Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many of us, I like to listen to some tunes now and then when I ride. Nothing better than some bangin' bass while plowing some miles. And like a lot of us, I used my mp3 player and ear buds...which frankly hurt like a mutha. So I did some research. I checked various places which provided user feedback and for the price, I found that the Shark 250 Watt system was getting great reviews. Nice Speaker (waterproof) and small sized amp with FM radio. The Amp has a clock which I don't use, but has treble and bass controls as well as tone controls for AUX...which for me is my mp3 players. The speaker brackets mount onto the mirror perchs and you can point them at YOU or anyone else. After instaling everything ( you have to make you own bracket for the amp if you want it close at hand) I took my bike for a little cruise. Even at highway speed and my full face helmet shut tight, I could easilty hear Motly Crue's Girls, Girls, Girls.

Cost...$130...

Got it from Gooddeals18.com

Toymaker

·
Registered
711 Posts
Share some pictures with the group :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here it is.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here it is.
How does the system sound? I'm seriously looking at the same or similar system with the upgraded speakers like you have. Is there much base sound from the speakers? What do you like or dislike about the system?

Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a lot of bass, but it does come with an eq that helps. I use mine all the time....I like riding with a few tunes going...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aparently the price has gone up.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think so...I have been rained on pretty badly and it still works. The speakers are I know that... I have had the unit on now for about 5 months and I have no complaints...the FM radio side is a little weak, but I use my MP# player and it is killer. Loud enough I can hear it with my full face helmet on, going down the superslab.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Toymaker,
I am getting ready to buy one just like that, have you noticed any battery drain from using it?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope, none at all. I have mine wired in the headlight bucket and when it is off, the only thing that draws power is the digital clock on it....minor power drain. I ride most every day and so the battery is always charged, but I don't think the drain is much at all.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey Toymaker,
I am getting ready to buy one just like that, have you noticed any battery drain from using it?
you can get the 100 watt system for $130.91 and from what I have read the only difference in the 250w and 100 w is they will sound the same unless you are getting a subwoofer. I would definitely go with the "upgraded" speakers which are included in the $130 package. Apparently the additional wattage is just for the subwoofer. If you get one before me let me know how you like it and I'll do the same. I'm hoping to get mine before ROT Rally.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd get a subwoffer but I don't know where I'd put it. The upgraded speakers are great.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Depending on its shape, perhaps under the sissybar pad. IS there a Sub designed for it and waterproof?

EDIT:

The sub is big for a motorcycle. Wouldn't look good attached to the sissybar. It could fit inside a saddlebag. Cut a hole in the front of it and stick the sub out. Lose a lot of storage.

I wonder if you can attach under the saddle bag port side.

The sub I found on the site is 7.4" diameter by 9" long tube shaped for $38.91

·
Registered
59 Posts
based on your recommendation I purchased the speakers today....I can hardly wait to get them

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got a question... I read in the owners manual that the 900 can only handle 70 watts in accessories. Are audio watts (250w speakers) different from the wattage mentioned in the manual? I too was thinking of buying the shark system, and this was the only thing holding me back.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The system won't "draw" 250 watts from your motorcycle. It amps it up.

Also it is probably RMS for the speakers meaning that each speaker does not receive and put out 250 watts. More like 50 watts each.

Looks like it draws 15 watts from the motorcycle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Joe, do you know if there is a way to figure out the exact amount of watts drawn from the bike. I already have LED fog lamps that draw approx 1-3 watts and heated winter gloves that draw 22. Thanks

1 - 20 of 95 Posts