Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys- Has anyone experienced this after having their tires changed.......

Last week i took my bike to the dealer for new Michelin's to be installed. On my way home i noticed a slight shuddering when coming to a stop. I only noticed it when i coming down from about 15 mph all the way down to about 2 or 3 mph.
I called the dealer they said to make sure nothing is obviously loose and to bring it back if it continues. Nothing feels loose. I thought maybe the brakes but i was able to duplicate the issue by getting up to about 30 mph and putting it in neutral. I then just coast until i hit about 15mph and then it starts shuddering / vibrating until 2 or 3 mph. It does not shake or vibrate when i am stopped.
Maybe its possible that it vibrates whenever i am moving but since the motorcycle naturally vibrates at a higher speed i just don't notice it? Any thoughts?
Its a 2012 Vulcan 900 Custom

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sounds like a balance issue. Perhaps lost a weight. Have the dealer recheck it or have Dyna-Beads put in.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I'd first put it up on a stand and hand-rotate the wheel to check for out-of-round condition or anything that might be rubbing incorrectly, such as a sticking brake caliper.

Next I would check wheel balance. There have been discussions re: standard wheel weights vs dynamic balancing beads. I've used both, and they both work fine.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
If you JUST got the tires changed; I'd take it right back to where the tires got changed. Let them figure it out. You paid for it, it ought to be right!

·
Registered
814 Posts
If you JUST got the tires changed; I'd take it right back to where the tires got changed. Let them figure it out. You paid for it, it ought to be right!
AGREE!!!

Also, I don't think an out of balance condition could even be felt at 15 mph or less, certainly not "shudder" as described.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Absolutely!! Take it back to the dealer. From your description, it sounds like you might have a bad tire, possibly a loose belt internally. I wouldn't waste any time in taking it back to the dealer and have them make it right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I dropped it off tonight. I guess we'll see what they say. I was a little nervous driving it thinking a tire might fly off at any moment.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
I bought my Michelins and I was getting the same thing. I went to the dealer to have the balance checked and they asked me what it was doing. I said I get a little sort of wobble bounce at low speeds 10-15 mph. They pulled the tire off the rim and checked it and the rim. After 2 hours they said there was nothing wrong with the tire. It was perfectly round and when they spun it at high speeds they could not find any bulges or abnormalities. After they remounted and balanced it I didn't feel it much any more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well after 2 weeks at the dealer they informed me that the bike is performing fine. Better than most is what the service writer said.
The problem is still there. I purchased a service manual to try and figure out what could have happened. Maybe a bearing or some belt adjustment? One guy told me that there are dots on the tire that have to match up with the valve stems.

when i am accelerating i do not notice it. Its when i am coasting or slowing down. Its not my brakes because its there if i use them or just let gravity slow me down. It doesn't get worse with speed which to me kind of rules out balancing issues.
Its not a terrible vibration but more like an intermittent shudder. Almost like my rim is rubbing something occasionally. I cant tell if this dealership really doesn't feel it or just wants me to go away.
They want me to ride 300 more miles and see how it feels but i don't want something to fly off. Its obviously something. They know its my first bike since i bought it there and i feel as though they use my newbiness as a way to brush off my concerns a little bit. I called another dealer to see if the would take a look at it but it turns out that the new dealer is good friends with the manager of the other dealer lol. He said bring it back to them again. Gotta love his honesty!
If anyone knows what could have happened than please let me hear it. When I am slowing down and start hitting 15mph or so, its starts the shuddering but its not violent- it just was never there before the tires were replaced.The bike only has 5000 miles on it.
Thanks for all the replies earlier...

·
Registered
814 Posts
Bike repair shops are reluctant to criticize a competitor or get in the middle of a dispute, for good reason. Have another shop evaluate your bike but make no mention of any previous evaluation. Tell them your buddy installed the tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts