was not about a sport bike that can actually take off it's chicken strips. We are talking about a 900lb behemoth that let's face it, has to be convinced to corner at the best of times. Unless you seriously modify these bikes you aren't going to get anywhere near the limit of adhesion of the tire because once you start scraping hard parts it's a moot point.

Putting a car tire on a sport bike is one thing, putting one on a big fat cruiser is entirely another. Stick with the program.:cool:

·
Registered
643 Posts
"We are talking about a 900lb behemoth that let's face it, has to be convinced to corner at the best of times."

I don't have that issue with my V2K. It readily dives into curves with just a little pressure on the inside bar.

·
Registered
30 Posts
"We are talking about a 900lb behemoth that let's face it, has to be convinced to corner at the best of times."

I don't have that issue with my V2K. It readily dives into curves with just a little pressure on the inside bar.
Hard to read sarcasm in a post I guess.

My VV corners just fine too, for a big fat bagger. In fact when I test rode it before I bought it that was one of the things that impressed me.

But let's face it, even your V2K is no ZX14. How close are you to your chicken strips?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really? This is your argument?

I have no dog in this fight, I don't care what other people do and I will make my own decision when the time comes whether or not I will go Darkside - it's entertaining to watch though. The discussion was not about a sport bike that can actually take off it's chicken strips. We are talking about a 900lb behemoth that let's face it, has to be convinced to corner at the best of times. Unless you seriously modify these bikes you aren't going to get anywhere near the limit of adhesion of the tire because once you start scraping hard parts it's a moot point.

Putting a car tire on a sport bike is one thing, putting one on a big fat cruiser is entirely another. Stick with the program.:cool:
Really? My old Goldwing which only ran motorcycle tires was very easy to lean into corners and was just as good at flicking back and forth. Do you run out of lean angle on a large touring bike quickly? In most cases yes unless you are on a BMW K1600GT/GTL. Like I said you can put wooden wagon wheels on your motorcycle but it does not mean you should. The same applies to cars on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hard to read sarcasm in a post I guess.

My VV corners just fine too, for a big fat bagger. In fact when I test rode it before I bought it that was one of the things that impressed me.

But let's face it, even your V2K is no ZX14. How close are you to your chicken strips?
Ah, you're right. I missed the sarcasm and thought someone was having a bearing issue or something. :)

What do you mean "how close are you to your chicken strips"?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Similarly, I don't have a dog in this fight. That said, putting a car tire on a sportbike is just insane. There is no way you can keep the same level of adhesion at high lean angles. As has already been said, this video says one thing - don't darkside a sport bike and says nothing about cruisers.

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ah, you're right. I missed the sarcasm and thought someone was having a bearing issue or something. :)

What do you mean "how close are you to your chicken strips"?
I mean, if you look at your tire you can see how much of it contacts the road when you lean it over. On my Voyager I scrape the boards frequently, my tires have 1/2" - 3/4" of rubber on the outside edges that have never seen the pavement. My chicken strips are still there.

The point being that on these bike we don't come anywhere near the limit of adhesion for the tires because we can't lean far enough. Not the case for a sport bike like the ZX14 so the comparison is pointless.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I would never, I repeat, NEVER put a car tire on my ZX14. The car tire isn't rated for the speeds the ZX14 can do. A cruiser, maybe but no way on a bike as powerful as a ZX14. Ask me...I know. I have one.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I mean, if you look at your tire you can see how much of it contacts the road when you lean it over. On my Voyager I scrape the boards frequently, my tires have 1/2" - 3/4" of rubber on the outside edges that have never seen the pavement. My chicken strips are still there.

The point being that on these bike we don't come anywhere near the limit of adhesion for the tires because we can't lean far enough. Not the case for a sport bike like the ZX14 so the comparison is pointless.
That's what I mean by "chicken strip" -the unused portion of the tire between the scuff and the sidewall. Mine is about the width of my pinkie. Just making the point that, while we can ALMOST get the use of the entire tire on this bike, hard parts scrape.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's what I mean by "chicken strip" -the unused portion of the tire between the scuff and the sidewall. Mine is about the width of my pinkie. Just making the point that, while we can ALMOST get the use of the entire tire on this bike, hard parts scrape.
Well then I guess we'll just have to agree to agree. :D

·
Registered
643 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Another "yawn"

Mayby that rider is "a-scaired" cause I would drag my frame and highway pegs that were half way up the engine guard during the

150 plus thousand miles I put on car tires on a 2002 Venture...and two Gold Wings, and assorted other 2 wheeled conveyances....

But what gets me is why anyone cares one way or another. Do it or don't... only the do's know and the don'ts always seem to want to foolishly convince the Do's they can't do it. Kinda like the Bumble bee that has wings too small to fly, but guess what????

Simply amusing....

"Yawn" again...

Gonna be another locked thread looks like.... duh....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts