Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know all too well K&N does not make an air filter for our 900's. Does anyone know if the filter (KA-2004) for the 06 Vulcan 2000 fits our bikes, it looks very similar. Why K&N doesn't support the 900 is the bigger question.

·
Registered
782 Posts
There is a guy in the How To section on the main forum page that is using a K&N tapered filter and making it work using parts he fabs up and the original air box. But unless you are a decent metal fabricator with a good drill press, etc., I wouldn't try it. Just imagine the sales K&N could make if they would just make a drop in replacement.

·
Registered
86 Posts
S&S Air Filter for VN900

As you all know all too well K&N does not make an air filter for our 900's. Does anyone know if the filter (KA-2004) for the 06 Vulcan 2000 fits our bikes, it looks very similar. Why K&N doesn't support the 900 is the bigger question.
S&S has just completed there Tear-Drop filter for the VN900. You can use a K&N in this filter from S&S There is a picture on a VN900 Custom.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
S&S is only advertising the kit for the '06 - '08 models. Do any of you know if there is a difference in the '09 that would cause it not to fit?

·
Registered
941 Posts
The 2000 filter will not fit on the 900. I already thought of this when I bought my bike. I went to the dealer and had them get both out and compare. They wont work. I can't remember why exactly, but they won't. If they did, I suppose that K&N would have a filter.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm not really sure why, but K&N told me they had no plans to make one for the 900, soooooo... I took an old leftover flat K&N and carefully cut it down and installed into the filter bracket using roof sealent;). Works great!!!:D

·
Registered
397 Posts
I contacted S&S regarding the fit for the 09 models. Andy at S&S said the Tear-Drop fits the 09. Just like the one shown in this picture.
Sorry, I'm ignorant here. Who/what is S&S?

·
Registered
86 Posts
S&S Tear Drop Air Filter for VN900

Sorry, I'm ignorant here. Who/what is S&S?
S&S is a Performance V-Twin Motor Mfg. They have been around for 50 years. They are just getting started in the metric market with air-filters, cams and the other products. We have been working with them for year on our exhuast testing. Fuggin is an Exhuast Mfg for American V-twins and metric bikes. We do custom exhaust for the Honda Fury, VN900, Mean Steak, Raider and Warrior. We also have plug & play fuel controllers for our exhaust systems.

Here is a picture of the S&S tear-drop.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
There is a guy in the How To section on the main forum page that is using a K&N tapered filter and making it work using parts he fabs up and the original air box. But unless you are a decent metal fabricator with a good drill press, etc., I wouldn't try it. Just imagine the sales K&N could make if they would just make a drop in replacement.
Yesterday 05:31 AM
I'm the guy that wrote that thread, here's a link to where that started from:
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4088

This K&N filter thing keeps coming up. I was wondering if anyone here is interested in doing the modification I did but having me do it on an exchange basis? If there is anyone interested, what would be a cost that people would be willing to spend. I already know most people are turned off be the $300+ for most of the aftermarket air cleaner kits. As you may know if you read my thread the K&N I used was a little over $50 not including any other materials.
I'd like to hear what people would consider reasonable on buying a modified stock air cleaner. Obviously if someone said $75, that wouldn't be worth my time. I'm just exploring this, I'm not saying I'd do it, just checking peoples interest. The main thing I'd get out of this would be I like fabricating things and maybe I could help out someone who couldn't afford an aftermarket air cleaner and couldn't modify one themselves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts