Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are yall using to hold the drive pulley? Book says to use a 57001-1572, but it seems that they are made out of unobtainium and I can't find one. However, there are tons of 57001-1672 "rotor holders" available on ebay and amazon. Is the 57001-1672 a will fit item that is an upgraded version of the "1572".

Other than that, besides using the brake and belt to hold the pulley (which I won't do) what are you using to hold the pulley?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well, maybe if you explained what you are trying to accomplish, we'd help you out.

Are you attempting to remove the rear axle nut? Why do you want to "hold the drive pulley"?

Gracias.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UH..... I can get the nut OFF the drive pulley (belt pulley on countershaft) with an impact, no problem. I cannot get the nut torqued ON properly without holding the drive pulley. A factory tool is available to do this but Kawasaki has not updated their tool list on the VN900 since 2009. I am believing that the "1672" series tool is an updated version of the "1572" series "pulley/rotor holder". Maybe, maybe not.

Course since I am not trying to reinvent the wheel, I realize there are scab methods out there using generic tools to accomplish the same task. Just wondering what everybody else was using to hold the drive pulley while trying to put the nut back on, like the barbaric chingaso shown below.

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well... after getting zero help on here I decided to go out on my own.
I ordered a 57001-1672 off ebay for $40.00. The 1572 & 1672 tools are over $250 from Kawasaki. I can tell you that I could not have made this tool for $40.00 with the amount of steel, machining, drilling, and tapping involved. If the tool did not work, I would have a nice tool laying around that I could put some more holes in and use it for other things. The tool has two bolt patterns. A 70mm & 75mm pattern. Moving the bolts to the 75mm pattern fits the VN900 front drive pulley nicely. So, the 57001-1672 tool works to hold the front drive pulley on a VN900!!! No muss, no fuss, no chance of cracked cases by sticking prybars through the front pulley to hold it. Bonus points to Kawasaki for making the handle for the tool wedge behind the kickstand mount so that you do not have to hold the tool at all while you are trying to tighten the front pulley nut.

I tell you why I was fiddling with the front pulley in another post.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Du-Rron!

Very glad you found the 57001-1672 working! Not sure why the tool 1572 mentioned in the book is soo expensive.

If you could answer me 2 questions, that would be helpful 🙂

- why is the impact gun only appropriate to remove the pulley engine nut but not to tighten it back on?
- does the 57001-1672 come with a wedge or had you come up with a self made one?

cheers mate!

poldi

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi Du-Rron!

Very glad you found the 57001-1672 working! Not sure why the tool 1572 mentioned in the book is soo expensive.

- why is the impact gun only appropriate to remove the pulley engine nut but not to tighten it back on?
- does the 57001-1672 come with a wedge or had you come up with a self made one?

cheers mate!

poldi
First, kudos to Du-Rron for finding and sharing that the 57001-1672 will work properly.

I can answer the first question for you as I have been in the auto repair business for over 40 years. To remove a nut, you do not need torque readings. But to install said nut, it has to be tighten to the proper torque as set by the manufacturer. Too loose and it might come apart and the pulley would start to wear on the shaft (not desirable). Too tight and it will distort the threads, might snap, or may destroy whatever is behind the nut (also not desirable). You will find most 1/2" impact guns exceed the 94 ft·lb of torque required to tighten the pulley nut.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Ricksza! Yes, makes sense. Saw there are adjustable impact guns but it might be difficult to hit the exact 127 Nm. Not sure what impact guns they have at the local DIY workplace here.
Think to order that 57001-1672. So far I have the rear pulley installed and feel already an improvement, rpm wise. Only a tiny squeak squeak squeak sound is there coming from belt at rear pulley. I will check tomorrow if the belt is too tight or too loose.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi Du-Rron!

cheers mate!

poldi
It comes with a black handle that is bolted on as shown in pic 2 above. The question about impacts is shown above by Ricksza.

·
Registered
243 Posts
.......... Only a tiny squeak squeak squeak sound is there coming from belt at rear pulley. I will check tomorrow if the belt is too tight or too loose.
The factory specs are too tight, will cause the squeak and may even cause damage if ignored.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes! Got rid of the squeak squeak by changing the axle alignment a bit. Pushed the belt a bit so it runs now on right side instead of left side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts