Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am conflicted on the oil change interval for a new VN 900 Custom. The manual says that the first one at 600 miles. I did that already.

Now, the manual says the next service is one of the following whichever comes first
a) One year
b) 7500 miles.

I cant believe the interval is 7500 miles for the second oil change. I mean i have barely broken in and am sure there are still metal shavings floating in the oil.

So what would be a good interval after the first oil change?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
That's what the manual says, yup yup! I, for one, don't trust any oil and/or filter much past 3000 miles. It's so easy to change the oil on these beasts, too, so doesn't bother me in the least. :)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Manual says 7500 but I usually change around 4000. It's cheap enough and fresh oil never hurt anything. I tend to change the gas every week at least once too. Fresh gas never hurt nothing either.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no problems changing the oil. I just wanted to know if all of you waited till 7500 or changed it sooner than that.

I will do mine at 3000 miles and keep that as a interval.

Thanks. Just wanted to double check. Never had a vehicle that had such a long interval. So i was a little confused.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Keep changing

I got my Custom in August of '08, 600 mile service in September and changed the oil and filter in December when I put the bike away for a few months in the winter. Started riding again in April '09, and in July it was up for yearly state inspection - and I gave it an oil change and again in December just as the previous year. And it is on the same schedule this year ‘10, total miles on the bike - about 3000. I only have a 10 mile commute so even with weekend rides I don't put that many miles on it (don't use it for commuting if rain is in the forecast either - call me a fair weather biker). And I use Amsoil or Royal Purple synthetic, not cheap stuff either. Why do I change it so much? First, if you only ride a little bit, changing at least once a year flushes any contaminants out of your crankcase. Second, changing before it's stored for the winter eliminates any moisture in the crank, fresh clean oil bathing the mechanicals before it gets cold outside is a good thing, and the bike is "stored" in the garage. I had boats longer than I had motorcycles and always changed the oil at the end of the season (in addition to normal required changes) in both gas and diesel engines. Never had an oil or lubrication related failure. So although it costs me $60 or $70 for the oil and filter each time; it's a lot cheaper than rebuilding an engine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Solid advise.
The only reason I shy away from the designer oil blends is that I too like to flush the contaminants out of my engine every season - or 3K - just like in my other vehicles.
7500 miles between oil changes? Probably not really bad for the motor in a VN, most of which are only used for <50K miles, but that's just not how I roll.
I've put lunar mileage on several cages, and have never had lube/wear problems using the "3K" strategy. May not be the best but it works for me...:cool:

·
Registered
109 Posts
3k and regular oil is a good thing. "Designer" synthetics are more expensive and many people question their value. I worked in engineering for a company that built equipment that analyzed oil and pastic materials. We spent quite a bit of time messsing with fresh regular and synthetic oil as well as used oils. At the time I had a BMW 740 which was on their 50k new vehicle maintenance program. BMW used Mobil 1 and I took samples at 5k intervals. They changed the oil at 15k intervals!. The big thing with synthetics was ash content compared to regular oils, there wasn't any. Even after 15k on synthetic there was less ash in it than regular at 3k. And the viscosity was the same at 15k (even at temperature) as it was fresh.

So since I don't put all that many miles on it, I tend to change the oil an awful lot more than recommended. Sometimes sitting can be worse for wear than an engine that is regularly run.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Regarding synthetic oil, i only have 1000 miles now. So shouldn't i wait before i hit around 5k miles so the engine is broken in?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I went synthetic after the first 600 miles. I don't think it's a big deal anymore because synthetics come in a multitude of viscosities whereas early on you could only get them in 5W30. Now you have your choice of 10W30, 10W40, 10W50 & 20W50, which are weights normally recommended depending on your seasonal temperatures. Pretty much after 600 miles the engine is broken in, otherwise they would require another oil change before the 7500 mark.

·
Registered
166 Posts
just go for a change (oil AND filter) every 4000 miles- I do mine around every 3100 miles (5000 km - but that's under the Australian condition ) - > you can't go wrong with that interval IMO ...
Don't forget to check and clean the oil screen !!

Cheers

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've been using Mobil Racing 4T with K&N 303 filter on my Custom ever since I dumped the break-in oil and it runs like a top, quieter, shifts great. Change oil & filter every 5000 miles, well worth the expense.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, I can't believe you guys change the oil that often :eek: . Yes it's not that expensive, but it sure isn't that great for the environment and if you don't care about that, then at least consider the fact that you are making the oil companies even richer then the need to be :mad: .

I purchase high quality synthetic oil for all my vehicles (AMSOIL, no affiliation) and they run like a charm. Yes it's a little more expensive then normal dino juice, but well worth the extra protection (long or short change interval) and environmentally friendly, since I can safely extend the drain interval to once a year, before I put the bike in storage.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, I can't believe you guys change the oil that often :eek: . Yes it's not that expensive, but it sure isn't that great for the environment and if you don't care about that, then at least consider the fact that you are making the oil companies even richer then the need to be :mad: .

I purchase high quality synthetic oil for all my vehicles (AMSOIL, no affiliation) and they run like a charm. Yes it's a little more expensive then normal dino juice, but well worth the extra protection (long or short change interval) and environmentally friendly, since I can safely extend the drain interval to once a year, before I put the bike in storage.

Cheers

Chris
Chris i am with you on the enviro impact. I have never thrown or dumped old oil in the garbage or the backyard. I always take it back meticulously to the store for recycle. I heard they use it for heating.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts