Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I bought Kawasaki vn900 one month ago , all was great until couple days ago I noticed this noise when accelerate, it's disappears when in neutral
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MsJZ6i9FNyo
What's your opinion, is it loose belt maybe too tight or is it front pulley ?
Never had bike with belt before.
Thanks!
Martin

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
It sounds like the belt. If your rear pulley is Baron or Scotwork the belt is making the same sound if it is not tight or adjust properly. Of course it could be something else. Push your belt up/down . I believe the run is not supposed to be more the 1/2 inch. Good luck finding the issue. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both pulleys are still original , bike only done 9000 miles, not sure how should I check belts free play, it seems quait tight.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Stock settings are really tight. Do you mean it makes the noise while rolling but not when you disengage the clutch? Remember these bikes are noisy and with no more miles than you have on yours I wouldn't think it would be much of a problem. You will like the belt once you get used to it. Noise is no stranger to these machines.

·
Registered
847 Posts
There is a gauge or tool to test the belt with, and there is a sight slot on the guard to view the amount of movement at mid span, between the pulleys. There is a lot of discussion on here about this belt tension. I set mine like the Harley D and have 20,000 mi and no problems. I think on your model the Stator problems have been mostly eradicated. Sorry not much help, there are so many noises on this bike. If I was a Med. Dr. I would say it has a virus.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I don't believe that's the belt. The cadence is not like the belt noises I have heard. This sounds mechanical like something activating or rubbing in a harmonic cycle....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I'll just try to adjust belt tighter/looser , that noise remind me sound when cars alternators belt is loose, it only appears when accelerate on low rpm and disappears when reach higher rpm .

·
Registered
847 Posts
Things like this are hard to locate. I have never known of the stock belts and pulleys to make noises like that. I have never had a stock set up to make any unexpected noise.....It sounds like a valve of some kind opening and closing....The noise seems to be more actuated by engine speed rather than wheel speed.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
If it were a car making that noise with a suspect fan belt. I would dribble water on each belt with the motor idling until the noise goes,Or at least changes and I then know where the noise is coming from
Maybe you can try rubbing some dry soap on the edges of the belt and the teeth just to see it the noise changes and then if it does.You will know you are looking in the right area.

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you upgrade the pipes,all the extra noises go away! HaHa

·
Registered
357 Posts
If it were a car making that noise with a suspect fan belt. I would dribble water on each belt with the motor idling until the noise goes,Or at least changes and I then know where the noise is coming from
Maybe you can try rubbing some dry soap on the edges of the belt and the teeth just to see it the noise changes and then if it does.You will know you are looking in the right area.
I have done the soap trick on a fan belt that was making some noise on my truck. Worked good. Was told to me by an old tractor mechanic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi guys! I bought Kawasaki vn900 one month ago , all was great until couple days ago I noticed this noise when accelerate, it's disappears when in neutral
Thanks!
Martin
Oh Oh hope for you that you are having problem with the output pulley that it comes loose and meanwhile is spoiling the output shaft splines. We have got these problem here in Aruba the bike we have imported it from Florida and year build is 2007. It was making noise when accelerating and de-accelerate kind of something is loose. When opened the cover to get to the output shaft and pulley we have found that the pulley was loose due to the nut and lock nut came loose. I have ordered new pulley, collar oring and nut. installed them accordingly with specified torque but however it came loose again in about 9 months of riding. The same problem have repeated. then we have heli-arced the nut on the shaft it kept in place for 1 year and half and now came loose with weld and all. We did that due to get the parts here is expensive and takes time! Now we have to drop the engine in order to change the GDM shaft and you know the engine have to come down and split the case and with all other parts that have to be removed. OMG alot of work but after all this work hope that it nevermore will bug the owner again. If there is anyone that had the same problem please let me know what have been done and or where to check for other problem.

Thanks for any suggestions I remain.

Rafael E. Maduro
Certified technician in motorcycles.
[email protected]
297-5931456
Aruba Dutch Caribbean:confused::confused::thinking::waiting::freaked-out:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks!
Martin
Just heard your video it is for me the output pulley.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Just heard your video it is for me the output pulley.
Definitely not the front pulley. If the front pulley was loose or the nut had backed off even a little bit it would sound like rocks rattling inside the gear box. That was definitely belt squeal and as the OP stated, they tried the soap trick and the noise is gone. My guess as to why it happened in the first place is the belt was too tight. These bikes are notorious for tight belts from factory and as Sage stated he did, I set mine similar to that of a Harley with no issues what so ever.

I will also add, that if the belt is too tight, it will cause the front pulley retaining nut to back off and cause the noise I described above. I know this from personal experience as the dealer had replaced my rear tire and overtightened the belt. About 1000 miles later I thought I lost my transmission. After talking to a few motorcycle mechanics, they pointed me in the direction of the front pulley being loose, and it was, but just barely. When I put the torque wrench on the nut to tighten it, it was just 1/8th of a turn before proper torque was reached. Noise was gone immediately after torquing the nut to spec.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts