Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to my dealer about putting a K&N air filter on my stock 2011 Nomad(I do have Racnrays throttle mod installed). Anyway he indicated that I will ruin the engine if I do this without adding a Power Commander which he will gladly sell me. I'm not really interested in a Power Commander right now. I just wanted to replace the filter.
I noticed in one of the threads below that alot of you are simply installing Racnrays throttle mod changing the filter and drilling the end plates in the mufflers. I'm not against doing any of this, I just don't want to ruin my bike by running it too lean.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I was talking to my dealer about putting a K&N air filter on my stock 2011 Nomad(I do have Racnrays throttle mod installed). Anyway he indicated that I will ruin the engine if I do this without adding a Power Commander which he will gladly sell me. I'm not really interested in a Power Commander right now. I just wanted to replace the filter.
I noticed in one of the threads below that alot of you are simply installing Racnrays throttle mod changing the filter and drilling the end plates in the mufflers. I'm not against doing any of this, I just don't want to ruin my bike by running it too lean.
If you're just talking the OEM K&N, your dealer is trying to up-sell you hoping you do not have access to forums such as this. No fuel manager is required at all with just the OEM K&N and you will definitely not ruin your engine.

In fact, several, including myself have installed Big Air Kits (Chuckster's Stock Air Cover Kit with Round K&N) without a fuel manager. The bike does not seem to be running dangerously lean and I have not seen my mileage change much at all from stock. I have no added decel popping which would also indicate a lean condition (no decel popping at all actually).

Now, if I wanted to optimise performance, I would add a fuel manager, but if you are just installing an air kit you can generally do so safely without this added expense. Now, if you are installing both a BAK and New Exhaust, then a fuel manager would be prudent and advised.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Yes what Vulcan Hammer said is right. The air still has to go through that stupid air tunnel they designed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, I suspected that the dealer was trying to do just as you have suggested and was only trying to sell me a Power Commander to fill in for the lack of business due to the tapering down of the riding season.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Air

I ran my bike 3000 miles with vance and hines slipons and a K and N filter before I put the PCV on the bike. Your dealer is high! My dealer has a veqero and runs slipons without a PCV!

·
Registered
196 Posts
These kinds of stories make me very happy that I have a dealership that does not do that crap. "Run away!" I say.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
All above is correct. In my dyno testing the addition of a K&N does not and cannot lean out the a/f ratio, period. So it's pretty impossible to ruin the engine of a 1700 due to "theoretical" leaning out of the a/f ratio.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
537 Posts
The first thing I do to my engines is a K&N filter and get rid of the tubes as much as possible. Then it might be the exaust restrictions. The name of the game is FLOW ! Even a stock engine likes to BREATH.
Everything and anything else comes after this change.
Engine Breath should not be wasted on the young or faint of heart !

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ray what did your oil analysis tell you since you have a K&N filter on your bike? After reading about Bob the Amsoil guy findings with his K&N filter just curious if yours showed the same high silica.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts