Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story:

I used to work for a plating shop (zinc, black oxide, phosphate, zinc nickel, e-coat, etc.) as a maintenance supervisor.

We used a local machine shop for our machining, since we didn't have lathes or milling machines.

The guy there, Joe, had an old bike sitting there for years in his shop collecting dust. His brother had given it to him. My Dad (who used to be my boss) would always go into Joe's shop and ask him about the old dusty bike. One day a few months back, he went in and Joe asked him if he wanted it. My dad said sure, took it, and gave it to me.

It is complete, and in relatively good condition, but requires some work.

So, for the next while (I am thinking it will take a few years since I have kids and a job and can't devote lots of time to it) but I am going to restore it as close to original as possible. It is a cool looking little bike.

I haven't had time to take any pictures yet (I got it last night) but here is what it looks like:

Kinda cool!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm a product of the 60's 2 stroke generation. Remember the Jawas. Looks similar to my old Suzuki Titan 500. With good gas and oil the old two strokes were bullet proof. Just needed spark plugs cleaned/replaced fairly often.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I'm a product of the 60's 2 stroke generation. Remember the Jawas. Looks similar to my old Suzuki Titan 500. With good gas and oil the old two strokes were bullet proof. Just needed spark plugs cleaned/replaced fairly often.
I remember the Jawas well from the early seventies. They ran pretty well and just screamed their little Communists hearts out.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. I don't think this will be setting any land speed records any time soon, but it will be a neat project. It is Czechoslovakian, I think I have only ever seen one or two in my life before, so it is unique!

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Yep. I don't think this will be setting any land speed records any time soon, but it will be a neat project. It is Czechoslovakian, I think I have only ever seen one or two in my life before, so it is unique!
They were wildly popular in motocross and enduro back in the day. I remember them giving my Penton a run for its money when I ran enduro. Bultaco was tough to beat also.
Jawa CZ put probably millions of east Europeans on the road with reliable transportation.
If your bike is like the one in the pic, I believe that the oil pump is that protrusion on the left cover.
Good luck restoring it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yep, forgot about the Bultco. Around 1966 I saw my first Ducati 250. Then came their 350. Wanted one so bad, but at $1.75 an hour I couldn't afford to trade up from my '61 Comet, '66 Suzuki 120 and date. Girls came before the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Yep, forgot about the Bultco. Around 1966 I saw my first Ducati 250. Then came their 350. Wanted one so bad, but at $1.75 an hour I couldn't afford to trade up from my '61 Comet, '66 Suzuki 120 and date. Girls came before the bike.
Haha, '61 Comet! I remember putting a car together out of Comet and Valiant parts. I called it a Vomit!

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Hell, like me, you're old enough to remember the Hodaka.:D

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Another long-forgotten Japanese bike was the Bridgestone. But when they were being manufactured, they were without dispute the finest Japanese motorcycles made!

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Had a Super Rat way back. What a wheelie monster with no low end power.
Some piston machining and a reed valve fixed that up.
They were one of the lightest enduro bikes around; great when trying to extract yourself from the mud and muck! The chrome tanks were a little weird though.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yep, remember the Bridgestone and Hodaka. '61 Comet had a two speed transmission, no A/C, no power steering nor power brakes. Top speed with the wind behind it was 72 mph. But it would cruise all day at 55mph. Bought it for $525, drove it for two years and sold it for $500. Only replaced the battery and tires. Wife had a '63 Comet. Also had a '61(?) Tempest, 4cyl, three in the floor and NO OIL FILTER. Paid $500 for it, drove it for two years and sold it for $500. Still had the same tires on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts