Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got it for the wife! Red 2011 Shadow Aero (Honda) leftover model from 2011.

I got it for the wife because of it's size, low seat, short reach, etc. That made it one of the most uncomfortable rides for me riding it home 50+ miles when I'm 6'2" LOL, but I was surprised how nimble and well it handled. Great brakes too!

I got to looking at this bike though, Ma Kaw needs to get on her game! This thing had a lot of stuff that 'made sense' a little better than our beloved Kawasaki's. The helmet lock was on the left side (opposite the pipes), and was mounted to the frame on the back, operated with a key, and could be used in seconds. No silly seat removal to a little metal tang. Also, the suspension is super easy to adjust (though it's dual exterior springs, you don't get the hardtail look I suppose), not a pain in the butt like the 900. Turn signal indicator and low fuel light are actually up on the triple tree, so they are easy to see, and the stock seat wasn't half bad (compared to the 900).

I still love my 9, don't get me wrong, but I couldn't help but think "Why doesn't my bike do that?" riding this thing home! haha. (I'd definitely take my 900 over the shadow any day though)

But, if anyone is reading this thinking of a bike for a smaller rider, this thing is fantastic. Bars are swept back for an easy reach, reach to the brake and clutch levers is easy, footpegs are out front but not so much a short rider will struggle. It's a very confidence-inspiring bike. I think it's going to be a great fit for the wife. She's going to do some parking lot stuff with it tonight, MSF course is scheduled for a couple of weeks from now. It's a sweet little bike! Decent power too. It's brand new so I've been keeping the rev's and throttle per the manual, but what I've been able to tell it's got some pep in it's step. I was a little worried the shaft drive was going to rob all of it's horsepower (and how much do you really get from a 750?), but it does quite well. It's a three valve configuration, kind of unique, supposed to increase low end torque AND high end Horsepower.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Sounds like a nice rig. Been looking for something similar, albeit not new, for my GF's first bike. She's somewhat vertically challenged too.

Hope it goes well with the Shadow.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a nice rig. Been looking for something similar, albeit not new, for my GF's first bike. She's somewhat vertically challenged too.

Hope it goes well with the Shadow.
Shadow's are solid bikes. Used they run around $3-$4k all day long around here.

We weren't originally planning on new either, but they've only recently had fuel injection and shaft drive (the carb wasn't a deal breaker but I'm not a fan of chain drive), and then we found a killer deal on a 2011 leftover, in fact it was only a couple hundred bucks (out the door!) more than most of the used shaft/FI ones we looked at. As a matter of fact even now with the 'off the lot' depreciation, I'm still ahead quite a bit, so I can't complain.

Feel a bit like a hypocrit though because I just said in a thread a while back I don't see a lot of value in buying new with so many barely-broken-in buyers remorse models out there on the cheap, hehe. But, this was brand new with buyers remorse pricing, so why not?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Nice review, John. Thanks for posting. I love Kawi but would not balk at a Honda any time. The quality and fit and finish of Honda is top notch. In fact I plan on getting a Gold Wing next (in about 3.5 yrs).

Some of the things you mention aren't necessarily Kawi but 900 issues (helmet lock for instance).

·
Registered
450 Posts
My wife just recently bought a 2012 Shadow Spirit and loves the thing. She tried my 900 once and didn't like it, said it was too 'fat'. She is also vertically challenged and the Shadow is a perfect fit for her. As for the power of the 750, she has no issues keeping up with me on the highway, and I find at times I have to really open my throttle to catch up with her!

Oh, you also need to post some pics, it's always better with pics! lol

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Do yourself a real favor and install a good engine guard bar like a Baron before doing the parking lot stuff. My wife has 'tested' the bar on her 800 twice, even though she has ridden a 250 scooter for the last 24 years!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Do yourself a real favor and install a good engine guard bar like a Baron before doing the parking lot stuff. My wife has 'tested' the bar on her 800 twice, even though she has ridden a 250 scooter for the last 24 years!
+1 on this!

My wife dropped her new bike twice in the driveway with no guard. We bought her one, but it's still sitting in the trailer waiting to get installed!

·
Registered
643 Posts
My wife just recently bought a 2012 Shadow Spirit and loves the thing. She tried my 900 once and didn't like it, said it was too 'fat'. She is also vertically challenged and the Shadow is a perfect fit for her. As for the power of the 750, she has no issues keeping up with me on the highway, and I find at times I have to really open my throttle to catch up with her!

Oh, you also need to post some pics, it's always better with pics! lol
True!!!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have ordered highway bars, but they aren't in yet.

Funny story, I told her before we got the bars we'd just work on clutch control a bit and keep the feet down, walking up and down. Well she did great, she's a natural! Came to park it... hopped right off with the kickstand firmly in the 'up' position. In the back of my mind I was thinking 'Knew I should've waited for the bars!'

Didn't leave a scratch on it, footpegs caught it on the sliders. She is so embarassed though, don't tell her I told y'all about it ;)

But yeah, we got lucky once, learned out lesson, and it sits parked until the bars come in! :p

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dunno that they'd do much for you at any speed... Their function is pretty much parking lot mishaps.

At any speed, even just 5mph, they'd just catch and the bike would flip. Adios.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I don't miss the 3.7 tank or the carb. It warmed up, it ran great. First time I rode it, it cut out on me. Ran out of gas and then remembered reserve, flipped switch, fired it up, took off. From then on I could flip to reserve on the fly but not fun when doing 70 on superslab with someone on your tail.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
This bad boy has a 4.2 gallon tank and fuel injection! Not sure what year that changed but that's what it's got! Plus the shaft drive instead of chain.

No reserve on an FI bike (because you really shouldn't run injectors dry, it can damage them), but it does have a fuel light.

I think that's why the 900 has such a 'conservative' fuel gauge. I don't think it's a flaw, I think it's by design. Riders got used to being able to run out, flip to reserve, then ride to a station. With an FI bike, you've got to be aware of the fuel in your tank, because when it's out it's out, and there's a chance once you refill it, you'll find yourself an injector short of where you were before! Having the low fuel light come on with tons of fuel in the tank helps 'train' riders into getting gas like they would in their car.

Edit: Did a google search, looks like 2011 is the first year for fuel injection on the shadow aero (phantom had it in 2010). Sheesh, welcome to the party Honda glad you could finally show up! LOL.

I definitely like the FI, but it's not as nice as the Vulcan. Throttle response and stuff is excellent, but start up is still a bit rough and it kinda sputters a bit on startup (no high idle or rich idle setting), with a real low intial idle. but after a few seconds it smooths out. It's akin to starting a cold engine on a hot day with no choke and an excellently tuned carb. Whereas the Vulcan fires into a high idle and smooths out. I'm wondering if it won't take a few seconds to start in the colder temps.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well alright you guys wanted 'pichures'

There she is!

400 miles on the clock now (sheesh, I put that much on in one saturday last week!) Man is it a great bike for a beginner. It's also looking like it'll be a great bike as she transitions into being an intermediate rider as well! Her dream bike is a Heritage Softail (goodbye money it was nice knowin' ya), but she is falling head over heels for this Honda.

We also put some cool cheapie LED's on it just to make it 'her own' (well, and, took off the pillion. Looks much better solo!)

I'm thoroughly impressed and pleased. She couldn't have a better bike. I've ridden it several times now, (a few with her on the back to take her to a big parking lot to practice, and once because she accidentally took my bike keys with her to work with her, don't ask me how because I still don't get it, but it was too nice a day to take the car) I think I'm done. Funny thing, what works great for someone 5', doesn't work so great for someone 6'2" LOL.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great bike!

To each their own on carburetors vs. FI, chain vs. shaft. Personally I like a carburetor over FI and although I hate the maintenance of a chain, I prefer it over shaft. I really wish Honda would have made the Fury with a chain or belt...how can you have a "chopper" that is a shaft drive or FI??? They did a great thing with the Fury and used the design of the VLX (which they discontinued in '07, STUPIDEST decision Honda ever made) and gave it the hard tail look with a suspension.

The site is not for everyone and there may not be much information on such a new bike, but www.shadowriders.net is THE best place to find information on anything Shadow related.

WARNING: It is not your family friendly site. Follow the rules; fill out your profile, post pictures in your gallery, introduce yourself in the proper thread and SEARCH before asking questions that have been asked 1,000+ times before. Do that and you will not have an issue...don't and I can promise you will be eaten alive. Disregard the standard welcome (F***OFF NOOB), it is their way of welcoming you and weeding out the thin skinned...noting is really meant by it at all.

Glad that your better half loves the bike, I am biased but Honda makes the perfect cruiser for every size.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
This thread is too funny/coincidental. 7:45 AM, THIS MORNING, the phone rings, I'm on my way to work...pick up, and, it's the wife. She says" I know what bike I want, A Honda Shadow!".....
Come home tonight, hop on the forum...and lo and behold, just the info I was looking for. Thanks again guys....

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 07 vt750c2 shadow 750. It's an awesome bike. I love it in the twisties and it is quite nimble. You can get forward controls for these bikes, and also a different seat will sit you a little higher up and change the position where it isn't so bad for those that aren't short. With highway pegs, floorboards, and a good seat I can go all day on my shadow. I have done multiple trips from Georgia to Michigan this year with it, and it is great. Super good in the corners, plus gets 55 mpg on average on 87 octane, so it's real easy on the gas.

These are great little bikes, and I keep mine as a daily commuter/solo rider/canyon carver when the wife doesn't want to be out on the nomad.

I also see my friend BE on this thread. He is a whiz on the shadows and a wealth of information. I met him at a shadowriders rally earlier on this year, where people rode there shadows in from all over the place.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Still no engine guards?:thinking:
Those are old pics. I'm just THAT slow at posting pics.

Great bike!

To each their own on carburetors vs. FI, chain vs. shaft. Personally I like a carburetor over FI and although I hate the maintenance of a chain, I prefer it over shaft. I really wish Honda would have made the Fury with a chain or belt...how can you have a "chopper" that is a shaft drive or FI??? They did a great thing with the Fury and used the design of the VLX (which they discontinued in '07, STUPIDEST decision Honda ever made) and gave it the hard tail look with a suspension.
I understand preferring a chain/belt drive... but why not FI? Who wouldn't want no maintenance, more horsepower, and easy startup? Maybe it's just me :p Just curious though, seems like FI is kind of a hands down winner.

I wouldn't mind a carb though. It's the chain maintenance I didn't wanna deal with. Belt would be cool too. I tell ya what though, this shaft is pretty good. Good, smooth power delivery, not too much 'lash' or anything. Good machine!

This thread is too funny/coincidental. 7:45 AM, THIS MORNING, the phone rings, I'm on my way to work...pick up, and, it's the wife. She says" I know what bike I want, A Honda Shadow!".....
Come home tonight, hop on the forum...and lo and behold, just the info I was looking for. Thanks again guys....
You got it! You won't go wrong with that one. Good bike for sure!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts