Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Kawasaki's website

"Kawasaki.com" said:
All V-twins present engine heat challenges, especially full-dress models with leg shields, since the rear cylinder and exhaust pipe are almost directly under the rider. Kawasaki is the first manufacturer to provide, as standard equipment, an effectively designed air management system to help increase rider comfort at a stop.

The primary part of the Kawasaki Air Management System (KAMS) routes radiator heat to the ground, below the engine, while the secondary part of the system draws heat away from the rear cylinder and exhaust pipe and directs it to the ground on the left side of the motorcycle. This system is particularly effective in warm weather while stopped in traffic or for extended periods of low-speed operation, such as during staging for group rides or parades.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had not seen this information yet but I was looking at the 2012's and they come with this. I wonder if there will be a kit to help out the 09's thru 11's? I would love that! I know even this October my wife was still warm on the back but said it was nice when we rode later in the evenings.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They need to make it a Tech Service Bulitin so we can get the fix on their dime. It is their poor design that fries my a$$ to medium well.
I agree that it would be nice for them to add the feature to our bikes, but I see it as an innovation rather than compensating for poor design. Their design was no different than any of the other V-twins that are out there, but they listened to the complaints and came up with a novel solution. Kudos to Kawasaki.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
i agree 2 wheel. I would love to see a kit to update previous models.

·
Registered
497 Posts
i agree 2 wheel. I would love to see a kit to update previous models.
After they stepped up to the plate once to address the heat issue (with the Heat Shield Kit for '09s & '10s), I'd be shocked if they offered yet another solution to the older bikes at no cost. If it happens, then I'll be a Monkey's Uncle. :D I for one am relieved to see that they haven't done away with this platform yet - gives all of us a better chance for aftermarket stuff (although, I'm not holding my breath). Can't say much for that White & Beige color combination....what color blind engineer chose that combo??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, that White and Beige color was really hard on the eyes. I almost threw up in my mouth when I saw it. I would like to see it come out as a kit that can be installed on the older models. If it was on their dime, WOW, that would be fantastic but I doubt it will happen. I am still looking at the Cobra Tri Ovals to try and help cool it down in case they don't put it out as a kit to help the Voyagers cool down. I love my '10 and hope they find a way to make this new system fit my ride.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I reserve judgement on color until I see it in person in the sunlight. Let's just say I am still very happy I got the 2010 black and red over the other five colors I have seen in person, although that blue and black '09 sure looks great in the sun.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I applaud the attempts to further extract heat- but also wonder why KAW doesn't shut down the rear spark/fuel as HD does? Every little bit helps... maybe HD has a patent.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Have a look at this address Too hard too try and copy and upload photos. Kawa's 2012 heat answer seems fairly simple unless there is a fan hidden behind the rear cover. From the photo's I can't see any reason why it couldn't be retrofitted.

If it comes out in a kit please keep us informed Down here in Oz as Kawa Australia hasn't even bought the 2011 model out yet.

·
Registered
701 Posts
When I looked at the kawa site it only shows this system on the voyagers. I have asked in the past if anyone can design a shield to kick the heat from the radiator down and under the motor. The heat shield for the exhaust kinda does this on the right side. If someone can make something on the left side it would make a significant difference for the rider and the intake that gets burning hot on the left side. I would do this, but I don't do that kind of work. I'm sure there are many VV,Nomad, and Vaquero owners that would gladly pay for this.
As to the secondary system for the rear cylinder it looks like it will pump a lot of the heat on the passenger floor board. I have to see this in person.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm happy to see they are continuing the Voyager - The white doesn't look bad - Any attempts at heat reduction are good - though I haven't had significant issues with it - I'm surprised the Vaquero isn't offered with ABS and they aren't keeping a basic black for it . . . The green/black is pretty sick looking though . . . Keep em coming Kawi!

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I checked with Kawasaki Australia today and the 2012 has been released here also. They didn't bother to bring in the 2011 preferring to wait for the revamped model. It is selling here for $25999.00 + on roads. So once again Australians are being ripped of by Kawasaki as it doesn't cost $6000 to bring it into Australia from Japan on top of US retail and there are no import duties on motorcycles bought into Australia, only the 10% GST.

Apart from that they couldn't tell me whether the new Kam parts will be retrospective.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm surprised the Vaquero isn't offered with ABS...

Only in Canada eh? Finally we get something up here before everyone else does. However, it doesn't appear we get the green one.

As far as the color schemes go, the White/Beige is the worst I've ever seen on on the VV, the Black/Grey with the Red Stripe is by far the nicest I've ever seen. I really like the way they've changed the paint lines on the fairing to extend over top of the spot lamps.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
I would buy the green/black vaquero in a heartbeat.....IF they sold it here in canada....but hey at least the black is available here...ill just wait a cpl years and get a used or leftover green/black one from the states....

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

So this ugly box is what they came up with for the heat? I guess I would give it a try if works it may worth the trade off in the looks department
That's the secondary box. The primary is behind the radiator.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Has anyone seen it yet apart from photos and is it anything more than shaped deflectors/diverters?

I was wondering if there is more to it rising up under the frame over the top of the engine?

·
Registered
13 Posts
In defence of the big K

My 10 cents worth.
I suppose we should thank the kawasaki engineers for at least trying.
(Will really be happy when they replace my antenna that fell off, but that's another story as most of us have experienced).
I am no Einstein however if we examine the design of a motorcycle it is basically
an exposed engine with a wheel at each end and a highly intelligent .... human sitting on top of the engine.
It is going to probably get a little warm sitting atop of those rather large explosions happening between our legs.
Add a barn door fairing at the front of the bike into the equation and any chance of a cool breeze keeping said intelligent human comfortable is not going to happen.
I suppose it's like software, who uses version 1?
Buy it, ride it, and maybe sign up for that extended warranty, and smile because we are those intelligent humans and have discovered the .... joy

1 - 20 of 89 Posts