Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks to all for getting a recall on the stalling issues on the Vulcan 1700,I hope the recall is happening here in Australia, when i don't know. No recall has been issued here yet will wait and see.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks to all for getting a recall on the stalling issues on the Vulcan 1700,I hope the recall is happening here in Australia, when i don't know. No recall has been issued here yet will wait and see.
I called the dealer this morning to arrange to take it in - seems like Kawa Australia has no such recall.

The dealer hadn't heard anything about it. :confused:
Hopefully it's just an admin thing and it will filter down to the other countries shortly - I've been waiting for a solution to this problem from day one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I called the dealer this morning to arrange to take it in - seems like Kawa Australia has no such recall.

The dealer hadn't heard anything about it. :confused:
Hopefully it's just an admin thing and it will filter down to the other countries shortly - I've been waiting for a solution to this problem from day one.
called my dealer this morning, he call the tech department at kawasaki canada they said there was a recall for U.S.A and the recall would be in canada in about two weeks, so as soon as he gets the recall he will order the parts for the ecu my bike is in the recall voyager 2009 bought in may 2009,thanks guy's for the heads up keep the info coming save's a lot of work calling the dealer's, and when you call them they never here of the recalls or any other problem for that matter!

·
Registered
127 Posts
2009-2010 recall...

Just got my Recall notification in the mail...It's for 2009/2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager, Voyager ABS, Nomad, Nomad 2T, Classic, Classic LT.....It says the recall is because some models may stall under deceleration due to improper setting of the electronic control unit, which could create the potential for a crash, resulting in injury or death....The notice came today...I tested mine and it does stall at any speed if I pull in the clutch..It will drop RPM's far below the norm and then stall out.....they have the VIN's as:
vn1700a9f/fal, vn1700aaf/fl, vn1700b9fa/fal, vn1700baf/fl, vn1700c9f/fa/fal/fl, vn1700caf/fl, vn1700e9f/fa/fal/fl, vn1700eaf/fl, vn1700g9f/fl, vn1700gaf/fl.....
I will call my dealership tomorrow to see when I can bring it in.....All in all, I love my Voyager and I hope we Vulcan owners do not have issues at the dealerships...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Wanna' stoke the fire a little higher ? Since the recall notice says "Do not ride your motorcycle until the repair has been completed" call Kawasaki and ask them if they are making arrangements for transportation or if the dealer is doing so.

Since I've had nothing but bad dealings with Kawasaki I'm tempted to have them pay to have the bike transported.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just called my dealer and said I hear there is a recall on ECUs for the Voyager. Mine doesn't stall, but it will race and hold the tach at about 1500-2000 at my first or second stop sign or light. It does come down after about 5 seconds or so, but no stalling. Mine is 2009, and I understand that they are recalling those too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Recall of Voyagers

Got my notice today. Had not planned to take the Voyager to dealer to replace ECU because after 20,000 miles I've had no problems; however, the recall letter states, "Do Not Ride Your Motorcycle Until The Repair Has Been Completed." Called the dealer, he is going to order parts and call me when they arrive. Hope the new ECU doesn't mess my bike up :)
T-Rex

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
the recall notice says "Do not ride your motorcycle until the repair has been completed" .
You do know that is just "lawyer speak" because now that the notice is out you will have a harder time sueing them if you wreck the bike.

·
Registered
127 Posts
ECU recall...........

Just called my Kawi dealership in Katy Texas....They know of the recall...They took my name and the VIN on my Kawi and ordered the ECU...Said they call me when it comes in and will take 20-30 minutes to replace.....I'm gonna continue to ride it to work, 100 miles round trip..It runs good but will stall if I pull in the clutch to early at high speeds or doing a quick when down shifting, I just watch the RPM's to keep it from stalling..

·
Registered
35 Posts
I made my appointment today from info. on the web site. my dealer said they hadn't heard anything about it yet (no surprise). Anyway, I'm looking forward to having the ECU replaced. My voyager stalls alot. It looks like the change they made to the 2011's must be working.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got my notice today. Had not planned to take the Voyager to dealer to replace ECU because after 20,000 miles I've had no problems; however, the recall letter states, "Do Not Ride Your Motorcycle Until The Repair Has Been Completed." Called the dealer, he is going to order parts and call me when they arrive. Hope the new ECU doesn't mess my bike up :)
T-Rex
Ha! That's what I was thinking about my '09. I only have 1800 miles on mine but it's breaking-in nicely, belt whine going away, never stalled... only problem was the Kawasaki tach I bought for it that crapped out after 200 miles. ...then the stripped threads for the handlebars... no matter. I just like the way it is now and shudder at the thought of screwing with it!

·
Registered
75 Posts
OK Guys,

Just talked to my dealer, and the replacement ECU part numbers are:
999990321, and 999990323. He was not sure of the difference, but stated that it must be by either model or VIN, because both parts were for 2009s and 2010s. I asked about the LT vs Nomad/Voyager, but he didn't know.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Got my notice two days, and when I got it I thought to myself hmmmm maybe those times I stalled it wasnt myself at fault. Based on the description this has definitly has happened to me, but i was always pulling in the clutch and coming to a stop so I thought I stalled the bike out. I am at just under 10k miles, and this has only happened a handfull of times

·
Registered
6 Posts
We went to the Dealer today, and when we have a "decent" day, Hubby will ride the bike over for ECU. I have 100 miles on the Bike, and I started to have issues with the low, slow speed turns - and I was sure I was the one stalling it. It happend a few times, and I laid it down in the sub-division when the engine stalled. At that point, and with the extra hot Atlanta summer I've let the bike sit in the garage.. and now we have a recall.. so.... with the ECU fix I'll get out again and I'm Sure it will be much better. Got the bike in June, and within a month I even took the Nomad Bags off because I was worried that I'd stall and drop it. Hubby rides a V2K and he's anxious for me to get back on my Bike again and get out on the road... :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I'll be riding out to my dealer tomorrow morning for the ecu swap. Let's see how the bike likes 40F weather....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Stalling

I hope Kawasaki Australia act quick on the 2009/2010 Vulcan 1700 stalling problems as mine has stalled several times at intersections and roundabouts where a injury or accident can happen to rider or bike.I have sent a Product Safety Recall notice to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission regarding this matter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys,

It seems that all the European 1700's are being recalled!

Mine ( a classic -see my avatar image-) got her new ECU installed last Friday! Even though she hadn't been giving any problem at all. Tested today for some 60 miles and it seems to run perfectly well ( ;) as it always happens in these cases, I was fearing things to behave worse after an unwanted fix -but almost mandatory from Kawasaki- on my bike), even outdoing prior recovery efforts when throttling up from low revs.

Kawasaki has been slow in finding a new programming configuration on the ECU but at last it seems to work. Good luck to everybody having problems with previous non-bluedotted ECU's.

Good ride, guys.

Alberte

Vigo, Galiza

========================================

Spanish Recall

·
Registered
123 Posts
My 09 just does it in the morning at the first stop sign I come to. I let it warm 10 to 15 min's but it didn't matter. Called my KW dealer and of coarse, he'll order part and call me, that was a week ago. Getting a little tired of KW failure to supply it's dealers when it knew that they had a recall. Typical.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
My 09 just does it in the morning at the first stop sign I come to. I let it warm 10 to 15 min's but it didn't matter. Called my KW dealer and of coarse, he'll order part and call me, that was a week ago. Getting a little tired of KW failure to supply it's dealers when it knew that they had a recall. Typical.
Actually, many of us are getting parts that were only intended for "new" unsold bikes. Then our ECUs are getting sent back to be reprogrammed and sent back out to be installed in "sold" bikes. I called my dealer on Monday and had my new part in on Thursday. Might be your dealer instead of Kawasaki because the dealer has to pay for the part and then will get reimbursed by Kawasaki. They are handling the paperwork just like any warranty item. This way the dealer makes a little on the part and the .3 hours of labor.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts