Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Hopefully soon it will get warm here to ride...
When it does, I'm going to change the oil etc.
I'm thinking to change the oil in my Voyager for synthetic.
What are your thoughts on the synthetic oil that's sold by kawaski as the part of the maintenance kit?
Should i go with that or you recommend a specific brand?
Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
when I brought my 15 vaquero back to the dealership for the first 600 mile service, they put the kawasaki S4 10/40 synthetic in it with out asking me what oil I wanted. when I asked the service guy about the oil he said that is what they use for all the bikes they sell and service after the engine is broken in. I didnt believe the engine was broken in at that time but I figured that the dealership knows what there doing and now at 16000 klms later the engine is now running alot smoother all with synthetic oil. I have done 4 oil changes my self since the first one at 5000 klm intervels. my bike came with a 3 plus 1 year extended warranty and the same dealership will be doing any work to it if required.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've been using Kawasaki filters and S4 10w40 synthetic in my bikes for over one million kms, and I change the oil every 10,000 kms. No issues relating to lubrication in any of the bikes, it's good stuff. That's not saying it's better or worse than any other brand, and of course Kawasaki doesn't even make it. In Canada it is supplied by NOCO Energy and their website implies they use Mobil 1 oil. I buy it from my dealer for $9.00 a liter from their 45 gallon drum, so a reasonable price for good quality oil.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The kit is a reasonable price considering it includes the filter and gasket, but you will need an extra 1/2 liter of oil and another gasket. I've got by with reusing the gaskets a few times so no big deal there. Torque the plugs and filter to 20 NM.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The kit is a reasonable price considering it includes the filter and gasket, but you will need an extra 1/2 liter of oil and another gasket. I've got by with reusing the gaskets a few times so no big deal there. Torque the plugs and filter to 20 NM.
I get the extra bit of oil...it was the same in my previous bikes, but why do we need second gasket??? Are there actually two gaskets?
I will be honest here... i did not look into the manual for the oil change procedure yet :)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Hey guys,
Hopefully soon it will get warm here to ride...
When it does, I'm going to change the oil etc.
I'm thinking to change the oil in my Voyager for synthetic.
What are your thoughts on the synthetic oil that's sold by kawaski as the part of the maintenance kit?
Should i go with that or you recommend a specific brand?
Thanks.
Valvoline 10-40 full synth,Bike loves it,As Gv said 2 drain plugs,2 washers,kaw dealers have em like 2 bucks for a bag,Have 6 left for my Nad:smile2:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Synthetic oil all the way...superior lubrication! I have heard that the ideal time to change the oil is prior to seasonal storage, it kinda makes sense to me.
Happy trails...👍

Rusty

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Rottela T6 for the last 2 changes, change every 5k miles. That said, when I bought my 2012 Voyager with 0.3 miles on it, the service guy who went over the basic of the bike before I rode off the lot said its ok to run synthetic in these bikes but not needed, personnel preference I guess.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Rottela T6 for the last 2 changes, change every 5k miles. That said, when I bought my 2012 Voyager with 0.3 miles on it, the service guy who went over the basic of the bike before I rode off the lot said its ok to run synthetic in these bikes but not needed, personnel preference I guess.
After the 600 mile service, I am switching to T6.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Another oil thread, I'll go get the popcorn!

Change the filter and oil with correct type stuff, change on or before required, enjoy. Just remember short runs(-30min.) hot/cold, dusty, are all considered severe conditions for early changes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
OMG, I am not qualified to recommend an oil. That being said, I HAVE NEVER HAD AN ENGINE FAILURE DUE TO OIL. I change often and at recommended intervals. Oil and filter each time. Get over it. Use what makes you feel good.
When you fish, you use the lure that gives you confidence and you are successful. Same with oil and proper maintenance. Follow the guidelines for miles and riding for your oil changes. Find something else in life to excel at. We are not racing 24 hours at Daytona (Cant spell La Mas) , Just riding around having fun.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
so you guys got me thinking of oil, and i love buying oil, so i just checked my stash supply on hand and i got 2 jugs of shell rotella 5w40 and 3 jugs of shell 15w40, maybe I don't need to buy any more, that might be enough for this coming summers riding

·
Registered
18 Posts
In my 1700 Vulcan I use motul 10-40 semi synthetic,in a pinch you can add any other type of oil without an issues. It's cheaper than the Kawasaki synthetic and just as good. As far as I know motul makes the Kawasaki oil. It's changed every 5000 miles along with the filter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Noticed this on another site,thought I should pass it along. As per Shell's website the formula has been changed on our beloved T6.

There are many over on the VTX boards who are experiencing clutch problems now due to this change. Shell has confirmed that the formula has changed and has added Moly to the T6.

Looks like the next change will have to be with a different oil.

DC

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Been running synthetic since the 600 mile change. Five years ago....

·
Registered
92 Posts
When changing over to synthetic does the engine need to be flushed or just drained. I was going to use Rotella T6 but if it's changed I will go with the Kawasaki brand. Only thing it's about 20% more in price to buy it here.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
When changing over to synthetic does the engine need to be flushed or just drained. I was going to use Rotella T6 but if it's changed I will go with the Kawasaki brand. Only thing it's about 20% more in price to buy it here.
No flush needed, just drain and add the new oil. Change the filter and check any screens, of course.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts