Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Picked up a new 2010 Nomad this week. Dealer indicated they did a few recalls and bill of sale shows accessories with the line "KIT, ECU M10-06" which matches to 99999-0316 and 99999-0318 on parts-planet.com.

·
Registered
1 Posts
recall of ECU

I recently had the ECU replaced because of the recall and have noticed a significant decrease in fuel mileage: from 39 to 33 MPG. Has anybody else had this problem, and if so what did you do to remedy it?

·
Registered
434 Posts
fuel mileage

initially I did notice a drop in mpg with the new ECU, for about 2000miles, then it started to improve... when new, my 09 nomad was averaging about 35mpg, with new ECU it dropped to average of 33mpg for a couple of thousand miles, then over the next 3000 miles it has steadily improved until I am now averaging 38mpg... go figure??? it is weird. but I'm happy about the improvement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@Jabolane, Had my ecu replaced a while before Xmas 2011 on my 09 nomad. worst thing I could have done, my Nad was great before had heaps of power and brilliant fuel consumption 16.8KMs/litre (Aussie) and no stalling problem, now the thing is a slug! I have to change down from 5th (cant use 6th at all) to 4th to go up hills I could just cruise up before and the fuel economy has gone to the dogs, down to 12 KM's/litre and it has also developed a hesitation under light acceleration (you know like we use going around corners in towns) that's the last thing fuel injection should get.

on top of the other issues this bike had, heat, plastic bits coloring from said heat and other bits being plastic that on my other two nomads are chromed steel (metal of some type at least) this "fix" has ruined this bike to the point it is now non ride-able for me.

Kawasaki here in Perth, West Oz have tried to come to the party and got yet another "new" ECU and I commend them for that, but the same thing is happening, there is something this bike does not like about the new ECU.

At first its great just like it used to be great power and fuel economy, but then as I get about 30 - 40 KM's down the road the hesitation starts to come back and the fuel eco starts to degrade and by 80KM's its right back to being a slug again.

Going to give a power commander a go and see if that can help, no point in keeping on changing Kawasaki ECU's, that's just going to annoy both the dealer and me.

If the PCV doesn't "fix" this thing It will be making room for something better.

It just really "cranks" on me that this bike "was" good and after the "fix" its now rubbish.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
@Jabolane, Had my ecu replaced a while before Xmas 2011 on my 09 nomad. worst thing I could have done, my Nad was great before had heaps of power and brilliant fuel consumption 16.8KMs/litre (Aussie) and no stalling problem, now the thing is a slug! I have to change down from 5th (cant use 6th at all) to 4th to go up hills I could just cruise up before and the fuel economy has gone to the dogs, down to 12 KM's/litre and it has also developed a hesitation under light acceleration (you know like we use going around corners in towns) that's the last thing fuel injection should get.

on top of the other issues this bike had, heat, plastic bits coloring from said heat and other bits being plastic that on my other two nomads are chromed steel (metal of some type at least) this "fix" has ruined this bike to the point it is now non ride-able for me.

Kawasaki here in Perth, West Oz have tried to come to the party and got yet another "new" ECU and I commend them for that, but the same thing is happening, there is something this bike does not like about the new ECU.

At first its great just like it used to be great power and fuel economy, but then as I get about 30 - 40 KM's down the road the hesitation starts to come back and the fuel eco starts to degrade and by 80KM's its right back to being a slug again.

Going to give a power commander a go and see if that can help, no point in keeping on changing Kawasaki ECU's, that's just going to annoy both the dealer and me.

If the PCV doesn't "fix" this thing It will be making room for something better.

It just really "cranks" on me that this bike "was" good and after the "fix" its now rubbish.

Do you know if the dealer disconnected the battery when the replaced the ECU? How you would know is that all your tripmeters would clear back to all zeros.

If they didn't then you want to disconnect the battery, and turn the ignition on and off, reconnect the battery, start the bike without touching anything but the starter and let it idle for 10 minutes without touching anything.

Then go for a ride of about 20 miles and see if anything changes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@twowheeladdict, cheers for the thought.

I can attest that on both occasions they did not disconnect the battery at the time of the ECU swap however it was one of the things they did, when I first made noise about the first ECU, to try and clear it.

Will try it again with this "new" one

·
Registered
148 Posts
Clicked on link and says it is no longer there.

My 2011 VN1700 Classic stalled on me 4x's tonight. Twice on the highway other 2 at traffic lights. After 3rd stall I turned around headed back home and did oil change. Oil wasn't technically due for a change for another 200 miles, had 2800 miles on 2nd oil change. So did oil change and started using Mobile one 20w50 Full V-twin syn (what a difference in performance) Engine is much quieter, don't hear valve taps any longer. Anyway, it did stall on me again at another traffic light after oil change.

First stall I ever experienced was 06/2012 "Bought the cruiser new 03/2012 as a left over. After that first stall I figured it was because of not adding exact amount of 5.3 quarts of oil when I did change that day and it literally stalled 15 mins after change. Then added tiny bit more and no more stalls, that was until 05/28/2013 where it stalled twice on a 2 lane highway. Checked oil dipstick when I got home and saw it was a tiny bit below so added tiny bit to top off. Then rode it this evening when all the stalling commenced.

Kawasaki only from what I read had a recall for 09-10's "nothing for 2011's". and I have a feeling my 2011 was built in 2010 and very possible has the recall problem with ECU.

Planning on contacting local dealer tomorrow morning about this and see what they can do for me. No warranty is on my VN1700 now, and I'm not paying for a ECU from Kawasaki. Their ECU should not fail under 5500 or go back to first stall I had 2757 on odometer when first stall occurred.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So after few "new" ecu's and then an actual new one from a new nomad on the shop floor my 09 nad still was a fuel guzzling slug, so took it to someone who was recomended by at least 3 bike mechanics, this guy is a real wiz with the dyno. He took one look at the bike and said "To fix the problem you will either replace most of the fuel injection system piece by piece untill you find the problem or you will sell it, the power commander wont do a thing for it"

I now own a really nice victory cross country.

I still have my 1998 nomad (yes they do exist, they were released here in oz a year before the states) and I will always own it. But thankfully I nolonger have a nice looking shed slug.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just picked up an 09 Nomad. Is the recall still in effect? How can I tell if it was done by the PO?
Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks so much!
Now if they could rid my '09 Voyager of that damn whine from the belt area I would be "at one" with the KHI! :)
belt wine was gone with less tension giving belt about 3/4" movement mid point on belt, mine was bowstring tight before now all I hear is gear wine

·
Registered
39 Posts
The original link for the AMA is no longer any good.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts