Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello everyone,
Can anyone please tell me if there is a place on the Kawi website where I can enter my VIN number to see if it is affected by the recall? I live in Canada and tried to find something like that on their website but couldn't see anywhere to do so.
I just purchased a 2010 ABS 1700 Voyager yesterday and would like to check it out.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Voyager VIN Number Check

Hey Shikano, you may want to try the regular Kawasaki Web Site. I believe you can access one of there programs (?) and type in your VIN Number and it will tell you if there are any recalls. Hope this helps.
T-Rex

·
Registered
125 Posts
Voyager VIN Number Check

Hey Shikano, had a minor brain fart when I posted my last. Online go to Kawasaki Motorcycles, when the web site opens, click on Owner Information. You'll find the place where you can type in your VIN.
T-Rex

·
Registered
10 Posts
Actually, many of us are getting parts that were only intended for "new" unsold bikes. Then our ECUs are getting sent back to be reprogrammed and sent back out to be installed in "sold" bikes. I called my dealer on Monday and had my new part in on Thursday. Might be your dealer instead of Kawasaki because the dealer has to pay for the part and then will get reimbursed by Kawasaki. They are handling the paperwork just like any warranty item. This way the dealer makes a little on the part and the .3 hours of labor.
That makes sense to me. My dealer was already getting in ECUs on Tues after I received my recall letter on Monday... and, when I called to see if I could come in on Friday rather than the Saturday I made my appt for, they had to make sure that their ECU stash was back from the warehouse where they were busy updating their inventory

·
Registered
52 Posts
I received the ECU recall notice letter from Canadian Kawasaki Motors Inc. this morning. It states the "Kawasaki dealer will correct the problem for you at no charge. The repair consists of replacing the electronic control unit. The actual repair will take up to half an hour but may take longer due to schedulling at the dealership and the time needed to obtain required parts".
"DO NOT RIDE YOUR MOTORCYCLE UNTIL THIS REPAIR HAS BEEN COMPLETED". I have to admit that this has not been a big problem for me so far and the bike has only stalled a few times and luckily never in a dangerous situation. The repair will have to wait until spring now as I have already drained the gas, changed the oil, removed the battery, lowered the air pressure in the tires and pushed it up on a wooden plank in the garage for winter storage.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I called the dealer this morning to arrange to take it in - seems like Kawa Australia has no such recall.

The dealer hadn't heard anything about it. :confused:
Hopefully it's just an admin thing and it will filter down to the other countries shortly - I've been waiting for a solution to this problem from day one.
I'm off to the stealer tomorrow to get my V&H pipes and other bits fitted, so while i'm a weighting i will be harassing his ass about it,
Kwaka aust can only lose hiding the recall

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm off to the stealer tomorrow to get my V&H pipes and other bits fitted, so while i'm a weighting i will be harassing his ass about it,

As a follow up to my previous post - the dealer got back to me after calling kawa oz and said that something was in the works but it wasn't happening yet. I'm guessing this means it is being rolled out countr by country.

I'm sure in a week or two we'll get a notice.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey Auss, Hows it goin?
Let us know how the V&H's sound and how you like em. What else are you having done? and how in the hell did you get your mufflers? Here in the states their all on back order till the 30th.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
I read on the first page of this thread that there are some issues with the belts making noise. I had the same problem on my VN2000 and finally figured out how to solve it. My belt now runs totally quiet.

The alignment marks on the adjusters and on the frame are NOT calibrated. They are, at best, ballpark marks to start with. Raise your bikes rear tire off the floor and block it up level. Run the engine with transmission in gear and observe the belt from behind the bike. There should be a very small gap on both sides of the belt to the pulley sides. If not, regardless of what marks you are aligned to, the wheel is out of alignment.

NOTE: Engine does not need to run fast. 2nd gear at idle is fast enough to observe what the belt is doing.

If the belt is running to the outside edge of the pulley, loosen the axle and change the setting of the RIGHT side adjuster to move that side forward about 1/2 turn on the bolt. Lock down axle and run engine again to observe belt position. Repeat until belt runs in center of pulley.
Vice Versa for belt running to inside edge of pulley.
You only need to change one adjuster to align the belt unless your belt tension is way off. Set the tension to manufacturers specifications and then recheck alignment.
Make certain that you tighten the adjuster lock nuts to their new position so when you have to change tires it will go back in the same position.

This will also help with rear tire life expectancy as the tire will be running true and not sliding sideways all the time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey Auss, Hows it goin?
Let us know how the V&H's sound and how you like em. What else are you having done? and how in the hell did you get your mufflers? Here in the states their all on back order till the 30th.
they sound hawt damn hawt!!!

tooo frickin loud, (is that possible ? )
these had already been ordered by the local rep earlier,

things that i am aware of V&H sell a power comander thingo, may be use full,. but i hear it stuffs with the kawak ecu ?
K&N filters may help
worst case an 02 sensor or a re map
i'll start a post on this
they look good i have to hack the stealer up tomorrow caus i am sure theres a heat sheild missin
they sound great
heeeeeeeps of grrrrunt (improved power)
surges and farts and flutters randomly between 2 and 3 k revs unles power is being applied

no back firing,

tweeking reqd, but lovin it :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
As a follow up to my previous post - the dealer got back to me after calling kawa oz and said that something was in the works but it wasn't happening yet. I'm guessing this means it is being rolled out countr by country.

I'm sure in a week or two we'll get a notice.
the guy i went to got that panicked looke in his eye, and i could smell smoke,
i talked to one of the sales guys later an he knew of it , its rollin out soon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got the new ECU installed

I have a 2009 1700 Classic LT. I got the recall and had the ECU replaced today. They installed part # 99999-0323. I had a good one before so I didn't notice a change in stalling or smooth response. I did notice a deeper sound that some others reported. I rode about 20 miles. I shifted into 6th gear at 55 as I started up a hill and then rolled back on the throttle. Went from 55 to 75 quickly but that was about the same as before. The real difference is Computer Miles Per Gallon. Again, I was getting good mileage and was getting 39 - 41 MPG (gas pump calc and computer almost matched). Now, the computer is showing that I was getting 45.7 MPG over the 20 miles and I was really jerking the bike around trying to make sure that the ECU was good. I am heading out now for a long ride and will try to fill up at the pump and make the calculation after another fill-up on Friday or Saturday. Long story... but ECU is great!

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
April, welcome to the world of VN2000's. They clunk, squeak, groan, and make all sorts of noises. Wait until your fuel injectors start rattling like crazy, you'll love it.
Ignore the noises and ride the beast. Put loud pipes on it and cover most of the noises.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Thanks starting to think should have kept my 1999 1500. starting to think it was a dume move.
What did you buy?

If you wanted a quiet bike you should have gotten a goldthing. Personally, I like to hear engine noises, exhaust sounds, and the audible que that I am indeed in the next gear. :)

I will never go back to carburated bikes with the manual choke and sticking floats, and hard starting if you let it sit for 3 weeks.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
If you think the 1700's clunk while shifting you should have ridden my old xs1100.

·
Registered
75 Posts
April,

I put synthetic oil in her and it quieted down the clunk a little. I agree with twowheel in that I like to know I'm in the next gear. I'm not speed shifting, just cruising, and it is fine to know it has indeed made the transition. imho:D

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
For the Aussies out there I got my notice just before Christmas after hounding Kawasaki Australia directly. I threatened to go to the media when they wouldn't speak to me. Kept trying to pushing me to the dealer unless I spoke to a real person not just via email that would have ended up at the dealer anyway. Next thing I was speaking to a very annoying manager who denied that Kawasaki Australia tries to hide from it's customers. (funny that)

Anyway I got my ne ECU the day the rains came and it's been flooding ever since so all I have been able to do is ride around town at about 50 kph (30 mph) seems ok so far. Slips into first very quietly sometimes don't know why then bangs into first the next, seems smoother somehow like the timing is different less vibration, noise from pipes is more even So far so good. The only other thing I have noticed at slow speeds once it gets hot it takes a bit longer to cool down at 'town speeds'

·
Registered
28 Posts
Damn....Bad reflashed ecu showing codes now Dealer said all new ecu's are back ordered but gen 2 reflashed are the replacement are in stock and will install when it come's in.... WTF KAWASAKI I BOUGHT A NEW BIKE I WANT NEW PART'S I'm begining to think this wasnt such a great purchace the screw ups are not getting any better i'm feeling like I've been rolled over the barrel with this bike(this is on an 09 nomad)

41 - 60 of 73 Posts