Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I just installed 230 tire and lowering kit after I put it all together and am positive the rear tire is centered and straight I notice that on the right side of the bike I have about 3/4 inch clearance from tire side wall to fender and on left I have about 1/16 inch of clearance. Im not sure what to do now. I could just leave it and it may rub the littlest bit and make a very small grove in the tire. Or does anyone know how to fix it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
My Previous bike had a similar problem. You can take it all off, and 1) take a hammer to the inside and make a dent in just the right spot :rolleyes:, 2) take it all off and cut out a small indention and weld over the cut frame, 3) do nothing and just keep an eye on the tire. There's quite a bit of tread right there at at the lip of the sidewall and tread.:D

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
You could also just pull the tire over a bit to the wider side with the adjustments. Being off-center like that won't hurt the tire on a motorcycle. Exagerated offset will cause you to "crab" down the road though.

Pay attention to what happens on the drive belt; you don't want that to be too far off it's correct placement.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You shouldn't be that much off set. I want to say I got about 1/2" or less on either side. Are you sure all washers and spacers were installed? Do you have the tension adjustments equal on both sides? Or maybe to much tension on the belt. I have been told the belt should run to the outside of the belt guide and the tension on the belt should allow you to turn a section of the belt 90 degrees with out to much resistance. The tire fits in there snugly and the trail should be centered.

Have you taken it out for a ride yet? Your belt will defenatly let you know if it is to tight when you go for a ride. Hope you find the fix, let us know. And like you said, you could leave it and just keep an eye on it. With that said, Welcome to the 230 club. There's not to many of us out there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just found a standard looking washer near where I worked on the bike, don't remember taking it off but would they use just a standard washer to correct the off set?
Thanks for the welcome, the 230 tire looks absolutely sick!

·
Registered
208 Posts
It is very possible that could be a spacing washer. If it is the correct diameter of the axl I think you may have found the problem.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well look at it this way, now you have experiance in how it all comes apart. Shouldn't take you to long to do it now. If you re-used the cotter pin, I would look into changing it this time around. You may be ok with it if it is not to beat up. Let us know if you get the problem worked out.

AND WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!! No pics, then the mod never happened.

On my end, I was able to put 270 miles on my tire today. Clear blue skies and 70 degrees. Just had to brag a little :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm glad someone is driving......

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your help gillisfire20. i will have pics up as soon as the chicago weather gives me a mild sunny day to take pics.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When you go from 180 to the 230 tire, Do you keep the same rim or you have to change the rim as well? I think that the 230 tire makes the bike look so much different..(in a nice way!!)

·
Registered
208 Posts
How about an update Brandto25. Was that washer the problem?

And to Youngblud, yes it is the stock rim that you use.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How about an update Brandto25. Was that washer the problem?

And to Youngblud, yes it is the stock rim that you use.
Gillisfire20, thank you for the answer.

Can someone post step by step instructions on how to do this, with pics if possible (if there's more to it then just changing the tire on the rim and re installing it)??

Thank you in advance!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't think there are any detailed instructions on doing this. It is not anything to hard to do. There are threads on what needs to be done to make this tire fit, nothing hard just triming a few things.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just finished installing that damn washer... just about dead center now. ill have some pics for ya soon. thanks for ur help man.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks awesome!! When it's time to change my rear I'm gonna switch.

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
just bought my 230, was curious as to what kind of air pressure you guys are running in them on the stock rim?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dadgum.... That 230 Sure looks good with a lowerin Kit!!! I think I'll have to pull off my OD Front pulley to make sure I can fit a 230 in there and lower it!!!
Looks Great!!! Thanks for the Photobucket album link gillisfire20!! Great comparison shots for those of us looking at doing this mod.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts