Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Memorial Day weekend I took a 300 mile ride on T'Pol. The 1st 200 miles wasn't bad but I had issues with the final 100. I had to stop for a little bit now and then to let the achy parts feel better.

A couple weeks ago I bought a slightly used gel seat on eBay. The previous owner said he used it one weekend but it was too stiff but he did like the lower back support. I had did some research on here the majority of the people who bought Kawi's gel seat bought it because they were concerned about Mustangs moving you up and forward in the driver position. They stated the Kawi seat doesn't do that.

So here is my quick review: PROS

Easy to install:

There are studs in the seat for the lock plate and the strap. Just reuse your nuts, the lock plate and your rubber snubbers. I chose not to install the strap because it didn't seem to fit well and honestly I didn't want it on there anyway.

Rider comfort:

Well for those who say these seats retain stock riding position and/or do not move you forward or upward I am here to say mine did. It was uncomfortable at 1st mainly because my normal center of gravity had shifted. After a couple days of riding I became accustomed to it just like the Mustang seat owners stated with their seats.

Lower back support is very nice and the seat is definitely FIRM. My tush remembers the feeling of my buddy's 06 VN1600. His seat is quite firm too as is the 08 Nomad that I might be bringing home soon. Overall rider comfort is greatly increased and honestly now that I am used to the seating position I am more comfortable overall hands, feet etc.

Passenger comfort:

My wife and my two younger twin daughters who are regular passengers with me have all had some seat time.

My wife said that at the end of our ride it felt as though it would "hurt my butt" and that she "really won't know until we go on an hour ride."

Annalisa said that after we had traveled about 25 miles (of a 35 mile ride) her butt was starting to get uncomfortable however she feels the seat needs broken in. She does think that the higher passenger height seems "creepy".

Emma, her twin, loved it. She said it was very comfortable.

It's interesting that from tallest to shortest it goes Anna, Wife, and Emma and Emma is most likely the fluffiest and she really isn't that fluffy.

Quality:

It seems very nice. I like the Vulcan stitching in the rear and up until a week or so before I bought this I was unaware that Kawi had a studded version of the seat. I like the looks of the OE seat over this seat but since I really broke in the OE seat this seat feels much nicer on the business end. Now I bought this used and it looks like there is a tiny separation near a stud near the passenger area. It could have been a defect I am not sure BUT this seat was bought USED. I also like the smooth feeling of the OE seat VS the texture of this seat. I have seen the "flame" and standard version of this seat and I don't recall the texture. Overall the quality is worth the money and if I had purchased it new and saw the "defect" I feel they would replace it. It did have a 1 year warranty.

Price:

The price is more favorable than the Mustangs. Kawi retail for the studded seat is $290, the other versions are less. You can find new ones on eBay and some are free shipping and some are not so always factor that into the equation. I'll be honest, I got this for a steal, I paid $195 shipped so no complaints there. I would recommend this to anyone looking to upgrade their VN900 seat.

CONS:

If there is one that I have noticed it is this, the seat tends to absorb solar heat when sitting outside of work waiting for the ride home. I never noticed this with the OE seat, at least not to this extent. I was a mile down the road and I said to myself ( I tend to talk to myself while I ride ) "Wow my @ss is hot and I don't mean sexy." LOL It was a bit uncomfortable for the 1st 5 - 10 minutes and after the 25 minute ride home I still felt it but not as much.

Personally I can't speak for vertically challenged people but I would think if you are 5'5" ( I am 5'11") or less adding a seat like this might make your foot print a little less secure BUT the ride position would feel more secure.

Neither pro nor con but in the future I will buy the Mustang studded seat and bar pad. The only reason is that I like the looks of them with the little conchos and the seat style in general.

Any thoughts or questions are welcome.

~ Cruiser331 ~

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have to agree with you. It did change the ridding position. For me, it was a great improvment. I am also 5'11 and i feel I sit deeper into the bike. As for foward and aft, I did not notice much of a change. If anything I would say I am able to sit further towards the rear because of the steep back support that is more vertical rather then a sloped angle. The comfort you experinced is almost the same I did. I weigh in at 210lbs (its all downstairs) and my rear end was completly numb after 45 minutes. Unfortunalty I have to return mine because of a defect in the seat pan. Mine is a very poor fit to the bike. I bought it new from a vendor on ebay for $235 shipped. I think its a better seat then stock, but more in the looks deparment rather then the comfort deparment. Thanks for the review

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to agree with you. It did change the ridding position. For me, it was a great improvement. I am also 5'11 and i feel I sit deeper into the bike. As for forward and aft, I did not notice much of a change. If anything I would say I am able to sit further towards the rear because of the steep back support that is more vertical rather then a sloped angle. The comfort you experienced is almost the same I did. I weigh in at 210lbs (its all downstairs) and my rear end was completely numb after 45 minutes. Unfortunately I have to return mine because of a defect in the seat pan. Mine is a very poor fit to the bike. I bought it new from a vendor on eBay for $235 shipped. I think its a better seat then stock, but more in the looks department rather then the comfort department. Thanks for the review

Are they replacing the seat or are you going with something different?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dont know yet. I emailed them today and am waiting for a response. I would rather have my money back to tell you the truth

·
Registered
976 Posts
I had the stock seat. I sent my stock seat into Spencors and had gel put in it, that was a lot better and in fact I did my Iron Butt/Saddle Sore ride with it. I also had a large pillow sham on top of it with an Alaskan fur strapping it down. I was pretty soar by the end of that. Then I bought a used Mustang tour with backrest and put it on the bike. It did change my riding position but heck, so did that pillow sham, and it didn't take much riding to be comfortable/one with the bike again.

Did it work? Last year we took a little trip up to Michigan. 16 hours on the bike till I got to my campsite. Only stopped because we were there. Got up the next morning ready to ride and road another 8 hours, then found a 12 hour route to get home. Road to work the next day, wasn't a bit sore. Stopped every couple hours for gas was all the rest needed.

I've sat on the Gel seat but haven't spent a long time on it. If after you get your's broken in you can get the same duration days out of the bike, I'd say it'll do you good. If you can't though put that sucker on Ebay and go buy you a Mustang.

Everybodies Butt is different, YMMV.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like I said, I will be buying a
stang seat in the future because I like the appearance of it. All the raves of how they feel are testimony enough. I did this testimony / review because I am sure there are those who are considering a less expensive seat and are wondering how it is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the gel seat and do NOT like it. I went back to the stock seat and am much happier. The gel seat is too firm for my liking. On a recent 800 mile ride, I learned the gel set is not the one for me.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I said, it is quite firm.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have the Kaw Flame Gel. It sits a tad lower than the stocker but other than that nothing noticeable,,,except it sux like the stock seat. If it wasn't for the cost of UPS someone could probably do a try- before-you-buy plan. My boat likes candy too and I can't keep throwing money in seats. I'd like to try a Mustang or Russell but that's a grand if I have to keep throwing away seats...and I work too many hours to have to deal with reselling and losing my butt on stuff.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Are they replacing the seat or are you going with something different?
The seller got back to me today, and said he has sold over 100 of these seats without an issue. I told him I believe him, but mine does have an issue. I took pics to send to him, but he did not ask for them. He will probably repackage it and resell it to someone else who will have the same issue. I picked up a Used Mustang seat today for $250 in great shape. It was local so I was able to see it before I bought it. But I wont comment on it because this thread is for your Kawa Gel seat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts