Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I am purchasing a new 12' 1700 Vulcan Classic. I have already ordered the K&N air filter. This bike has stock exhausts for now but I'm being told that even for the air filter I need to install a power commander, etc. I have always put K&N filters in bikes and trucks and never done any tunes at all. On my previous bike I put one in when I had about 1000 miles and got an immediate increase in fuel economy and performance.

Suggestions and 'expert' opinions would be appreciated. :)

Photon

·
Registered
47 Posts
I didn't need the fuel manager with just the K & N air filter on my Voyager. I did need one when I also added Cobra Tri-Ovals.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I ran K and N and slipons for 500 miles without a fuel processor it will be ok.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Just a filter change isn't so significant as to require a tuner, you should be good.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Increasing performance on the 1700 is addressing the restrictions. Putting on a K&N filter will slightly improve air flow. Installing something like Chucksters Intake System or a Thunder will improve it even more, and you should see a increase in mileage/performance. The engine however, is still restricted by the exhaust. Either changing the OEM slip-ons for less restrictive ones or drilling the baffle plates in the OEM units will open up the exhaust. Again, an increase in mileage/performance. But now an already lean-running engine will be running even more lean, resulting in the dreaded after-fire racket. A tuner will not only resolve that, but also increase performance by giving the engine the proper amount of fuel to run efficiently.

Annnddddd I'm now collecting lunch money for my tuner, so I can attest to the after-fire!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I feel better about spending the money on the K&N which I received today, picking up the bike is still tomorrow. I know I will want to get after market exhausts some time soon, but not in the budget right now. Then I know some tuning will be required I'll check out the air intake systems too. Again, thanks!

Photon

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
All new bikes suffer from asthma and constipation, meaning they need a good air kit to get more air intake and new exhaust slip-ons to let the burned fuel escape with less pressure.

Once you do these two things to your bike, you are going to need a fuel processor like the Power Commander or Cobra Processor.

This is what is called doing the Big Three to your bike. I ended up getting better overall performance on my Vaquero once I put a Thunder Tornado Air Kit, Cobra Tri-Ovals, and a PCv on the bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Greetings all,

Got the 1700 Classic last Thursday, installed the K&N air filter, rode the 12 miles round trip on to work on Friday and Saturday and... It's been raining ever since. LOL. I've been looking at the Thunder MGF breathers and saw some posts about shutting off an air intake somewhere on the bike, I think. I know on my Triumph disabling the air intake was like magic, better performance, better MGP. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Photon

·
Registered
364 Posts
Greetings all,

Got the 1700 Classic last Thursday, installed the K&N air filter, rode the 12 miles round trip on to work on Friday and Saturday and... It's been raining ever since. LOL. I've been looking at the Thunder MGF breathers and saw some posts about shutting off an air intake somewhere on the bike, I think. I know on my Triumph disabling the air intake was like magic, better performance, better MGP. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Photon
Here is the photo showing the port in the right side air box that you need to plug. It helps on some 1700s to reduce decel popping, but the effects are not as dramatic as on other Kawi engines such as the 1500 or 1600.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Here is the photo showing the port in the right side air box that you need to plug. It helps on some 1700s to reduce decel popping, but the effects are not as dramatic as on other Kawi engines such as the 1500 or 1600.
i plugged up the hole with silicone for heat. it didnt do much for the popping..im thinking of putting the original exaust back on and forget it.. bike was more fun and no worries.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for that information! I will have a look, cork it up and see what happens. :)

Photon

·
Registered
440 Posts
i plugged up the hole with silicone for heat. it didnt do much for the popping..im thinking of putting the original exaust back on and forget it.. bike was more fun and no worries.
well im not going to take the tri ovals off. i got to bite the bullet and get a fuel processer , im thinking of getting the powerpro auto tuner. amazon for 434.00 but i want to see if it works..

·
Registered
701 Posts
well im not going to take the tri ovals off. i got to bite the bullet and get a fuel processer , im thinking of getting the powerpro auto tuner. amazon for 434.00 but i want to see if it works..
The power pro works. But you will still have some decel popping at 2100 rpms. It all depends on how fast you come off the throttle.

·
Registered
440 Posts
use the clutch and brakes instead of engine for braking. no popping
i just started doing that.. getting in the habbit. it works good. i found running 87 octane takes alot of popping away

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm wondering why they put that hole there in the first place if everyone is plugging it. I'm considering going by Lowes and getting some of the well nut's people are using to give it a try but i'm a bit concerned that they apparently designed that hole to be there.

Does anyone know what the purpose of it is other than to drive up the demand for well nuts and high temp silicone?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts