Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that I couldn't replace my oem filter with a K&N filter unless i buy an air kit.
I was also told from the dealer that I would have to install a power commander. Can anyone shed some light on the matter??
I already purchased the filter and it didn't say anything about adding things.
Any information would be helpful.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
If you don't change the muffler/exhaust, you don't have to add a power commander. I've been running the K&N in my 900 for about 12000 mile, with a stage one baffle removal on the standard pipes, and not had any issues....

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Changing to aftermarket exhaust pipes is going to cause free flowing exhaust and scavenge fuel out the cylinder, causing a leaner condition in the cylinders and will need more fuel mixture on the next intake to compensate, the stock pipes have a lot of back-pressure to them and create a richer and hotter condition in the cylinders thus the next intake can use less fuel, the power commander is needed to add more fuel when going aftermarket pipes, by putting on a free flowing K&N air filter only is not going to matter in my opinion as long as you keep the stock airbox and stock pipes.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I was told that I couldn't replace my oem filter with a K&N filter unless i buy an air kit.
I was also told from the dealer that I would have to install a power commander. Can anyone shed some light on the matter??
I already purchased the filter and it didn't say anything about adding things.
Any information would be helpful.
Thanks.
No need to buy a fuel processor from changing to a K&N, and no you do not need to buy an air kit to do so. The guy is just trying to get you to spend more money. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Agree, they are wanting to sell you more stuff. I have a full de-baffle (stock exhaust) and a K&N on the stock air box, and the bike is running great.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I changed my stock pipes and installed some Cobra longs and went to a K&N filter in a stock air box with a Kuryakyn cover without a processor, but later down the road I added a Cobra FI2000R fuel processor because I was getting more popping than I cared for. The processor was a pain in the ass to get it set right, so I opened up the fake vents on the Kuryakyn cover to create more air flow and than it was alot easier to set up the processor and my bike runs alot smoother. I wish I would have spent the extra $ and bought a PC.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
if you opened up the fake vents in that cover then you are in effect running without a filter....hope you have not run it this way for long.....if you did i can see a excessive oil thread soon..

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
right side.....left side (where the second airbox is on a 1500) is where the coils are

·
Registered
851 Posts
if you opened up the fake vents in that cover then you are in effect running without a filter....hope you have not run it this way for long.....if you did i can see a excessive oil thread soon..
I opened the 6 fake slotted vents on the front side of the kuryakyn cover to create more air flow to my K&N air filter that is still in there. I backed up the slots inside the box with a screen so bugs wouldn't be a problem either. I call this my poor mans air breather, but sometime down the road I would like to add a hypercharger. So after 14k of running like this and no problems, I don't think your gonna see that excessive oil thread anytime soon. I'm sorry if I wasn't completely clear on the details, but I hope this clears it up for you!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I opened the 6 fake slotted vents on the front side of the kuryakyn cover to create more air flow to my K&N air filter that is still in there.
I would strongly advise against this, since your intake feeds from the BACK SIDE of the air cleaner box. Putting holes in the cover, Kuryakyn or otherwise, allows unfiltered air to enter the throttle bodies and the engine. Profoundly bad idea.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I opened the 6 fake slotted vents on the front side of the kuryakyn cover to create more air flow to my K&N air filter that is still in there. I backed up the slots inside the box with a screen so bugs wouldn't be a problem either. I call this my poor mans air breather, but sometime down the road I would like to add a hypercharger. So after 14k of running like this and no problems, I don't think your gonna see that excessive oil thread anytime soon. I'm sorry if I wasn't completely clear on the details, but I hope this clears it up for you!
Diehard, you are still running unfiltered air to the cylinders. I would be concerned with dust getting in and possibly damaging the cylinder walls. Is the screen you placed behind the slots some type of filter? :thinking:

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have an 07 900 with Cobra 2-1 and a Power Commander. I still have some slight popping but the Tech always says my plugs look as they should at tune up each yr. I am thinking if adding the K&N filter. Do any of you have any advice, ideas etc. at to what I might need to do or not do? Thanks....

·
Registered
847 Posts
K&n filter

I have an 07 with Cobra 2-1 pipes. I installed a Power Commander with the pipes. I still have the stock air box and was wondering what effect a K&N filter might have. I presently get a small amount of popping etc. but the tech says the plugs look good or as they should at each tune up......

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
I've got a K&N filter on my bike and as far as I'm concerned I might as well not have anything over the carb at all, because to me this filter is an open sponge. If you want to know what your bike will run like with a K&N filter, just remove the filter and cover, that simple.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Well you guys have my attention now! I assumed the air flows from the front of the K&N filter to the back side into the motor and I was trying to create more air flow, So what your saying is that I got this ass backwards and the air flows from the back side of the box thru the back side of the filter to the front side? I do really appreciate your guys input on this, so help me understand this a little more because the last thing I wanna be is setting on front step watching bike go by kicking myself in the ass. And bosco, the screen I attached inside the cover over the slots are just to keep bugs out. Thanks guys!!

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Well you guys have my attention now! I assumed the air flows from the front of the K&N filter to the back side into the motor and I was trying to create more air flow, So what your saying is that I got this ass backwards and the air flows from the back side of the box thru the back side of the filter to the front side? I do really appreciate your guys input on this, so help me understand this a little more because the last thing I wanna be is setting on front step watching bike go by kicking myself in the ass. And bosco, the screen I attached inside the cover over the slots are just to keep bugs out. Thanks guys!!
Yep. the air flows from the backside of the air box, thru the backside of the filter into the throttle bodies openings (above the air filter). When I first replaced my filter I was wondering the flow as well. We are actually pulling warm air from between the cylinders. Eventually I will replace with a BAK and one of the fuel management systems out there.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
I think the paper on my coffee filters would make a better filter than the K&N and stock filters, the coffee filter is paper thin and great for letting air thru and trapping dirt

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yep. the air flows from the backside of the air box, thru the backside of the filter into the throttle bodies openings (above the air filter). When I first replaced my filter I was wondering the flow as well. We are actually pulling warm air from between the cylinders. Eventually I will replace with a BAK and one of the fuel management systems out there.
Thank you bosco, now I know what you guys ment by unfiltered air! This works just the opposite of what I thought, I have brought this up before on what I did and no one has ever brought this to my attention. Once again thank you!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts