Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated in previous posts, I have been looking for a replacement to the stock "seat from hell". Many of you have weighed in with your own experiences on this subject, thank you for that. Well here it is, the cheap option: $200 at my local Kawasaki dealer, the K53001-190 gel seat (also available in studded or flame stitched).

Before photos:
20140707_160812.jpg

20140707_160803.jpg

After photos:
20140707_164245.jpg

20140707_164257.jpg

Comparison photo:
20140707_160948.jpg

Just sitting on the bike is a night and day difference. It's supposed to rain for the next 3 days, so the extended road test is yet to come, but I will keep you informed.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Definitely looks like it will be better than the stock seat...I like the thickness and back support but its hard to tell if the angle is changed enough to take the pressure off your upper a$$ cheeks...thats what killed me. Can't wait for a full report but I know I won't be trading in my Mustang Wide Touring any time soon. Thanks for the info on this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Kawasaki Gel Seat

As stated in previous posts, I have been looking for a replacement to the stock "seat from hell". Many of you have weighed in with your own experiences on this subject, thank you for that. Well here it is, the cheap option: $200 at my local Kawasaki dealer, the K53001-190 gel seat (also available in studded or flame stitched).

Before photos:
View attachment 80994

View attachment 81002

After photos:
View attachment 81018

View attachment 81026

Comparison photo:
View attachment 81034

Just sitting on the bike is a night and day difference. It's supposed to rain for the next 3 days, so the extended road test is yet to come, but I will keep you informed.
Going on my 5th season with mine and love it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely looks like it will be better than the stock seat...I like the thickness and back support but its hard to tell if the angle is changed enough to take the pressure off your upper a$$ cheeks...thats what killed me. Can't wait for a full report but I know I won't be trading in my Mustang Wide Touring any time soon. Thanks for the info on this.
A couple short rides on the new seat. The lower back support is amazing. The seat is very firm, hopefully it breaks in a little, but comfortable as is. The seating position is slightly further forward than stock. Also, I haven't noticed the gel creating any "hot seat" issues.

The wife gives the passenger pad a big thumbs up. Huge improvement over the stock seat.

I wouldn't suggest anyone dump their aftermarket seat for this one, but anyone looking for a cheap replacement for the stock seat...

Will update again after a long distance ride.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I thought the Kawi gel seat was comfortable and my wife thought it was light years better than the stock seat.

But.... That thing cooked my tail end in hot sunny weather. Gel will absorb and retain heat.
An hour in the TX sun and it would fry my eggs.:(

Scott

·
Registered
370 Posts
debating on this vs the saddlemen seat tho I dont have much issue with the stock seat

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been debating on this seat as well. A lot of people are liking it. It may not be the best option, but for the price point its up there!

I did 7 hours of riding on the OEM seat... Didn't feel my tail bone for the rest of the day. This can't be any worse then that!

I'm a little concerned about on being moved forward though. I'm 6' tall, about 200 lbs. With the factory seat I already feel like I should be back farther. I don't know how I feel about going g ahead even more.

ABSU let's hear your feed back! Also if you wouldn't mind, how tall are you, just so we can get an idea.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm interested in seeing reviews on this as well. I have an Airhawk currently, but would like a new seat still, just don't want to spend $300+.

Has anyone compared these seats to an Airhawk on the stock seat?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
debating on this vs the saddlemen seat tho I dont have much issue with the stock seat
I've been debating on this seat as well. A lot of people are liking it. It may not be the best option, but for the price point its up there!

I did 7 hours of riding on the OEM seat... Didn't feel my tail bone for the rest of the day. This can't be any worse then that!

I'm a little concerned about on being moved forward though. I'm 6' tall, about 200 lbs. With the factory seat I already feel like I should be back farther. I don't know how I feel about going g ahead even more.

ABSU let's hear your feed back! Also if you wouldn't mind, how tall are you, just so we can get an idea.
Made a 2 hour roundtrip yesterday. The bottom of the seat is FIRM, but flat. With the back support I find that there is no pressure on my tailbone. The backrest of the seat is not completely vertical, it allows to ride slouched comfortably. During my return trip, the seat started to form to my shape, and became even more comfortable. Currently, I am convinced I made a good purchase.

I am 5'10'', 255lbs.

And I still have not experienced a "hot seat" issue from the gel.

I am still looking to confirm the rumor that this seat was made by Saddleman for Kawasaki. There are no markings on the seat that say Saddleman.

Hope this helps. I will continue to update as time progresses.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
An hour in the TX sun and it would fry my eggs
poached or scrambled .... LOL. here in Simcoe ON., my saddleman renegade does the same thing .... saves on birth control .

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm in the market for a new seat too but I don't want a collection of them so I'll be watching this thread as well to see how it plays out. After my first half hour ride on the 900 my back was sore and made me feel my age. I'm 6'2" 240 and I initially thought I needed to adjust the handlebars up a little. After a couple more short jaunts my riding posture feels ok but I still need a little lower back support and the stock seat just doesn't have it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I changed out the original seat with the saddleman solo. Researched a lot of different brands. The reviews from other owners helped, and also the look from this seat. It's a little narrower than stock, but it works. The comfort or softness overrides any issues of not being wider. I've rode 200+ miles in a day with no pains to report. I wasn't looking to spend too much, like 350+ on a seat, when the saddleman was approx. 180. Rolled the dice and it was a win for me. Of course, each person has their own style and fit that they're looking for.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
but I still need a little lower back support and the stock seat just doesn't have it.
I don't know if you have a classic or a custom .... on my classic I run a mustang classic 2 up seat ... this bike is primarily used for longer runs and trips .... I'm talking 6000 miles over 2 weeks ... it has a nice deep "well" offering the rider around 8 to 9 inches of back support, break it in the first 500 miles and I would not tour with anything else. The passenger portion is wider than the stocker and slightly raised at the front ... this eliminates some of the sliding forward motion over the stock seat. see pic.

my custom is more of a day rider, it has a saddleman renegade solo, its a gel seat , offers reasonable support .. but it is a day seat. I'm 5 11 and 180lbs.
The well on this seat is as not as deep, there is no pillion option . 2 up saddlemans are available. See pic.

Seats are like helmets ... nobody will let you try one out for a couple of days. Postures are different and what suits ones butt, may not suit some one else.

For my moneys worth, over all, the mustang does it for me ... short rides or long ... it has the comfort that I want.... and I can back that up with back to back to back to back 600 mile days. The saddleman ... well its a day seat for me, but a couple of hundred mile plus days have been covered with no issues.

Good luck on what ever you decide.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone know what the real difference is between the "Plain" gel seats and the "Comfort" gel seats?

K53001-190 Gel, Plain
K53001-191 Gel, Studded
K53001-192 Gel, Flame
K53001-193 Gel, Plain
K53001-194 Gel, Comfort Plain
K53001-195 Gel, Flame
K53001-196 Gel, Comfort Flame

·
Registered
70 Posts
whiting57,
Thanks for the info. The Mustang is on my short list but I really hate to buy a seat sight unseen. There are a couple of places not too far from me that generally have a multitude of bikes around, one being Iron Pony. I believe they also carry the Mustang seat but I'm hoping someone will have one of the seats I'm looking at and be gracious enough to let me sit on their bike. I know it's almost sacrilegious but it's worth a shot. I've also contemplated adding a back rest from Utopia. It's a DIY add-on but I'm not sure it will leave enough room for my wife, if and when she decides she wants to ride along. The hunt continues.

Those are two good looking bikes you've got there!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
where in Ohio are you .... I run thru there weekly, 75 to 475 to the 24 to Indiana, I could bring my mustang seat down for a week on my way to LA.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Anyone know what the real difference is between the "Plain" gel seats and the "Comfort" gel seats?

K53001-190 Gel, Plain .... no design on it
K53001-191 Gel, Studded....me sitting on it
K53001-192 Gel, Flamer ....a gay dude on it
K53001-193 Gel, Plain
K53001-194 Gel, Comfort Plain... no idea ... maybe a thicker gel pad?
K53001-195 Gel, Flame
K53001-196 Gel, Comfort Flame
sounds like, other than a design embossed on it...... if ya can not dazzle em with brilliance, try and baffle em with bull.

·
Registered
70 Posts
where in Ohio are you .... I run thru there weekly, 75 to 475 to the 24 to Indiana, I could bring my mustang seat down for a week on my way to LA.
Wow! I really appreciate the offer but trying to find me would take you at least another 4hrs East "if" you don't run into any traffic. Then another 4hrs back to get you back on course. I live in a small village called Warsaw that's not close to anyone or anything but I love the country. The roads are hilly and winding and the critters (wildlife) think they still own the road that's been run through their home. As it is I leave my house at 5AM for an hour ride to work up North and I'm lucky to be home at 6PM. I live in the largest school district in the state (area wise) and we only have around 800 people :eek:
To make matters worse, UPS still insists my home address doesn't exist and in over 20yrs I haven't been able to convince them otherwise.

So again, thank you so much for the offer but I think it would be way too much of an inconvenience to go that far out of your way.

·
Registered
370 Posts
So you come thru my neck of the woods lol:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts