Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a K and N Filter on my stock vn2000. Is it my imagination but it seems to be pinging more. Could this be happening ????

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just installed a K and N Filter on my stock vn2000. Is it my imagination but it seems to be pinging more. Could this be happening ????
Your lucky, my 09 pings with stock air filter and exhaust.
I am going to see if a power commander v helps to Stop it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update

I put the stock filter back on and it seems better again. I have a power commander pipes and a K and N filter on my 1600 and it runs great, but I think I'll leave this one alone.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Try running premium fuel. The octane is higher and should ping less if at all.
I tried running regular in my V2K and it did not like it at all. Was running mid grade which worked for the most part. Switched to premium, good ass power and no pinging.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Agreed.
My manual says use premium.
I used regular once by mistake and it pinged under light loads.
Only time I ping with premium is fully loaded going up mountains under heavy throttle. Downshifting cleared it.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Manual? You read the manual? Now you know as men we are forbidden to read any manuals except to save the world from annihilation. Just pulling your leg.

Used Regular just to see how it would react. Didn't like it. Hesitated on throttle open, pinged and just felt weak. Was using Mid grade but I decided there was only a few cents difference in the price of Mid grade and premium so I switched to the good stuff. I like it a lot better and I really think it gives me a bit better mileage also.

C

·
0 Posts
I think I will now change from mid grade to premium, but first I have a tank of mid grade to burn up. I have not noticed any pinging with mid grade. Completely stock. But like everyone else (nearly everyone else) I am looking into the new pipes, new filter and of course some kind of power commander. Hell I am happy with the power I have now, maybe the premium will be the answer I am looking for. Probably not, we are never happy with what we have, always have to change stuff. I've got the biggest V-twin in production and all I can think about is spending another 1000.00 on it to try and squeeze a little more horse power from the beast. What will be next, why not bore the pistons 2 or 3 sizes over.

·
Registered
987 Posts
pingin' and ringin'

I have V&H pipes and a Baron BAK on my 04 V2K and have not noticed any pinging at all. I tried the Fuel Pak and hated it, so I don't use any fuel management other than the overly rich stock settings on the 04s. What I did notice after getting rid of all that plastic crap bolted onto the stock air cleaner was that I could hear the valves, the injectors, and the odd little exhaust leak. Fixed the exhaust leak and don't really care about the rest now that I am used to hearing it. I run premium fuel, carry too much weight and have to replace my rear tire wayyyyy too often. :cool:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I got my baby about 2 months ago - stock exhaust. The first few tanks averaged about 33 mpg. I checked the air filter and found it is K&N, so I got the cleaning kit and cleaned it. Now it gets 38 mpg. I ride 1 up around town, mostly avoiding the freeway, and don't get over 60mph very often. I only used premium gas until I read this thread and the last tank I put in medium grade just for the hell of it, and to see if it pinged. About halfway through the tank and the mileage seems to be the same (~38 mpg). I have never had any pinging. I'll probably stick with premium just because 'someone' said the manual says so and the price difference is negligible.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Yeah, Really. Mid grade is $2.79/ gallon and premium is $2.89/ gallon. Average of about 4 gallons per fill up = about $0.40 total. Big deal, that's not even a small candy bar. I'm sticking with premium also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts