Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to let you all know, I picked up my 2014 Vaquero this morning and it is real nice. After riding a 98 Shadow 1100 for 5 years quite the difference. I had all intentions of buying a new one (all black) next Spring when I turn 60, but couldn't pass up this deal.

The story is kinda sad about this bike, briefly this guy bought it new in 2015, rode it for a year half and put 2138 miles on it. In 2016 dam cancer hit him hard and passed away last month. When I went to check the 2018 Vaquero, the Honda/Kawasaki dealer told me about this and said they don't usually sell bike for people but since the wife was crying and the circumstances they said no problem. The bike came in last Saturday, I test rode last Tuesday and bought it.

They went through bike, new battery, oil change, minor adjustments, removed the decals, and detailed it. I'll post a picture of it in my garage once it stops raining.

Only problem is the dealership is trying to get the extra key, manual, and original exhaust. It has V and H and sound nice, not to loud, bassie, and I can get used to them. My Shadow was obnoxious.

I do have 30 days to purchase the extended 3 year warranty through Kawasaki, unlimited miles for $900, should I???

So that's the story.

Dave

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JD, just checked Ivan's page out. Sounds great thank you. Once I picked it up, I had a 45 mile ride back to the beach and was in hurry yesterday, because the rain was on my tail, but we made it with 10 minutes to spare. So I will take the bike for a long ride today and now that I see what he modifies I'll make mental notes. I highly doubt the previous owner had Ivan flash the ecu, I had to slowly back off on the throttle else it felt like each time I hit the front brake hard and the intermittent pops bugged me.

This will be a definite upgrade.

Dave

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey,
Yeah the Ivan flash will take care of the backfire and a lot more. I have never once heard a single regret from anyone after having the Ivan Flash done money well spent .

My personal opinion on the extended warranty is NO specially if you are mechanically inclined do it yourselfer. Chances are greatly in your favor that you would never use the warranty and just be giving away $900 you could use on Ivan flash, intake, new seat, chrome gadgets, speakers and amplifier lowering kit if you are on your tippy toes like I was at a stop, Chucksters handle bar risers or any one of endless upgrades

Just my opinion

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I will reconsider. Excellent suggestions. Rode around 120 miles today. Couple of noticeable things while riding.

Shifting, it shifts hard into each gear. Friend told me the bike is still breaking in 2300 miles. Is this true?

Rolling off the throttle, obviously from this post ecu flash will help this. But coming from carburetors to fuel injections, there is a difference.

Directional's, a couple of times I shut them off manually, habit from my Shadow. I noticed after turning them off manually, I would have to slide the switch twice to make it work and then it wouldn't shut off after turning. I know I need the manual and hopefully I'm confusing it or am I?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Congrats on new bike. I will add to the Ivan chorus....it made my Voyager a new and better bike. Basically it fixes all the things Ivan describes on his 1700 website page.

I bought my 2016 new and with 10K miles on it now, it sure shifts better than when it just had 2000 miles on it. I noticed when I changed oil at 5000 mile mark, shifting got a lot smoother.

$900 seems way way expensive for a 3 year warranty on a bike with so few miles. I bought the extra 3 year warrenty from dealer at time of my purchase for $500.....so a 6 year warranty.

Personally I would contact Kawasaki USA directly with VIN and mileage in hand and see if they could do anything for a better warranty price.

I did use the warranty already......the radiator fan motor broke at the 2500 mile mark. Fixed under warranty. The cost of the fan motor itself and the 2 hours labor to put it in (they had to pull the gas tank and the radiator) more than paid for my 3 year extention (I think the fan itself was like $600)

Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
154 Posts
BTW you can find owner's manual and service manual online for free to download....at least I found them for the Voyager. Try googling it. All the switches were very balky and sticky out of the box on my Voyager....turn signals, volume controls, cruise etc.). Over the first winter, I gently sprayed in some electrical contact cleaner (cover gas tank!) and then they were all smooth as butter. Might see if this helps with your directionals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts