Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally put the trunk kit on my 1700 Nomad that I purchased months ago. Very happy with the kit. It was expensive, but the kit is complete, and the fit and finish is nice. Most time consuming part was getting the rear fender off to deal with the wiring harness. My Nomad has essentially become a 2016 Voyager (the paint scheme, but KAMS or ABS) with a windshield instead of a fairing!

In case you're wondering, I didn't add the trunk mainly for touring, although it'll be nice for that. I added it because my Nomad has become my car --- over 20k miles in a year and a half --- so I just wanted a bit more storage.

Happy and safe riding
Dan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Good job. Looks great.

·
Registered
156 Posts
What kind and where did you get it, did it bolt up or did you have to make any serious changes? Thanks for any info.

Halfbreed

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it from Kawasaki. You can order through the dealer. I believe it's the same as the Voyager trunk, and it all bolts right up. It is a somewhat elaborate kit, however, and takes several hours to install, at least for me. Everything is supplied in the kit. Dealer gave me a discount, but was still expensive. That said, it's nice.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Lookin' Good. I couldn't help but notice your hand guards as well. Did you have to fabricate them yourself?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Got it from Kawasaki. You can order through the dealer. I believe it's the same as the Voyager trunk, and it all bolts right up. It is a somewhat elaborate kit, however, and takes several hours to install, at least for me. Everything is supplied in the kit. Dealer gave me a discount, but was still expensive. That said, it's nice.
I remember they used to have the whole assembled kit for about $1000 I believe on the Kawasaki accessories website. I haven't priced it on the OEM stores but I imagine it might come out to be quite a bit more.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lookin' Good. I couldn't help but notice your hand guards as well. Did you have to fabricate them yourself?
Got the hand guards from national cycle. I put em on for winter (I ride all year), but have been too lazy to take em off. They do reduce the wind chill significantly in the winter, though I don't think quite as well as a fairing.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Luggage Rack

Did the lid crack or the base and did it crack when you hauled something on the rack our just by installing it. I bought a luggage rack but am now not sure if I want to install it now
The lid cracked on installation. I installed it and all was fine. I got concerned about the small nickle size washers that supported the screws on the inside of the lid and that the screws would come loose from vibration since I did not want to over tighten them. I removed the screws one by one an put lock tight on them. That's where I went wrong. From what I'm told, Lock tight does not play well with the ABS that the trunk is made of and it cracked. Kawasaki would not warranty the trunk so I took the lid off and manufactured supports for the luggage rack to sit on and made a mirror set for the inside. Then used a marine epoxy to seal the cracks. At that point I did not know the lock tight had caused my issues and used it again on the hinge bolts when I reassembled the trunk. That's when the base cracked around the hinge bolts. I then manufactured a support for the hinge side and reassemble it. I use plastic dip spray to cover the epoxy and alum supports. The end result is what you see in the photos. I haven't had and issue since. If I had it to do over again I'd buy the second of the 2 racks in the photos. A friend of mine had it on his voyager and hasn't had any problems with it and don't use lock tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Finally put the trunk kit on my 1700 Nomad that I purchased months ago. Very happy with the kit. It was expensive, but the kit is complete, and the fit and finish is nice. Most time consuming part was getting the rear fender off to deal with the wiring harness. My Nomad has essentially become a 2016 Voyager (the paint scheme, but KAMS or ABS) with a windshield instead of a fairing!

In case you're wondering, I didn't add the trunk mainly for touring, although it'll be nice for that. I added it because my Nomad has become my car --- over 20k miles in a year and a half --- so I just wanted a bit more storage.

Happy and safe riding
Dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m a little late to the party but I need help with the wiring of a voyager trunk to my vaquero. Everything is done and ready to go except one little problem. The trunk light bar does not light up and stay in the running light mode. Thx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts