Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: I was adding LED rear lights and must have grounded a live wire. The power just stopped as I was at the rear of the bike. Now when I turn the key nothing! I checked the fuses in the box, the main 30 amp fuse, the 15 amp fuse and nothing. Is there a fusible link anywhere on these bikes? I am just an amateur and don't know where to go from here so any help would be appreciated! The battery seems fine at 12.5 v and is kept on a tender.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Solved it! There was a problem with the negative ground. Now good ground and all is well! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Solved it! There was a problem with the negative ground. Now good ground and all is well! Thanks!
Awesome! Electrical problems are a nightmare for me. I had a condition that went on randomly for a few years- just out of the blue, my bike would die like someone shut it off. And then it wouldn't start. One guy at a shop told me it was my driving lights, they rewired them and charged me 75 bucks. Two weeks later it did it again. So I went to a Kaw dealer. A young mechanic assured me it was the kill switch. So I replaced the entire unit (you can't just buy the switch, you have to buy the whole unit for about 178 bucks). Installed it, turned the key on, and.....pop! fuse blows.

Finally, I took the seat off and started at the battery and chasing everything down. And what to my wondering eyes should appear but a fuel pump that had come off the metal tine holding the rubber mounting bracket on. This caused the pump to vibrate around under the tank and the metal tang wore a slight hole through the hot wire insulation on the pumps. so it would just short out and kill the ignition fuse. I put a dab of silicone sealer on it, taped it all up with electrical tape and re-installed it onto the bracket an put a dab of silicone on it to keep it in place and no more problems. But that had me stumped for some time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts