Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for another one of these, but I searched and couldn't find my answer.

I bought a Kawasaki K32001-010A Light Bar (only available in chrome). I had the light bar powder coated to match my bike (damn SE black-out paint). I installed the light bar per the included instructions, and no power to the passing lights.

Could the powder coat be keeping me from getting a good ground connection? Do I need to sand the powder coating off all metal to metal connections to re-establish the ground?

Any info would help.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
I got the Cobra Light bar. I wired it up to the high beams behind the headlight. there should be a ground wire was well. if not you can probably run one to the frame.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I got the Cobra Light bar. I wired it up to the high beams behind the headlight. there should be a ground wire was well. if not you can probably run one to the frame.
+1. Yes, a good powder coat can insulate the light bar. I concur with the above and would run a separate additional ground wire.

·
BOTM Winner, July 2016
52 Posts
I had to do the same to my light bar. see thread here: http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69282

I did not run a separate ground wire, but being an automotive engineer I was aware of frame grounding. My powder coating guy even coated all the bolt heads, washers, and hardware, so I had some sanding to do to maintain the ground. However, I did not have him coat the inside of the headlight cans.

I thought about running a new separate ground wire but I would have had to drill out the existing hole that the power wire goes up and put in a new grommet. I just decided that maintaining the frame/chassis ground was easier.

The headlight bulb ground gets connected to the metal can shell. I cut this wire and stripped the insulation prior to the coating process. During reassembly I soldered the wire back together and shrink tubed it.

Ground path is from the bulb, to the shell/can, through the bolt, to the bracket. You may just have to sand the inside of the vertical pivot points and the under/inside area where the lights bolt to the horizontal bracket.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sorry for another one of these, but I searched and couldn't find my answer.

I bought a Kawasaki K32001-010A Light Bar (only available in chrome). I had the light bar powder coated to match my bike (damn SE black-out paint). I installed the light bar per the included instructions, and no power to the passing lights.

Could the powder coat be keeping me from getting a good ground connection? Do I need to sand the powder coating off all metal to metal connections to re-establish the ground?

Any info would help.
Sorry Dude. But not true. Available under the Special Edition Finish Part number: K32001-013B. Hope you figure out the grounding issue though :-/

http://www.kawasaki.com/KawasakiNew/Accessories2/PCItemDetail.aspx?ItemNumber=K32001013B&Reason=Y&intCatalogID=1&intCatalogType=4&ProductTypeID=63&ModelMarketingId=449&ModelYear=2012&CategoryID=198

·
BOTM Winner, July 2016
52 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Good to know...

Though since the light bar on the Custom SE mounts with two 6mm (i think) bolts on the bottom of the lower triple tree, I'm curious if the Custom SE bar would fit on the Classic. I haven't seen a classic up close and personal enough to know, but seems like it just might work. The determining factor, at least in my mind, is if the pre-drilled holes on the bottom of the triple tress are in the same location on each.

oh well, my mistake on not catching the OPs particular model...

·
BOTM Winner, July 2016
52 Posts
There is some stuff listed on the custom list that i'm tempted to try, like the black tach and the black engine guard. But the part numbers on the chrome versions of the guard are different so i dont think i'll risk it. Just going to have the chrome one coated like every thing else. and I think the bars are different diameters.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you'd like, I can get you some photos of the light bar mounted on the Custom so you can compare it to how it might fit on yours. I've also got the engine guard, sissy bar, and luggage rack. All in the black SE trim.

I'm swapping out my rear tire tomorrow, so I'll be working around the bike a good bit anyways...

Let me know if you want any particulars.

·
BOTM Winner, July 2016
52 Posts
no its alright last year I put on the light bar, wind shield and lowers, got the chrome ones and had them all powder coated.

This week i put on the back rest, luggage rack, and passenger floorboards. had everything but the floorboards powered coated flat black. I'll post pics next week. for pics of the front end stuff click the link in my first post.

Thanks though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts