Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things first, I don't want to start another controversy. I am just curious about how many VV riders are using Kawasaki's gel seat, and if they are any better than the stock seat? Tha seat looks as if it is very comfortable and has a reasonable price. I have heard that these seats are actually made by Mustang for Kawasaki???

·
Registered
248 Posts
First things first, I don't want to start another controversy. I am just curious about how many VV riders are using Kawasaki's gel seat, and if they are any better than the stock seat? Tha seat looks as if it is very comfortable and has a reasonable price. I have heard that these seats are actually made by Mustang for Kawasaki???
I bought the GelSeat and doubt it's made by anyone other than Kawasaki as it is not hard like Mustangs and it looks just like the stock saddle, however it has a different feel and sets you up a full inch higher. I found it to be comfortable but I also think the stock seat is very comfortable. Since the Gel put me on my toes with a 30" inseam, I don't ride with it.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I ended up hating the stock seat in just a few thousand miles, my butt would hurt. I got Kawi's gel seat and it eventually caused butt pain too, tho not as bad as the stock seat did.
The gel seat is for sale!!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
54 Posts
I also bought the gel seat and found that it sits you up higher, so I'm not using mine. I've ridden many hours on my stock and find it be very comfortable as far as motorcycle seats go.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I suspect that the GEL pad was just added into the seat. What you need done is to have the seat shaved and the gel pad incorporated in and have it all lowered so it shows a bit of cup for the butt. I had a guy in Albany, Oregon do my stock seat, but without the gel pad and It was great. It also lowered me so I could be flat footed again, as I modified my forks which raised the front some. The only problem with my shaved seat was in the summer time, the heat build up from engine went under seat and the thinner padding caused me discomfort. So, I went with a mustang seat. I have been considering taking my stock seat back, having it shaved some more and fitting of a full gel pad. Then, baffling the passage under seat to prevent the heat getting there. The mustang is a stiff seat, and takes a very long time (years) to soften and conform. But, the stock seat did fit better after the shaving job.
http://www.mredsmoto.com/index.htm
This guy was great to deal with and did a free touch up after initial shave job. He has been in the upholstery busyness for quit a while and he's good at it !

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have the heated gel seat and love it even without the heat on - far more comfy than the stocker . . . Ask me again in two weeks after my thousand miler . . .

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I got the pillowtop 4 inch taller backrest, removed those vibration dampners and took off those foam pads on the bottom of the trunk, the wife likes it better that the stock and now it is 2 inches farther back.

I also got the pillow top (gel) seats. Hard as a rock, but amazingly enough it was very comfortable to me as it raised me 2 inches so my knees were finally below my hips. I can see OVER the windshield now. (I am 6-3) rode it 1500 miles last weekend and my butt was happy. It also lower my already lowered modified Grasshopper backrest another 2 inches and that was better also. I like my backrest a low as you can get it.

I may not have to raise the back 2 inches now ..... :D

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I didn't want to wear out my heated seats in the summer so I put the stock back on. A 400 mile ride and the pain was unbearable. Got the Gel seat and it does put you up higher but is more comfortable. Still not perfect but great for the $. I may send the stock seat to Russel Day Long and see how that goes for next summers ride to the AVA rally in Kanab, UT.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
twowheeladdict.......

I have been thinking about the same thing with my stock seat I just had replaced under warranty. I too would like to try Day Long. After talking to them I have been thinking about riding over and doing it in person. They are almost in the neighborhood too, only about 105 miles farther than I went this weekend. Same direction, we were almost at Redding, they are just north of there.

The wife and I are seriously thinking about Kanab. Almost in the neighborhood, however there is another National thing we go to about the same time every year. Doubt if she can get time off for both.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
twowheeladdict.......

I have been thinking about the same thing with my stock seat I just had replaced under warranty. I too would like to try Day Long. After talking to them I have been thinking about riding over and doing it in person. They are almost in the neighborhood too, only about 105 miles farther than I went this weekend. Same direction, we were almost at Redding, they are just north of there.

The wife and I are seriously thinking about Kanab. Almost in the neighborhood, however there is another National thing we go to about the same time every year. Doubt if she can get time off for both.
I sure hope you do get that seat so I can see what one will look like before I drop my $ on one since I can't likely ride in to get it done.

·
Registered
320 Posts
So who has a Mustang seat for the Voyager? Does it sit you higher also ?I got a mustang seat with back rest for my Yamaha Raider and it definently raised me up an inch or so and a bit forward.I did not find it hard at all and i can ride all day on it with no issues,but I would say a back rest helps that a lot.I have had a Corbin before and They are hard .So does anybody have pics with a mustang seat on there Vulcan.?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
just a quick question, are the gel seats better/same/worse than airhawk seats?
I have been thinking of getting something, just not sure what.

thanks

sean

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
just a quick question, are the gel seats better/same/worse than airhawk seats?
I have been thinking of getting something, just not sure what.

thanks sean
I think seats are like shoes and gloves, it's a matter of preference on how they feel to each individual. So something I like might not be liked by someone else. But I have them both here's what I think of them. The air Hawk pad works fine but it just moved around too much for local raiding. I did use it for one long trip and will use it again one day. As far as a gel seat, I have not used it on a long trip and not sure I will because it raises me up too far. It is stiffer than the stock one. So, hope this helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you have a minute, could you explain how you did this? I would like to try it also.
Thanks

I got the pillowtop 4 inch taller backrest, removed those vibration dampners and took off those foam pads on the bottom of the trunk, the wife likes it better that the stock and now it is 2 inches farther back.

I also got the pillow top (gel) seats. Hard as a rock, but amazingly enough it was very comfortable to me as it raised me 2 inches so my knees were finally below my hips. I can see OVER the windshield now. (I am 6-3) rode it 1500 miles last weekend and my butt was happy. It also lower my already lowered modified Grasshopper backrest another 2 inches and that was better also. I like my backrest a low as you can get it.

I may not have to raise the back 2 inches now ..... :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think seats are like shoes and gloves, it's a matter of preference on how they feel to each individual. So something I like might not be liked by someone else. But I have them both here's what I think of them. The air Hawk pad works fine but it just moved around too much for local raiding. I did use it for one long trip and will use it again one day. As far as a gel seat, I have not used it on a long trip and not sure I will because it raises me up too far. It is stiffer than the stock one. So, hope this helps.
I think Sheek is right. If I could get a good look at you butt structure and feel it a bit I might be able to suggest a suitable suitor for your bottom. In all seriousness, I did here that Airhawks (the new ones) were the best for longer hauls. Taking this advice seriously may influence your decision so ongoing discussions of your buttox may not be needed.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a Kawasaki Gel. It has worked well for me over the stock seat for long distance riding. I am only 180 lbs to give you an idea of weight. Better than stock, but not as nice as the Mustang I tried. I am not changing the Gel seat for anything though because it works, and it is less expensive. It also, fit my need for the type of passenger backrest and rear rack I use on a Classic.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I couldn't get and hour out of the stockers before the beginnings of monkey butt, so I bought the rider and passenger kawasaki gels. I found them great until I did a solid 8 hour ride on back roads.

Now the gel seems to have collapsed it is not much better then the stocker. The raised back part feels good but the spot where that gets into contact the most with mys but is now soft.

I can't return them as I bought them in the states and I'm from Australia. So now I use the gel and an air hawk medium cruiser and I can now ride all day. I'm so I guess it will depend on you length of ride and weight as to their worth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts